Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Front Page: 8 Twins Who Could be on the Move for 2020

c.j. cron jake odorizzi sergio romo michael pineda jason castro
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Twins1964

Twins1964

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

Sign Gibson to a 1 year, incentive loaded contract, with an option for 1 more year of a similar contract. He reinvented himself once and I believe he will be strongly motivated to do so again.

Tigers don’t change their stripes. KG has always been an obstinate head case. Twins won’t pay him what his elevated self worth thinks is due him. Wes Johnson and staff can spend their time more effectively than trying to get KG to change.
  • mikelink45, Shaitan, Captain18s and 2 others like this

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

Time to move Sano to 1B. Sure, a guy that big with that kind of arm at 3B is an amazing sight, but, he doesn't have the range or agility to dive and get back up -- witness the balls hit by him in the Yankees series. And, he won't help anyone once he pulls a hammy from running after foul pops.

Sano to 1B, Cron given his papers.

Gibson and Perez, would someone figure out their pitching performance against Central Division opponents and the rest of the league?

At some point, beating up on patsies in the Central just doesn't equate to being a ML pitcher who can deal with first tier competition.

Revamp around Odo and Berrios. At some point, either Buxton or Rosario has to be traded for a front-line starter.

• Captain18s likes this

#23 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 605 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

Only way I’d bring back Perez is if he’s willing to move to the bullpen.
  • DocBauer likes this

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,874 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:09 PM

I don't understand why people want Pineda, Odorizzi, Perez, and Gibson back.At some point one has to realize that if they do things the same way, the results will be the same (0 for the postseason.)

This pitching staff needs major overhaul, and the biggest elephant in the room is that Berrios has not improved in 3 major league seasons...I hope that the new regime realizes that and makes drastic changes.They need 2 pitchers better than Berrios to compete in the postseason.

Cron was third in the majors in xwOBA-wOBA and not sure that there are any cheaper better performing free agents or that any of the farm solutions are ready for a postseason contender.

Fully appreciate many of your thoughts but can't completely agree.

I don't want Perez back unless its on a cheap flier. I respect Gibson a lot and think he's been undersold because he wasn't a stud steal everyone wanted him to be. If he could prove diet and medication could do the trick, I could be convinced on a flier with incentives.

My sticking point is Oddo, Pineda and especially Berrios. Odorizzi is no stud. Except, he generally is for about 5 IP, sometimes 6. I'd take him for my #3 SP. Healthy, Pineda is very nice. Those 2 for my 3rd and 4th slots? I have no problem.

I don't know if Berrios will ever evolve in to a #1. I don't know that he won't. But the arm, ethic, attitude is all there. Kid won't be 26 until next season. I'm still betting on the kid to be a stud #2 at least.
  • rdehring and Jacks02 like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,874 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:02 PM

Great thread!

My opinions:

Castro: Questionable. But I see him coming back to catch 30-40%. I just don't see a big offer for him comjng despite being a solid backstop overall. Despite a late slump, he had a nice season coming off knee surgery. But he is in the perfect place right now. He wasn't the #1 And I don't feel anyone will believe be can be that at this point. The young catchers in the system aren't ready yet. He's smart at a reduced salary about $4-5M.

Cron: He plays solid defense, can hit, hit with power, and is coming off his best 2 career seasons. If not for the thumb injury, this might have been his best year yet. Prospects are not yet ready. Unless there is some move yet to take place that moves Sano to 1B, (I don't see it) he is back. Find me solid defense, and power and production to exceed him for $5M and I'm fine.

Odorizzi and Pineda: Tell me how you can find 2 better options than these 2 for your 3rd and 4th SP for a combined salary of around $27-30M and I will tip my cap to you and suggest you send in a resume to the MLB team of your choice. And really, unless things just blow up in the 2020 FA market, why would either WANT to leave?

Romo: Wheels are going to fall off one day. Rhetoric, but nothing wrong with a 1yr deal. Guy still gets it done most days. And he's fun and experienced and a good clubhouse guy. He made less than $3M this season. He will probably slide down behind Duffey and May, but why wouldn't you bring him back?

Schoop: Great Guy! Productive and good defense. But be doesn't fit. We all know this, so does he. Gone.

Perez: Big question mark! The FO knows him, believed in his potential, and we saw glimpses of it. Great start! Poor middle. Mediocre finish with decent glimpses. HUGE FA signing, he's gone. Lesser FA signing or trade, budget says maybe bring him back on a decent deal to compete for the 5th spot. Logic says he's gone unless he takes a small deal to come back to re-invent himself as a RP.

