Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Falvey: "...We're going to target impact pitching."

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,414 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:19 AM

Make it rain up in here, Derek.

http://www.startribu...rket/562665252/

• glunn, brvama, Sconnie and 8 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#2 spycake

spycake

• 17,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

Falvey: "...We're going to target impact pitching."

To be fair, Martín Pérez often provided a certain kind of impact. :)

• USAFChief, Blake, Mike Sixel and 11 others like this

#3 twinkies8791

twinkies8791

Elizabethton Twins

• 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:00 AM

all talk...  

• denarded, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 8 others like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,084 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Make it rain up in here, Derek.

http://www.startribu...rket/562665252/

*Sniffs air*

*Pulls grass to determine which direction the wind is blowing*

Yep, it's hope selling season! Didn't even wait for the playoff corpse to get cold...
  • Blake, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 11 others like this

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,800 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

This would be a good place to remind readership that the Twins could have Gerritt Cole right now, for the trading price centering around Nick Gordon.

Then there was the Syndergaard-Buxton trade rumor at this year’s deadline. That was roundly panned. It’s a couple years yet to be seen if such a hypothetical trade would have paid off, but having Syndergaard this postseason might have made a huge impact. Of course, Buxton is popular among the players and it might not have gone over too well in the clubhouse, and Buxton may yet still contribute in future seasons..

Sano was a rumored trade piece as well. When Sano was hitting this summer, I made several posts praising him but also stating I felt the holes in his swing would be exploited in a postseason series. A couple posters engaged in that conversation, but mostly those posts were rebutted or ignored.

So in my opinion, these are empty words by Falvey until he actually follows through.
  • Mike Sixel, notoriousgod71, mikelink45 and 5 others like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,356 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Falvine are no dummies - they watched their 101 win team swept aside like a toy in the ALDS. 

They've moved methodically, and improved this team and its long term future along the way.

This is crunch time, and I have faith they will address it.

Man the sky is all kinds of blue today!

• birdwatcher, Blake, Cris E and 16 others like this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

As long as it's not the kind of impact opposing hitters make with their bat on the ball, I'm on board.

• Blake, diehardtwinsfan, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

#8 brvama

brvama

• 603 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

I agree Monkeypaws. For years there seem to be no plan in place to improve this team. Today our FO has a plan and has been following it. I will withhold my evaluation of “exceeds my expectations” until Feb, but for now they are meeting my expectations and following the plan the have laid out to us. Now, the rubber meets the road!
  • birdwatcher, Blake, Monkeypaws and 4 others like this

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

This would be a good place to remind readership that the Twins could have Gerritt Cole right now, for the trading price centering around Nick Gordon.

Then there was the Syndergaard-Buxton trade rumor at this year’s deadline. That was roundly panned. It’s a couple years yet to be seen if such a hypothetical trade would have paid off, but having Syndergaard this postseason might have made a huge impact. Of course, Buxton is popular among the players and it might not have gone over too well in the clubhouse, and Buxton may yet still contribute in future seasons..

Sano was a rumored trade piece as well. When Sano was hitting this summer, I made several posts praising him but also stating I felt the holes in his swing would be exploited in a postseason series. A couple posters engaged in that conversation, but mostly those posts were rebutted or ignored.

So in my opinion, these are empty words by Falvey until he actually follows through.

While I was willing to give away a lot for Syndergaard, Buxton isn't that piece. The Twins have a good farm system and a 100-win team, now is not the time to trade away MLB pieces for other MLB pieces unless obvious redundancy is available.

And, as we saw in the OF this season, there is no such thing as OF redundancy when Byron Buxton is involved. This team probably wins 105 games and starts the postseason in Minnesota if Buxton is on the field.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Blake and 13 others like this

#10 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

Great to hear, but like the others, I will believe it when I see it. I have been a Twins fan for a long time and there have been things like this said for years with nothing ever done about it. 

As of right now, I see this as damage control brought on by their pitching getting completely destroyed in their playoff series. 

