Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rocco: "I'm not frustrated at all"

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#81 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 October 2019 - 11:59 PM

Then why bother even having a press conference? Either tell me how you REALLY think behind the microphone or tell the press that you are not going to take any questions. Simple.

Nobody has told you what they think in a long long time using this format. Are you still watching or listening to them or reading the quotes in the paper. If you are... they will continue.

Actually, I take that back. Tommy Pham was honest. Said what was on his mind with no regrets. Got ran out of St. Louis as a result.

There have been moments of honesty. It is usually followed by public apology.
  • Platoon likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#82 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 287 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

What is frustrating if you are a Twins fan is that a team like Tampa, who was not expected to win even one game from the powerful Astros, fell behind 2 games to none and came back to win the next two. They never gave an inch and they played hard and smart. They may not win game 5 but at least they gave what few fans they have a little hope and post season excitement.

Twins didn't do any of that. Why? Is Rocco 'happy' with what he got? Are we? Could the Twins have done what the Rays have done against a superior team?

Or is it simply the Twins cannot beat the Yankees....no matter who wears either uniform?

#83 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,114 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:30 AM

Like everybody, I like managers who let it all hang out at pressers. And pregame interviews. Let's the fans and players know exactly where they stand. The White Sox had one a few years ago, he was really forthright. But I think he retired or something, haven't seen him in quite awhile?
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#84 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:37 AM

All that waiting and it was over in a blink of an eye with absolutely nothing to cheer about.One and done is just as bad as not making the playoffs at all. 

#85 spycake

spycake

• 16,780 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

As far as Baldelli being a rookie manager:

Cash, Shildt, and Martinez are all rookie *playoff* managers this year. And they seem to be doing all right. (Shildt was in his first full regular season too.)

Counsell and Snitker were rookie playoff managers last year. (I'll leave out the larger market first years too.) Counsell's team had a deep run, and Snitker's team at least managed a win versus the mighty Dodgers.

#86 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 180 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:41 AM

It's the trend now, but I'm still not a fan of skippers taking on an MLB team without managing experience.Managing in the minors is fine experience, as far as I'm concerned:that's the difference between Tom Kelly and some of these current rookie managers.Even going back, I wasn't a fan of Frank Quilici as a manager and felt relief when Gene Mauch took over.  

#87 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 180 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

Like everybody, I like managers who let it all hang out at pressers. And pregame interviews. Let's the fans and players know exactly where they stand. The White Sox had one a few years ago, he was really forthright. But I think he retired or something, haven't seen him in quite awhile?

You mean Ozzie Guillien .He was a trip,and I miss him, too.He may have even invented the term "piranhas" to describe the Twins teams of that era.He meant it as a compliment.For that reason, I could never hate the Mighty Whitey's as everyone else does (full disclosure:I have a good friend who is a White Sox fan).

#88 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

That's what impressed me about Bobby Knight. He thought it, he said it. It used to be called honesty. Now it's called bad public relations. 

Yeah, I was always impressed by how Knight so honestly and earnestly choked players and verbally abused those around him.

What a great guy!

https://www.chron.co...ght-1849372.php

• Hosken Bombo Disco and howieramone2 like this

#89 twinsguy45

twinsguy45

Elizabethton Twins

• 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

He should be happy about the future. But if you asked my how I felt about how my team played this series. I would have flat out said we sucked, I sucked and I apologize that you fans had to go through this again. We WILL be better, I WILL be better. And stick with us because this team is going to be hard to beat going forward.
Honesty is cool. Acting like it was ok and "just happy to be here" isn't the thing to say to a fanbase that has watched their team get smoked in the playoffs time and time again.

Couldn't have said it better so I won't try.

đź‘Ť

#90 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,493 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

"Psychotic angst"??

Are you kidding me?
For me personally its in perspective. It's just baseball and I separate it from everything else when I'm in it. To be frustrated and ticked off about these weak chicken-hearted efforts is "psychotic angst" to you? A good rant is "psychotic angst"? Heck, I like reading a good rant--what's wrong with that?

