Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Most crushing series of losses ever? How does it rank?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 180 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

I’ve been a Twins fan for over 50 years, and I believe I have hit a new low.Given the postseason/Yankee futility and being so outclassed and embarrassed on a national stage, I’m not sure I’ve ever felt worse.

How does this rank with other humiliations in a series of games?Here’s a short list (I’m keeping this in a human perspective and not including devastating injuries and illnesses to players) of crushing team debacles on the field:

Losing the last two games of the season to the Red Sox in 1967 (mitigated somewhat by being part of the greatest pennant race in history and that Carl Yastrzemski was superhuman that year).

The late season collapse in 1984 (mitigated somewhat by our probably not belonging in the pennant race to begin with).

The entire 1982 season (mitigated somewhat by the novelty of the new stadium and the critics recognizing that we had a core of players with bright futures)

Losing six straight to the Orioles in the playoffs in 1969 and 1970 (mitigated by the fact that this is worse!)

Anything else on the list?How do they rank?

#2 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 437 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

Over the last 20 years, the two that rank the highest as most crushing/disappointing for me are 2006 and 2019.

#3 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

2006 is way more crushing than this. That team was really good. Ace pitcher(s), stud position players, great closer... The FO picked up Phil Nevin and traded Kyle Lohse for nothing at the deadline. Despite that ineptitude, twins went 71-33 after June 8th..... Only to get swept by the A's in the ALDS.
  • nicksaviking, twinsnorth49, sandbun and 2 others like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#4 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 437 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

2006 is way more crushing than this. That team was really good. Ace pitcher(s), stud position players, great closer... The FO picked up Phil Nevin and traded Kyle Lohse for nothing at the deadline. Despite that ineptitude, twins went 71-33 after June 8th..... Only to get swept by the A's in the ALDS.

That team had AN ace pitcher - if Liriano doesn't get hurt, then yes...they have multiple and it may change everything.

That lineup wasn't as good as 2019, bullpen was meh...probably never got as good as the 2019 one was at it's peak. But they were a terrific team, riding high going into the postseason, and it all flamed out...early and quickly.

But your point remains - the front office/leadership at the top sat on their hands, didn't do anything to improve their current team (because they didn't want to mortgage the future!!!) and it bit them right in the ass.

#5 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• 1,091 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

For me personally in addition to the others mentioned I would throw 2002 in there.I think that was our first playoff appearance since the 1991 World Series win. We got past the first series with Oakland and had home field advantage against the Angels. My memories were of 1987 and 1991 when we won it all so I was expecting the same that year. Getting Rally-monkeyed was tough. 

This year was interesting - it was like it progressively got worse. At the start I didn't think we would win it all but I thought we would be competitive.First game we take a lead - then lose it - then tie it up - then collapse.2nd game is over by the 3rd inning - and last night was a little bit of a tease - we seem to either flail at the plate or when we hit shots it is right at a Yankee. The fact we have lost all these games to the Yankees in a row now is of mythic proportion.  

• glunn and twinsnorth49 like this

#6 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,943 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

I’ve been a Twins fan for over 50 years, and I believe I have hit a new low.Given the postseason/Yankee futility and being so outclassed and embarrassed on a national stage, I’m not sure I’ve ever felt worse.

How does this rank with other humiliations in a series of games?Here’s a short list (I’m keeping this in a human perspective and not including devastating injuries and illnesses to players) of crushing team debacles on the field:

Losing the last two games of the season to the Red Sox in 1967 (mitigated somewhat by being part of the greatest pennant race in history and that Carl Yastrzemski was superhuman that year).

The late season collapse in 1984 (mitigated somewhat by our probably not belonging in the pennant race to begin with).

The entire 1982 season (mitigated somewhat by the novelty of the new stadium and the critics recognizing that we had a core of players with bright futures)

Losing six straight to the Orioles in the playoffs in 1969 and 1970 (mitigated by the fact that this is worse!)

Anything else on the list?How do they rank?

I think there's a difference between being humiliated i.e.the last 4 playoff series against the Yankees and A's, and experiencing huge disappointment i.e. 1967, 1969, 1970, 2002.1982 was an odd year in that the young core got crushed the first 2-1/2 months of the season (16-54 at one point) but basically played .500 ball the rest of the year.

That being said, this one ranks up there as about the worst there's ever been.

Edited by VATwinsFan, 08 October 2019 - 11:47 AM.

#7 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Elizabethton Twins

• 47 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

No one mentions 2010, but the Twins had home-field advantage in the first round against New York. It was the first year of Target Field, and Thome was a huge spark for the chemistry of the team. It kind of felt like a season of destiny. 

I don't know if it's the "worst," but it was a heartbreaker. 

• wavedog, twinsnorth49 and Longdistancetwins like this

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#8 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 180 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

For me personally in addition to the others mentioned I would throw 2002 in there.I think that was our first playoff appearance since the 1991 World Series win. We got past the first series with Oakland and had home field advantage against the Angels. My memories were of 1987 and 1991 when we won it all so I was expecting the same that year. Getting Rally-monkeyed was tough. 

I get that, but I soon reconciled to it as just being the Angels year.The Oakland series was fun, and is forever enshrined in the last scenes of the movie, "Moneyball."

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,695 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

That team had AN ace pitcher - if Liriano doesn't get hurt, then yes...they have multiple and it may change everything.
That lineup wasn't as good as 2019, bullpen was meh...probably never got as good as the 2019 one was at it's peak. But they were a terrific team, riding high going into the postseason, and it all flamed out...early and quickly.