Pay some money, trade some prospects, make it happen. Don't waste this core like the previous regime wasted the last one. It is a GREAT core, now supplement where needed and let's make a run at it!

• Mike Sixel, mikelink45, laloesch and 3 others like this

#11 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,800 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

While I was willing to give away a lot for Syndergaard, Buxton isn't that piece. The Twins have a good farm system and a 100-win team, now is not the time to trade away MLB pieces for other MLB pieces unless obvious redundancy is available.

And, as we saw in the OF this season, there is no such thing as OF redundancy when Byron Buxton is involved. This team probably wins 105 games and starts the postseason in Minnesota if Buxton is on the field.

I wasn’t willing to give up Buxton either, but I think it should be open for discussion.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#12 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,494 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Before burying Falvine with the tired "Twins never do anything" comments, why not give the guy a chance?They are currently in a position with the current regime they have never been in before, how about we let it play out before determining it "all talk" and "empty words."Personally, I like the pro-activeness.There's not beating around the bush, they know we need pitching.......go prove yourselves right boys.

• SQUIRREL, glunn, birdwatcher and 14 others like this

#13 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:32 AM

Before burying Falvine with the tired "Twins never do anything" comments, why not give the guy a chance?They are currently in a position with the current regime they have never been in before, how about we let it play out before determining it "all talk" and "empty words."Personally, I like the pro-activeness.There's not beating around the bush, they know we need pitching.......go prove yourselves right boys.

Maybe because they had chances this past season to trade for it and didn't? Or sign guys like Kuechel on a 1-year deal and didn't?

It's just been too many times it hasn't happened. Yes, the front office is different, but the ownership hasn't changed. 

I hope they do. I have really liked alot of the things they have done and changed around this team. Let us see if the combination of them and the ownership allows them to take a chance for once. 

Edited by Battle ur tail off, 10 October 2019 - 09:32 AM.

• Mike Sixel and Dome Dogg like this

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,414 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 October 2019 - 09:58 AM

All true.

I'm skeptical, but it's encouraging to see acknowledgment of the issue, and recognition of the path to improvement.

I'll give them until 72 hrs after the WS ends before I bring out any pitchforks.:P

• birdwatcher, Blake, Puckett34 and 7 others like this

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

To be fair, Martín Pérez often provided a certain kind of impact. :)

I don't like you right now... :)

• DocBauer and Tomj14 like this

#16 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,715 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:14 AM

The rumor was Kirilloff and Lewis for Thor. Buxton was to be the headliner for Stroman. I wouldn't have made either of those deals.

• birdwatcher, Cris E, LA VIkes Fan and 8 others like this

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

Falvine are no dummies - they watched their 101 win team swept aside like a toy in the ALDS. 

They've moved methodically, and improved this team and its long term future along the way.

This is crunch time, and I have faith they will address it.

Man the sky is all kinds of blue today!

I hope you're right... There's two names I'm pretty pumped about... Cole and (presumably) Strassburg.That's impact pitching in my book, and one of those names would be pretty nice.

Bumgardner and Wheeler are my tier 2, but neither of those guys really excites me that much as both seemed to have regressed. Perhaps Johnson can figure something out there, but beyond those 4, there really aren't a lot of impact names. 

We need at least one of those guys, preferably 2. 

• Kelly Vance and KidBro like this

#18 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:19 AM

The rumor was Kirilloff and Lewis for Thor. Buxton was to be the headliner for Stroman. I wouldn't have made either of those deals.

Other way around, but yeah, me neither.

Edited by Steve Lein, 10 October 2019 - 10:19 AM.

• birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#19 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,414 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:43 AM

Other way around, but yeah, me neither.

The rumor was Kirilloff or Lewis for Stroman.

https://sports.yahoo...-201615870.html

Originally the rumors centered around prospects for Thor, too, with the Mets later bringing up Buxton's name, as I recall.

#20 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

And still gotten swept. No pitching matters.
  • notoriousgod71, mikelink45 and jkcarew like this