I take wha you said as a broad accusation directed at a number of people here. And it completely mischaracterizes probably most all of those you just labeled. Not cool.

You seem like a reasonable dude. I enjoy reading your stuff by this kind of thing irritates me. You're a fan yourself. That's disrespectful to anyone who justly criticizes this team's absolutely atrocious efforts in the playoffs. And if someone goes off and tries for style points? Whatever.
If it's over the top it gets deleted anyway. Are you talking about what's left up on the board?

It's not "psychotic" it's just not your cup of tea

If you really believe effort/urgency/caring were the fundamental issue in this year's post-season (your post includes strong language to that effect), then we've discovered a reason your 'frustration' (and that of those that share that view) would be 'different' than mine. I think it's much more likely that several players and the manager were trying way TOO hard, made a ton of mistakes in the process, and were quickly overwhelmed by a team that was a little bit better and a little bit more experienced. 

Look, I've acknowledged the "I'm not frustrated at all" comment was a poor choice.

But, IMO, a lot of the sentiment in this thread (broader thread) goes beyond the perspective of what should/shouldn't have been said in a 2019 post-game presser...and just feels more like people being so mad at the outcomes...including irrelevant past failures...that they're looking for almost anything that helps them express their outrage. I 'get it' as a fan. But I'm not agreeing with it. It was a post-game presser, not a press conference to summarize the season...and it was pretty much identical to every post-game presser he's ever done...huge win or horrible loss.

• Riverbrian and ewen21 like this

#91 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:18 PM

Yep Ozzie was run out of South Florida for letting all hang out.

I agree with you. I wish they could speak their mind but they can’t and this discussion is a living breathing undeniable example of why they can’t and won’t.

We really don’t know what we do when we do this. But we do it.

And we must all lie in the bad we made.

Founded 4-23-16 

#92 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,302 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

Yep Ozzie was run out of South Florida for letting all hang out.

I agree with you. I wish they could speak their mind but they can’t and this discussion is a living breathing undeniable example of why they can’t and won’t.

We really don’t know what we do when we do this. But we do it.

And we must all lie in the bad we made.

Ozzie managed over 1400 big league games. Took a while for him to get run out of anywhere.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#93 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,773 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:27 PM

If you really believe effort/urgency/caring were the fundamental issue in this year's post-season (your post includes strong language to that effect), then we've discovered a reason your 'frustration' (and that of those that share that view) would be 'different' than mine. I think it's much more likely that several players and the manager were trying way TOO hard, made a ton of mistakes in the process, and were quickly overwhelmed by a team that was a little bit better and a little bit more experienced. 

Look, I've acknowledged the "I'm not frustrated at all" comment was a poor choice.

But, IMO, a lot of the sentiment in this thread (broader thread) goes beyond the perspective of what should/shouldn't have been said in a 2019 post-game presser...and just feels more like people being so mad at the outcomes...including irrelevant past failures...that they're looking for almost anything that helps them express their outrage. I 'get it' as a fan. But I'm not agreeing with it. It was a post-game presser, not a press conference to summarize the season...and it was pretty much identical to every post-game presser he's ever done...huge win or horrible loss.

Thanks for your response.I am particularly turned off by the "i'm not frustrated at all" comment and I actually LIKE Rocco.I even defended him during the series when people cited his decision making as being one of the keys to the loss in game one.Truth be told, I did not watch any of the pressers after any of the games and I really could care less unless something caught my attention.This did.

As far as the urgency/effort/caring angle which you inferred as the thrust of my "angst" you are completely off on that one.I don't doubt they felt it was important to win, tried (as best as they could) and cared.That is all out the window when you come into the thing scared and this team had a lot of players who sure looked like they were to me.If you come in intimidated all the caring, effort and urgency amounts to very little.I saw players who were not comfortable and it showed.I did not see calm, focused, professional at bats and this is something that has gone on and on for years with this ballclub when playing the Yankees.

