Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Who will lead this Twins core to a championship?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David A

David A

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:33 PM

In the age of analytics, it seems that the prevailing viewpoint is that the playoffs are a crapshoot. The only way to win a championship is to build a team that is capable of making the playoffs year in and year out, and hope that you get lucky. 

The Twins management seems to hold this viewpoint. Falvey and Levine are always talking about building a "sustainable winner." Baldelli has characterized this Yankees series as basically a random, unlucky roll of the dice. Here's a Baldelli quote on the series: "It's baseball, so that can happen. We've had other parts of our season where we played three games and didn't put very many runs on the board. You wish it doesn't happen in the playoffs, but it did." I think this thinking plays into his "I'm not frustrated" comment.

Yet, some teams succeed in the playoffs, and others don't. The Giants won 3 World series in 6 years earlier this decade. The Yankees won 4 in 5 years in the late 90s. The last 20 years, it seems like every time the Red Soxbuild a good/great team, they win a world series. What separates these teams from the great teams that failed? Dumb luck? The Mariners won 110 games, the Detroit teams earlier this decade sporting a rotations with of Scherzer, Verlander, Porcello, Sanchez and lineups with Cabrera and Martinez. Neither won a WS.

Many are saying that the Twins need a frontline starting pitcher to carry the team. As they say, good pitching always beats good hitting in the playoffs. I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I honestly think we just need a leader to carry the time in these spots. For the '87 and '91 Twins, the narrative is that Kirby put the team on his back and led the team to victory. I bet Bumgarner did the same for those Giants teams.

I would argue that this Twins team had the talent to succeed in the postseason this year, but they just lacked some sort of spark, a belief that they were better than those damn yankees. Who was the leader on this team? Cruz and Marwin should have been. Garver, Sano, Kepler, Polanco, Rosario could have been. All of these guys just looked defeated after that Didi HR in game 2, and after the 2nd inning based-loaded failure in game 3. 

To be clear, I'm not arguing that random variance doesn't contribute to outcomes in short playoff series, I'm not railing against analytics, and I don't really know how individual leadership translates to that spark that galvanizes teams in the postseason. Heck, it may even be true that these stories of leadership and clutch performance are simply post hoc explanations of the random process leading to some teams succeeding over others in short series. (I don't like to think that this is true, though, because if it's all random it'd kinda take the fun out of playoff baseball)

In the end, you are judged on whether you get it done in the playoffs. If clubhouse culture and leadership influences the probability that a team wins a WS, then Falvine and Baldelli need to make this a priority. It looks we've got a talented core that can give us a few chances in the postseason, so now's the time to capitalize. Will someone on the current team lead us there? How about guys like Lewis, Kirillof, Larnach?

• Blake, Hosken Bombo Disco and jkcarew like this

#2 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

The Twins won the majority of their games from losing teams...I guess they need more confidence. They have all the hitting talent in the world. Put a shrink on staff! Deer in headlights series.

#3 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,752 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

In game 3 there were multiple times they had runners in scoring position and the ball was tattooed only to be an out because of a really good defensive play by the yankees. I did not see a give up after the 2nd inning but that comeback mentality. Unfortunately, we have not had a 9th inning rally mentality all year. Only 3 walk offs or something like that? That clutch under pressure performer did not step up this season (well Max did a couple times) and the playoffs were a representation of that. I still hold out hope that Sano could be that guy (ie the grand slam)but maybe it will be a healthier Max Kepler in the future or a spark plug like Arraez. Only time will answer this question.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Vanimal46 like this

#4 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,493 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

I don't agree with everything in the original post (mostly, I think the Twins are still materially inferior in talent...that the talent gap between the Twins and the top 3-4 teams is still 'too' large to get through multiple playoff rounds with a realistic chance). But this is a great and super-relevant topic, IMO.

But, I totally agree with the premise that you need leaders and stars. And this type of star isn't defined (solely) by WAR. This star has that gene that can ignore the extreme small-sample pressure and other external swirl that defines the playoffs...that has the gene that truly to the core of their being embraces/enjoys it. The unnerving part of this is you don't know if you have those guys...until you have them. You're just kind of hoping you have them.

• Longdistancetwins likes this