But your point remains - the front office/leadership at the top sat on their hands, didn't do anything to improve their current team (because they didn't want to mortgage the future!!!) and it bit them right in the ass.

Liriano pitched through pain and hurt himself worse. Rest and rehab might have helped in his case. Even without Liriano at full strength, I pick that team over 2019 8/10 times. Santana would get 20 K's against the 2019 Twins.
  • jkcarew likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,754 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

'02 '06 and 2010 were worse for me. I expected more from those teams and believed they could go deeper. As much fun as I had watching this team and am encouraged for the future, I never really believed that would outplay their pitching in the long run. I will be more crushed next year if they address that and still fall flat on their faces. 

Haing said that, any loss to the Yankees, especially a sweep,is soul crushing. 

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking, wavedog and 1 other like this

#11 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,379 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:02 PM

my heart was broken in elementary school when koufax won game 7. but i've also been to six world series games in my life -- and the twins won them all. so i'll be ok.

i do worry about the newer twins fans who know nothing but total postseason failure. i fear they'll turn their backs on the twins forever. my mid-20s nephew is a huge sports fan who lives in minnesota. i asked him back in august if he was enjoying the surprising twins season so far. he said he doesn't follow baseball anymore -- that he's given up on the twins until they beat the yankees. and that was before this latest sweep!

• ewen21 and jkcarew like this

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,888 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

This team wasn't expected to do what they did this year, the playoff loss stunk but it didn't come close to crushing me. 2006 was really painful because they were supposed to win that year. Winning Game 1 of the ALCS in 2002 was also a pretty hard tease as then Rick Reed proceeded to get trounced in Game 2, then they lost Game 3 when Romero blew the one run lead in the bottom of the 8th and then nobody showed up for games 4 or 5.

Had I been alive for the 1965 WS, surely that would have been the worst though.

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

This one is the most crushing because it lacks the benefit of time to heal the wounds. 

• Puckett34, twinsnorth49 and Longdistancetwins like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#14 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 397 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

Definitely '06....but '08 hit me hard too with the 163rd game in Chicago.

#15 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:13 PM

Here's my list of heartbreak

1) 1998 Vikings (I was young, impressionable and naive)

2) 2006 Twins (Although it could be #1 if Liriano hadn't blown out his arm)

3) 2009 Vikings (Different verse, same as the first)

4) 2019 Twins (Good lineup, suspect pitching, neither synced up in the playoffs)

Honorable mention: 2002 Twins, 2010 Twins, 2009 Twins, 2008 Twins, 2015 Vikings, 2003 Twins, 2000 Vikings

Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#16 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:14 PM

Definitely '06....but '08 hit me hard too with the 163rd game in Chicago.

'08 is underrated in my opinion. Probably because '09 happened

Edited by Puckett34, 08 October 2019 - 01:15 PM.

Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#17 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 180 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

Had I been alive for the 1965 WS, surely that would have been the worst though.

Crushing, but we didn't embarrass ourselves in '65, as far as I've heard. I mean Koufax and Drysdale, what are you going to do?Hat's off to Kitty, Mudcat, and Camilo for keeping us in it. 

#18 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,493 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

It's really easy to argue that the 2006 team was better all-around team than this year's team. The 2006 team was top-5 offensively in the AL, and the pitching was top 1 (or 2, if ERA is your thing). Goes without saying the defense played a more positive factor that it did for the 2019 club. 2006 club also won more than lost against other winning teams...a necessity that year, since the AL Central only had one club that lost more than 84 games that year. Also, pretty easy to argue that the 2019 Yankees are stronger than the 2006 A's. But yes, it's not like the stars were aligning for the Twins in 2006, either...given Liriano's situation and the fact that Radke's arm was in the process of basically falling off.

Edited by jkcarew, 08 October 2019 - 03:22 PM.

• sandbun likes this

#19 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,493 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

The 1969 club is the first that I can remember following...Carew batting title, Killebrew MVP, division championship in the first year of divisional play.

In retrospect, I'd say 1970 was the worse. We didn't know it at the time, but...Killebrew was just about done being Killebrew, and it was the same for other aging stars like Perry/Tovar, etc.; Oliva was about done being Oliva (the knee);...and Twins fans were about to find out that their owner had no interest whatsoever in competing in the transforming market. Soon Jim Kaat and Luis Tiant would be posting multiple 6-8 WAR seasons with other teams...Kaat having been waived in 1973 because he was having a bad year (and Griffith didn't want to pay him $45K), and Tiant simply released after the 1970 season because Griffith didn't want to pay him $50K while he worked on re-inventing his delivery. Meanwhile, the farm was about to embark on a about a 13-year stretch of producing absolutely nothing. The 1970 series against the Orioles was easily as noncompetitive as this 2019 series was, and the 1970 debacle ushered in an era that made the late 1990's or the 20-teens seem like a golden age.

Next worse, 2006. 2019 was bad...but recency makes it worse than it will be remember, I think. (I hope.)

#20 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,062 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

2019 wasn't the most crushing but it was probably the most disappointing just to realize how far behind the elite teams we are.

2004 was the most crushing for me because we were THIIIIIIIIIIIIS close to leading 2 games to none and then on top of that we took Johan out too early in Game 4 and saw Rincon blow it and ended up with Pat Borders not being able to catch a pitch.

2002 was similar as Adam Kennedy just ruined everything and the Angels boat raced us in the last four games.

• Badsmerf likes this