Rocco should know his audience better than to say that.So he isn't frustrated.That's wonderful.I still thing it was an ignorant thing to say.As far as "psychotic angst" goes I am still not sure what you are alluding to.I was over this season as soon as we made the last out in the 7th Monday night.At no point did I scream at the TV or lose sleep over what happened.I went to be that night and slept like a champ.What amazes me now is the lengths people want to go to distance themselves from feeling any frustration over this.What is the point in that?I love this team and watch and follow it religiously year round. 

The underlined parts above.Why are you telling me this if you aren't talking about me?Or are you?I can tell you if "psychotic angst" and the underlined above is being use to characterize me you are really missing the mark.By a lot.I can take criticism, but get it right

Edited by ewen21, 09 October 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#94 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 374 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

Speaking of Tampa (someone did) the Twins had the same formula if they were to prevail. Win 2 at home and somehow scratch one out in the Bronx and more than likely it would be game 5. Fact is game 3 at Target was there for the taking until the Yankees tacked on the 2 extra runs against the big pen acquisition. All it would have taken was to just draw some blood and the Twins just couldn't do it. I am afraid that whatever the reason was will carry over to 2020.

#95 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

Ozzie managed over 1400 big league games. Took a while for him to get run out of anywhere.

I never walked through a minefield but I imagine someone could get lucky for awhile or it could happen right away.

In either case... you are probably better off with a map so you avoid them altogether.

Regardless... The overwhelming majority haven’t been speaking their minds for quite some time. You know that... I know that.

Founded 4-23-16 

#96 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,466 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

Speaking of Tampa (someone did) the Twins had the same formula if they were to prevail. Win 2 at home and somehow scratch one out in the Bronx and more than likely it would be game 5. Fact is game 3 at Target was there for the taking until the Yankees tacked on the 2 extra runs against the big pen acquisition. All it would have taken was to just draw some blood and the Twins just couldn't do it. I am afraid that whatever the reason was will carry over to 2020.

The difference is the Rays put up some runs.The lit up sought after ace Grienke for 6 ER in less than 4 innings.The Twins routinely put their-selves in position to score runs, especially in Game 3 and couldn't find the hits...and they have a much better lineup than Tampa.1/12 with runners in RISP in Game 3 and 3/27 for the series.  

Blame Rocco for pitching decisions.Blame Kepler, Garver, Arraez for not being 100%.....either way, you aren't going to beat the Yankees scoring 7 runs in 3 games, period.  

• howieramone2 and ewen21 like this

#97 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 180 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

I was over this season as soon as we made the last out in the 7th Monday night.At no point did I scream at the TV or lose sleep over what happened.I went to be that night and slept like a champ.  

I only listened on the radio in my apartment and was actually getting a few cleaning things done.But I admit to throwing a slipper at some point late in the game.

But I slept well enough, late as it was on the East Coast.

#98 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,773 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:34 PM

I only listened on the radio in my apartment and was actually getting a few cleaning things done.But I admit to throwing a slipper at some point late in the game.

But I slept well enough, late as it was on the East Coast.

Hey, I live in Dutchess County (near Poughkeepsie)

• Longdistancetwins likes this

#99 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 959 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

Rocco is a cool cat and cerebral.

Question is:Does that work with players in terms of their desire or level of intensity?

Look at Aaron Boone, smoldering anger in the dugout, eyes quick to jump at the next thing, ready to fly into action.

Rocco is cool and distant.

Cerebral can work, look at .... um, searching right now for a cerebral and distant manager..... Gene Mauch?

Managing is about relationships. We don't know much about that with Rocco at this point. How direct is he with players? How does he cajole, convince or collaborate to get what he wants on the field.

Twins had a great season by any measure, and for any number of reasons, and Rocco was at the helm.

That's about what we know.

#100 spycake

spycake

• 16,780 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 07:55 AM

But I admit to throwing a slipper at some point late in the game.

That's the kind on intensity I'd like to see from Baldelli! He should be throwing sneakers in the dugout, and throwing loafers at the press conference...

• Longdistancetwins likes this