Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Most crushing series of losses ever? How does it rank?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,422 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

For me personally in addition to the others mentioned I would throw 2002 in there.I think that was our first playoff appearance since the 1991 World Series win. We got past the first series with Oakland and had home field advantage against the Angels. My memories were of 1987 and 1991 when we won it all so I was expecting the same that year. Getting Rally-monkeyed was tough. 

This year was interesting - it was like it progressively got worse. At the start I didn't think we would win it all but I thought we would be competitive.First game we take a lead - then lose it - then tie it up - then collapse.2nd game is over by the 3rd inning - and last night was a little bit of a tease - we seem to either flail at the plate or when we hit shots it is right at a Yankee. The fact we have lost all these games to the Yankees in a row now is of mythic proportion.  

I was at that game in Anaheim. Still bitter.  

• USAFChief likes this

#22 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

They’re all heartbreaking. True heartbreak is true heartbreak.
  • twinsnorth49 and Sconnie like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#23 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

I was a kid watching the 65 Series with Sandy Koufax and Drysdale....They were unbelievable and respectable. The Twins were new. This loss in 2019 hurt because this team was a true Team. I think these guys get along, have lots of talent and have made this season the most exciting since the Puckett Hrbek days...I thought this team had more talent, but the pitching was hit hard by Pineda. That was the straw. Next year....

#24 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

This 2019 postseason was tough, because we spent a lot of time in anticipation.

Compared to 2006, when we were chasing Detroit down to the very end (albeit with the wild card as a fallback). Same with 2009.

But 2019, we had a big lead, and a little Cleveland scare but we mostly squashed that with two full weeks to go. And then it was a parade of articles and discussion here, about how all of our late emerging talents were "for real", and how the experience of veterans like Cruz, Marwin, and Romo was going to be valuable.

Then they laid this massive egg.

• Longdistancetwins likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

And of course, 2019 has the snowball effect of past postseasons. There wasn't really talk of a "Yankee curse" or even a playoff curse until 2009 or so.

I mean, the Twins didn't even need to win a series this year -- just one single win would have at least broken "the streak" and gotten a monkey off our back. And they didn't even come close to that, with some elementary mistakes. Very frustrating.

Although I guess one could also view that as lowered expectations too, so maybe it shouldn't hurt so much. :)

#26 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

Here's my list of heartbreak

1) 1998 Vikings (I was young, impressionable and naive)

2) 2006 Twins (Although it could be #1 if Liriano hadn't blown out his arm)

3) 2009 Vikings (Different verse, same as the first)

4) 2019 Twins (Good lineup, suspect pitching, neither synced up in the playoffs)

Honorable mention: 2002 Twins, 2010 Twins, 2009 Twins, 2008 Twins, 2015 Vikings, 2003 Twins, 2000 Vikings

1. 98 Vikings

2. 09 Vikings

3. 06 Twins-not so much losing to Oakland but from what could have been on 8/1 before Liriano and Radke's arms fell off

4.03 Gopher football Michigan game which cost them the Rose Bowl

5. 04 Twins

I would rank this year behind the 2009 Twins as well.

Edited by howeda7, 08 October 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,300 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

I dont think the Twins scored 7 or fewer runs in any three game series all year, until the ALDS.

The Twins were not swept in a 3 or 4 game series all year, until the ALDS.

Berrios did not have a single start that lasted only 4.0 IP all year, until the ALDS.

This was an epic collapse, and the worst of all time, IMO.
  • Longdistancetwins likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#28 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• 2,315 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:41 PM

In 2006 I was disappointed, but at the time I really thought they would build on that momentum in 2007.In some I felt the disappointment more in 2007 when it did not become 2006 part 2.

2009 -- was a disappointment - but the Yankees were pretty dominant that year, I might have felt game 163 more the previous year.

2010 -- I saw a regular season game the last week of the season and Thome and Mauer could barely hobble to first base and Justin was out - so while they had a pretty good season by that point they were pretty beat up and in retrospect signs of things to come in 2011.

2019 -I did not think they were as good as their record.A lot of it was padded by playing some really bad teams in April and September and they were pretty mediocre the middle of the season.I did not necessarily expect them to advance, but I did expect them to play better than they did and at least be competitive. I think this year the play-off losing streak weighed on me a bit more.

The '98 Vikings was probably my biggest disappointment.I was a little too young to be invested in the early super bowl losses, and if I remember correctly people were prepared for them to lose number 4. It is crazy to think they have not even made to the big game in over 40 years when they went 4 times in my first 8 years of life.The 98 game might have crushed something in my soul, because while I have been disappointed by other Viking losses (see, Favre, Brett), I am not sure I have ever felt quite as kicked in the gut since then.

My high school football team mid-80's --- so close to making it to State at a time where it was harder to even make it to the play-offs for high schoolfootball. I suppose the most crushing losses to me were high school related.  

#29 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

I suppose the most crushing losses to me were high school related.  

And the most crushing victory for you was the 2002 ALDS Game 5, specifically the celebration afterward crushing your hand. :)

• D. Hocking likes this

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,540 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:00 PM

Easily this season. Great job, Twins.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges