Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: So Now What? Here's Twins Daily's Offseason Primer

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 397 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

Rosario is a slightly below average corner outfielder with two years of control left. They also have two top 75 corner outfield prospects. Rosario is also more expensive than Buxton or Sano. That matters to a team with a budget.

I dont want to start an argument. i just want to remind everyone that Rosario is one of us now. Nobody was trying to trade him in September of 2017, or at all last year. He has shown he can become an elite player. Consistency will be the key. As it is with any 22-26 year old player.

#42 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,331 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

They also have two top 75 corner outfield prospects. 

Neither of whom is proven at the MLB level. Classic bird in hand is with two in the bush scenario.

• SwainZag likes this

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,542 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

Neither of whom is proven at the MLB level. Classic bird in hand is with two in the bush scenario.

I never said they were. I was replying to the thought that somehow a below average, expensive, corner OF was more valuable than Buxton or Sano....
  • beckmt likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#44 jrod23

jrod23

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 147 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:54 PM

My hatred for the Yankees right now is blinding my emotions.

• USNMCPO likes this

#45 labcrazy

labcrazy

Elizabethton Twins

• 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

So thinking to next year. Tell me where I am wrong with the Twins moves.

Pick up the option on Nelson (no brainer)
Decline options on Perez (7MM) and Dyson. Do not re-sign Schoop or Cron (Move Sano to 1st).Only re-sign Castro if price is right to be back-up catcher for 1 year. Otherwise find a decent left handed hitting backup catcher. Many of them around to be had. Bring back Romo for 1 year. He’s a great team guy and very experienced. His “spinners” work with our other power arms from right side.

Put the qualifying offer on Odorizzi. Pretty much confirms he would be back for at least 1 year when a draft pick gets hooked to him.

Do not bring back Pineda. Misses first 40 games of next year to suspension. That’s ¼ of a season. No thanks.

Consider trading Sano or Rosario along with a couple decent prospects for a good young front line starter. Not sure yet who that might be but must be one somewhere? (Maybe Thor?) I would prefer Sano be the one as he just doesn’t make enough contact for me and isn’t much for defense at 3rd. If you keep him he needs to play first and make a little better contact. He will always strike out a lot but 8 times in 12 at bats in playoffs is not acceptable. If Rosario would be traded find a decent outfielder to plug in. Pirates might want to move Starling Marte as he is due a larger salary than they like to carry. They would likely trade him quite willingly.

Since Sano has now moved to 1st and Arizona is rebuilding you check with them to see what it would cost to make a trade and bring Eduardo Escobar back to play 3rd. We could use a LH power bat and I love Eduardo!

Sign a very goodreliever to pair with Rogers. Not sure who yet but they will be available.

Would love to have Garret Cole. Not going to happen. Strasburg might be available. Not going to happen. That’s why we need to find really good young arm and probably over pay a bit. This person has to be someone we can keep for 2-3 years at a minimum.

Sign Zack Wheeler for the rotation. Good arm to add to rotation. Sign a lefty for rotation. Cole Hamels maybe??

Rotation would than be Berrios, Odo, Wheeler, Lefty starter (Hamels?) and Graterol.Have Smeltzer, Thorpe and Doubnek at AAA as needed to step into rotation in case of injuries.

Edited by labcrazy, 08 October 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#46 Chachi

Chachi

Elizabethton Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

The only way the Twins add a front line pitcher will be if they build yet another new bar at Target Field and name it "Front Line Pitcher"

• spycake and Taildragger8791 like this

#47 deebs1976

deebs1976

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Top tier FA SPs:

Cole, Strasburg

Second-tier FA SPs:

Bumgarner, Ryu, Wheeler

Third-tier FA SPs:

Odorizzi, Keuchel, Hamels, Pineda

Fourth-tier FA SPs: 

Bailey, Smyly, Wainwright, Miley, Roark, Vargas, Teheran, Wood, Chacin

Trade candidate SPs:

Syndegaard, Ray, Minor, Boyd, Urena, Samardzija, Scherzer (probably wishful thinking)

Get 1-2 guys from tiers 1-3. Trade a Rosario package for another SP. Sign 1-2 more SPs from the fourth tier or scrap heap to fill out the rotation. Give Smeltzer/Thorpe/Graterol a shot to win a rotation job. Be ready to trade for a rental SP at the deadline if things look shaky. Their failure to pick up a starter at the deadline this year was a huge part of their downfall.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#48 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,300 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

I dont want to start an argument. i just want to remind everyone that Rosario is one of us now. Nobody was trying to trade him in September of 2017, or at all last year. He has shown he can become an elite player. Consistency will be the key. As it is with any 22-26 year old player.

I don't want to start an argument either, but Rosario is 28.

• Puckett34, Danchat, toosweet64 and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#49 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,841 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

Top tier FA SPs:
Cole, Strasburg

Second-tier FA SPs:
Bumgarner, Ryu, Wheeler

Third-tier FA SPs:
Odorizzi, Keuchel, Hamels, Pineda

Fourth-tier FA SPs:
Bailey, Smyly, Wainwright, Miley, Roark, Vargas, Teheran, Wood, Chacin

Trade candidate SPs:
Syndegaard, Ray, Minor, Boyd, Urena, Samardzija, Scherzer (probably wishful thinking)

Get 1-2 guys from tiers 1-3. Trade a Rosario package for another SP. Sign 1-2 more SPs from the fourth tier or scrap heap to fill out the rotation. Give Smeltzer/Thorpe/Graterol a shot to win a rotation job. Be ready to trade for a rental SP at the deadline if things look shaky. Their failure to pick up a starter at the deadline this year was a huge part of their downfall.

I like your tiers. I will argue Wheeler will be a top tier FA and get paid like one.

I get the feeling Odorizzi will be a target for the Astros... They love pitchers who live in the top of the zone and if he goes there, they'll find another level to unlock with him.

Rosario makes the most sense to trade but again, I don't think his trade value is very attractive. They would have to pony up a good value prospect along with him to get something decent in return.

Finally, I would prefer not having any internal option, no matter how many, fighting for the #5 spot in the rotation. Go out and fill all 5 spots with veterans they think will help win.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#50 mdawg888

mdawg888

• 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

Yeah. It's time to go grab an ace (if he's really serious) or shut up as the saying goes. Quite frankly and honestly (again playing capt. obvious) this was the year they should have done it at the trade deadline and they did NOTHING on the starting pitching front.

We will never see a regular season outburst like this again from this franchise in our lifetimes. Next year (if they stick to the status quo of what they've got for players) i expect them to regress in wins by about 10-15 games. No way will the team have 8 players hitting 20+ homeruns.

I feel compelled to get back to commenting here after that mess of a series, as I basically read this site every day.

1. Totally agree, would love to see an ace or somebody close to or above Berrios-level. Would love to see Cole, but am expecting somebody like Wheeler. 

2. The thing that worries me about 2020 already is how all these injuries will affect these guys going into the offseason, and thus, their ability to get ready for the start of the spring training and the season. In the first month of the season we have 7 games against the A's, 3 vs. Cleveland, 3 vs. Boston and 2 vs. the LAD. Not the easiest out of the gate if you're missing key parts. 

#51 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

I'd part with Rosario in a trade if they could replace him with a high-OBP guy that has some speed. They have all the power that they need, even if the baseball comes back to earth next year and homeruns are down. What they need is one more guy like Arraez getting on base regularly so that the solo homers become 2-run homers. And having a guy who is a threat to run forces mistakes from the pitcher and defense. With Buxton out we had exactly zero of those down the stretch.

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#52 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,888 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

True, but you can also pick up usable corner outfielders on the free agent market real cheap. If someone is willing to offer some pitching for one of ours, I'm more than fine picking up whomever next year's Avisail Garcia, Nick Markakis, Adam Jones, Cameron Maybin or Hunter Pence is and bide our time with them waiting to see if the prospects emerge.

#53 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 185 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

Until MLB puts a stop to the big market teams outspending and gobbling up all the top talent available nothing will change.

They need to acquire a true ACE pitcher and a true #2 pitcher either thru Free Agency or trade or both. Will they be able to compete for them due to what I just posted above? I doubt it. 

I'd like to see an ACE and a #2 starter plus Berrios, Odorizzi and Pineda in the rotation next year. If it is anything different than that it'll be another short playoff run in 2020.

#54 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,542 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

The only way the Twins add a front line pitcher will be if they build yet another new bar at Target Field and name it "Front Line Pitcher"

Thread!

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#55 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:06 PM

At least Eddie showed up last night with his bat.....I like Eddie and I think he will improve just like everyone should. Eddie needs to go back to left field, Bucky in Center and Kepler in Right. Hell maybe Eddie hates MN...I hope not. He is an exciting player and fans love him.

#56 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,491 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

This might not be a bad place to post links to things like our rule V eligibility and projected salaries as well. I know we dumped a couple guys we'd have likely lost (Diaz, Holmes), but I still think they're going to have a roster crunch on teh 40 man to deal with as well.

The question is whether or not a top self starter is available via trade or not. Cole/Strassburg are obvious targets and landing one of them would be huge (and also highly unlikely)... 

Here's their current payroll situation.

Here's the 40 man

#57 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

Now there's a dragon that Dave St. Peter can really slay!

• Mike Sixel likes this

#58 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,469 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

I love all the optimism, but the Twins will not be signing Cole, Strasburg, etc. It just won't happen. The Twins have never invested that type of money in a SP, and it won't start now.

There is always a first time

#59 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,469 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

So thinking to next year. Tell me where I am wrong with the Twins moves.

Pick up the option on Nelson (no brainer)
Decline options on Perez (7MM) and Dyson. Do not re-sign Schoop or Cron (Move Sano to 1st).Only re-sign Castro if price is right to be back-up catcher for 1 year. Otherwise find a decent left handed hitting backup catcher. Many of them around to be had. Bring back Romo for 1 year. He’s a great team guy and very experienced. His “spinners” work with our other power arms from right side.

Put the qualifying offer on Odorizzi. Pretty much confirms he would be back for at least 1 year when a draft pick gets hooked to him.

Do not bring back Pineda. Misses first 40 games of next year to suspension. That’s ¼ of a season. No thanks.

Consider trading Sano or Rosario along with a couple decent prospects for a good young front line starter. Not sure yet who that might be but must be one somewhere? (Maybe Thor?) I would prefer Sano be the one as he just doesn’t make enough contact for me and isn’t much for defense at 3rd. If you keep him he needs to play first and make a little better contact. He will always strike out a lot but 8 times in 12 at bats in playoffs is not acceptable. If Rosario would be traded find a decent outfielder to plug in. Pirates might want to move Starling Marte as he is due a larger salary than they like to carry. They would likely trade him quite willingly.

Since Sano has now moved to 1st and Arizona is rebuilding you check with them to see what it would cost to make a trade and bring Eduardo Escobar back to play 3rd. We could use a LH power bat and I love Eduardo!

Sign a very goodreliever to pair with Rogers. Not sure who yet but they will be available.

Would love to have Garret Cole. Not going to happen. Strasburg might be available. Not going to happen. That’s why we need to find really good young arm and probably over pay a bit. This person has to be someone we can keep for 2-3 years at a minimum.

Sign Zack Wheeler for the rotation. Good arm to add to rotation. Sign a lefty for rotation. Cole Hamels maybe??

Rotation would than be Berrios, Odo, Wheeler, Lefty starter (Hamels?) and Graterol.Have Smeltzer, Thorpe and Doubnek at AAA as needed to step into rotation in case of injuries.

The difference between Cole or Strasburg and Wheeler may be $10 million a year.The difference is results, priceless.

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,841 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:17 AM

“Sign or bail” with Twins FAs. What do you do?

Odorizzi-
Pineda-
Schoop-
Castro-
Romo-
Gibson-
Perez-
Cruz (rhetorical)