Gibson: HUGE question mark. Super Guy! Quality SP, if you truly reflect on his career. But how on earth do the Twins, or anyone, look at his illness and decide to sign him with optimism at this point? In limited action his FB showed real life out of the pen. But even still, can he convert? Can he maintain velocity with day to day use? Could he possibly maintain himself every 5th day for a full season as a SP? Unfortunately, his question marks are larger than any future potential. I think he's gone, unless he is a late signing flier. I honestly think he will be signed as a milb invite.

Dyson: Not mentioned, but I'm including him here. The Twins cou,d easily walk away. But they could also do a split deal, like they did with Pineda, and sign him to a "small" 2020 contract, hoping for the best, with a 2021 option with incentives in mind.
  • Major League Ready, IndianaTwin, gagu and 2 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#26 Brandon

Brandon

• 2,029 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

Cron hit well before his injury.If he is good to go by Spring training then I say bring him back for 1 more year.  

Castro.I would sign him to a 2 year contract at around 6-7 million per season to be the 40-45% of the time Catcher.

Romo a 1 year 3-4 million is fine.more than that probably not.

Schoop and Perez are definitely not coming back.though Schoop did a good job so he should get offers this offseason.  

Gibson, Odorizzi. and Pineda.I am fine with bringing back 1, 2, or all 3.Once a player like Gibson has been around a long time,I like to see them stick around even past their shelf life so I will leave that decision to management but I am fine with bringing Gibson back because I think he can be a solid 4th starter for us.One who could win 12-15 games in a season.It all depends on costs and other moves made.

• wabene likes this

#27 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,454 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:46 AM

The Twins will probably have to add 5-7 (at the msot) new guys. With all the pitchers currently on the roster, you wonder how many guys they will honestly add who MIGHT NOT play in the majors in 2019.

To the list above, don't see the Twins sticking with Dyson, unless they can work out a reasonable two-year deal.

Trevor Hildenberger will be gone. Ryne Harper might be, too.

With Wade and Cave and anyone else, no need to keep LaMarre and Miller on the 40-man roster. Torreyes will also be jettisoned, but aybe brought back on a minor league, if he wishes to stay with the Twins.

Looking at like 14 spots. And the Twins still do have to look at Gonsalves, Romero, Stewart, Wade (or Cave). What to do with Nick Gordon (replacement for Adrianza?).

Also, has Adrianza maybe priced himself out of the picture for the moment? 

• DocBauer and gagu like this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#28 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,441 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:37 AM

he ends up in NY, gets healthy and gets 16 wins for their team (including two against the Twins, <in the playoffs> of course).

Heh... FTFY.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#29 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,441 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:39 AM

Well, I kind of have to like Gibson's section beginning with the words, "Moving on..."

• 70charger likes this

#30 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,441 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:42 AM

I don't understand why people want Pineda, Odorizzi, Perez, and Gibson back.At some point one has to realize that if they do things the same way, the results will be the same (0 for the postseason.)

This pitching staff needs major overhaul, and the biggest elephant in the room is that Berrios has not improved in 3 major league seasons...I hope that the new regime realizes that and makes drastic changes.They need 2 pitchers better than Berrios to compete in the postseason.

Cron was third in the majors in xwOBA-wOBA and not sure that there are any cheaper better performing free agents or that any of the farm solutions are ready for a postseason contender.

I'm not opposed to keeping Cron around, either. He did OK, and hit some clutch dingers when healthy, but he really dragged in the 2nd half with that injury. I kind of see him as a Schoop-style stopgap, until one of those young sluggers (can Kiriloff-Larnach-Rooker play 1B?) forces his way onto the squad.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#31 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,064 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:20 AM

A guy who can win 14 games and pitch to a sub-4.00 FIP, while striking out almost a batter per inning AND log 200 innings in the AMERICAN LEAGUE is a very, very good pitcher. That's a horse. Justin Verlander's don't grow on trees.

Even the Astros and their mighty rotation is on the brink of elimination. How are the Tampa Bay Rays doing it? By sending out Charlie Morton (great free agent pickup), Blake Snell, Ryan Yarbrough and Tyler Glasnow - don't know where the last two guys came from, but it was certainly out of nowhere! And some of them are following "openers" all year.

