Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: 8 Twins Who Could be on the Move for 2020

c.j. cron jake odorizzi sergio romo michael pineda jason castro
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,883 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

Yes, I haven't seen much comment on Dyson, but I've been thinking the same, even going as far as making it a two-year deal. If Pineda was $2M+$8M and MLBTR projects him at $6.6M in arbitration, how about something like $1M + $7M?

Pretty close to what I was thinking. Anywhere from $750K-$1M first year. Your $7M is probably fair. I was thinking more like $5M guaranteed with bonuses that would take him up to $7M+
  • IndianaTwin likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#82 Jham

Jham

• 2,230 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

I also think there is no way the Twins pay that either. IF they do plan on bringing Cron back, you have to probably assume they decline arbitration and offer him a 1 year deal more in the 4-5M range.

I don't think Cron makes it through waivers. He's relatively young, relatively productive, and has the upside for a breakout season (basically if he sandwiched his healthy 1st half). Unlike when the Twins took the chance, he's now shown he can be defensive asset.

Cron in his final arb year only costs money 1 year. The pitching we're discussing will be 4 or 5 year deals. This staff loves 1 year deals. Insurance for a Cruz injury isn't awful either.

I'd rather pay a little more for short term investments than have an extra couple million thinking that will be the difference on Cole and not the 6th and 7th year and extra 75 million the Yankees are going to offer.

#83 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

Jason Castro - I like him, but I would rather spend the money elsewhere. Astudillo should be a serviceable backup. I also don't want to carry 3 catchers.

C.J. Cron - I'd offer him a reasonable one year contract. I would use him as a lefty masher/platoon/bench bat.

Jonathan Schoop - Again I like him, but he no longer fits with this team.

Kyle Gibson - This is the guy I'm most torn on. I wish he could figure out how to be consistently good, but I probably let him walk. If he wants a one year make good deal--I would be fine with it.

Michael Pineda - I'll take him back, but I wouldn't do more than a two years $20MM deal.

Martin Perez - Buy out his option and let him walk.

Jake Odorizzi - In my mind this is a no-brainer. Jake is my first priority. I'd go up to four years for $60MM. Doesn't like it? Then he gets the qualifying offer.

Sergio Romo - I'd take him back for a small one year deal for $3MM, but I worry about his knee.

Finally I go hard after Cole. I don't think he will come up here, but I give it my best shot. I would offer five years for $200MM.

Someone is going to get burned with Cole. He pitches like his last 2 years in Pittsburgh or has some arm injury.

Someone mentioned Wheeler. Well expect a 1.35 WHIP or so in the AL.

#84 justinone

justinone

• 19 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:59 AM

Someone is going to get burned with Cole. He pitches like his last 2 years in Pittsburgh or has some arm injury.

Someone mentioned Wheeler. Well expect a 1.35 WHIP or so in the AL.

I doubt Cole is healthy/great 5-6 years from now, but I'm sure that's the contract length he is looking for. That being said he has been the best pitcher in baseball this year and for the Twins to get two similar years would be franchise altering. The top rotations in baseball are not home-grown. You have to take that risk if you want to compete. I would rather have Cole and a couple of our AAAA pitchers than three mid-tier free agent starters. 

Now Wheeler I'm not as high on. He could be the number two starter on a decent team, but he needs some refining. I would take a chance only if we don't get Cole and the price doesn't get too high. 

Edited by justinone, 30 October 2019 - 07:02 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c.j. cron, jake odorizzi, sergio romo, michael pineda, jason castro