I think the Twins need to get creative and start using the Kevin Cash blueprint. Spend some money on decent middle relievers next year and use them as openers.

• Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#32 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,559 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

The Twins currently have 42 players on their 40-man roster.I expect them to remove about 12 players to get to 30.Removing 12 (you have listed 7 above, not including Cron) will see some quality players at risk of being gone from the organization. 

Add at least 3 starting pitchers, one reliever and a 2nd/3rd catcher and you are back up to 35.That leaves 5 spots for adds from players who are Rule 5 eligible this December.At last count, I had 7 who were considered strong candidates to be added (Blankenhorn, Colina, Jax, Rijo, Raley, Duran and Javier).Its gonna be tight.Very likely someone we all like is going to be headed elsewhere on draft day, or sooner when DFA'd off the 40-man.  

• wabene likes this

#33 pierre75275

pierre75275

• 468 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:51 AM

I still think you let Cron and Castro walk.
Assuming Yasmani Grandel mutual option is declined by either him or the brewers, sign him.
You then have one of the most flexible rosters in MLB with a bench of:
Marwin
Adrianza
Williams Austidillo
Cave/Wade

#34 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 501 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:26 AM

I still think you let Cron and Castro walk.
Assuming Yasmani Grandel mutual option is declined by either him or the brewers, sign him.
You then have one of the most flexible rosters in MLB with a bench of:
Marwin
Adrianza
Williams Austidillo
Cave/Wade

Why would the Twins sign Grandal to play 1B?Somebody is going to pay him to play C.

• DannySD likes this

#35 pierre75275

pierre75275

• 468 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

He would primarily play catcher. He played first base for the Brewers this year. Garver and Sano could also play first base
  • bighat likes this

#36 luckylager

luckylager

• 385 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

My wish list:

Castro: Yes (as a low cost backup)

Cron: Yes 

Schoop: No 

Gibson: No 

Big Mike: Yes

Odorizzi: Yes

Perez: No

Romo: Yes

• Twins33, 70charger, Kelly Vance and 3 others like this

#37 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

This is so accurate. Sure, Odorizzi and Pineda were fine, but there's certainly room to upgrade, specifically on Odo if his price gets too high. 

I'm tired of all the excuses for Gibson. He's not a bad pitcher, but he's 32 years old. Why he still gets treated like some prospect who might still figure it out is baffling. 

Spot on for Berrios. I keep hoping for this big step forward but it's the same old same. Again, not a bad pitcher at all but expectations are too high for him. 

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#38 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 317 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:15 AM

Buxton and Sano are interesting ones. I believe Buxton is just one more injury away from being traded. He is a great talent but if he can only play a half season or less, I think Twins would be best to move him.

Sano--if they could parlay him into a trade for a top line starter, I would make that trade. Sano for me is one of the most frustrating hitters on the team. No question he has mammoth power, but as we saw in the post season, he still has those stretches where he can't hit sand on the beach.

#39 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 639 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

Tigers don’t change their stripes. KG has always been an obstinate head case. Twins won’t pay him what his elevated self worth thinks is due him. Wes Johnson and staff can spend their time more effectively than trying to get KG to change.

Do you have any evidence for that statement? Because if not, that just seems like a case of sour grapes.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, luckylager and 6 others like this

#40 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,814 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:46 AM

Good essay but I really object to the quote - "He will probably get a multi-year deal with someone other than the Minnesota Twins and all of you who hate Kyle will be extremely happy." 

I did not like his performance, even at his best I did not trust him in crucial games, but I do not know him and thus it is not personal, it is what baseball is - business.  

I would let everyone go except Odorizzi.With a finish like we had we need new people to come in who can move us to the next level.After the Pineda let down I do not resign him.I do not care if Perez would move to the pen, he would be out. 

The teams that let Schoop and Cron go last year saw what we should see this year - there are other options.Besides Arraez we have Gordon for 2B.At first base we have Kiriloff, Rooker, Larnach and if we move Sano it is really crowded.

Personally I do not move Sano.Who else do we have for 3B that can give us positive results and not just some better fielding?  

Because I do not trust the FO to move on pitchers I would see Berrios, Odorizzi, Graterol, one of the pick-em group of rookies who auditioned this year and one FA in the rotation. 

Astudillo will be the first half back up catcher and then, unless he is hitting the cover off the ball we will see Jeffers come up and eventually 1B could be Garver.

• bighat likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c.j. cron, jake odorizzi, sergio romo, michael pineda, jason castro