Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rocco: "I'm not frustrated at all"

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 16,780 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Baldelli: “I do not sit here frustrated at all.”

Or maybe he was actually standing?

• Riverbrian likes this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Same game. Different mentality. Still 3 outs, 4 balls, 3 strikes, and 9 innings. Amd good pitching generally trumps good hitting. Same game.

Not even close to the same game.

Were half the pitchers throwing 98mph in 1991? Pretty sure that’s a hard no.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#23 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,231 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:56 AM

I agree with Rocco when he says that losses like these last 3 happen from time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time to time.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, Huskertwin and rkevin like this

#24 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 437 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

4th best record in all of baseball and getting dominated 3 straight games to be eliminated, isn’t frustrating?

There’s stoic and then there’s just stupid.

First 100+ win team to get swept in the postseason.

History!

• LaBombo, Hosken Bombo Disco, MMMordabito and 1 other like this

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

I'm ok in general with these comments. He didn't have a good series as a manager but he's a rookie and I think he'll get better. He certainly had some good points this season and the players obviously had a much better atmosphere than they had under Molly. I think Rocco deserves most of that credit. 

He got out-managed (and Aaron Boone ain't exactly Tony La Russa) but I'm not sure that made that much difference. Maybe not starting Dobnak in game 2 would've helped but we just were outplayed - again. 

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, brvama and 2 others like this

#26 cardsfan

cardsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 186 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:25 AM

4th best record in all of baseball and getting dominated 3 straight games to be eliminated, isn’t frustrating?

There’s stoic and then there’s just stupid.

47-16 against 4 teams. Maybe 101 wins wouldn't have happened or the HR record if the Twins played less games against Royals, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles.
  • birdwatcher, Platoon and Huskertwin like this

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

I shouldn't be surprised but still find myself surprised that we have people here who don't recognize PR. 

Public Relations is a pretty big field these days. They offer degrees in Public Relations at Universities and Colleges around the country. 

The reason you need public relations is because over time it has become clear that every time you walk up to a public microphone, the public will inflate the words you use to problematic levels. 

He is not going to stand in front of the public and point out mistakes made by the front office, the players or himself. Because if he does... the public will make him eat those words and they will be spoon fed back to him as long as he remains in a public position.

If you don't believe that will happen... you simply don't recognize this behavior in yourself. Universities and Colleges around the country would have no reason to offer degrees in this field. 

How anyone is shocked by positive comments, cliches, measured statements out of the PR playbook in this day and age is what is truly shocking.

Be honest with yourself, what you want is for him to express himself honestly. Then after he does, you want to take those honest words and bang him over the head with them again and again.  

The real conversations happen inside the offices of 1 Twins Way and that's where the real conversation should happen because we have proven time and time again that we can't handle the truth.  

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, luckylager and 16 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:56 AM

I shouldn't be surprised but still find myself surprised that we have people here who don't recognize PR. 

Public Relations is a pretty big field these days. They offer degrees in Public Relations at Universities and Colleges around the country. 

The reason you need public relations is because over time it has become clear that every time you walk up to a public microphone, the public will inflate the words you use to problematic levels. 

He is not going to stand in front of the public and point out mistakes made by the front office, the players or himself. Because if he does... the public will make him eat those words and they will be spoon fed back to him as long as he remains in a public position.

If you don't believe that will happen... you simply don't recognize this behavior in yourself. Universities and Colleges around the country would have no reason to offer degrees in this field. 

How anyone is shocked by positive comments, cliches, measured statements out of the PR playbook in this day and age is what is truly shocking.

Be honest with yourself, what you want is for him to do is express himself honestly. Then after he does, you want to take those honest words and bang him over the head with them again and again.  

The real conversations happen inside the offices of 1 Twins Way and that's where the real conversation should happen because we have proven time and time again that we can't handle the truth.  

Exactly, I really don't care what he says in press conferences because I doubt he actually believes most of it. 

I had much more of a problem with his management than his press conference. I generally like Rocco and I'm glad we have him but he was brutal in this series. 

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian, Huskertwin and 1 other like this

#29 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,676 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

Be honest with yourself, what you want is for him to do is express himself honestly. Then after he does, you want to take those honest words and bang him over the head with them again and again.  

You are wise beyond your years. Heck, even beyond mine. :)

• Sconnie likes this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#30 spycake

spycake

• 16,780 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

But in pro sports, the product is emotional. There's also an element of PR to show empathy to obviously frustrated fans. This isn't just General Mills responding to a product recall or something, where you want to take emotion out of it. It doesn't have to involve specific blame or anything, but a little more empathy might be warranted. "Not frustrated at all"?

• notoriousgod71, Hosken Bombo Disco and Rigby like this

#31 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

There is no crying in baseball!

• SQUIRREL, BD57, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#32 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,302 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Your theory is the Twins PR department had a meeting with Rocco prior to the post series presser and told him what to say? That none of this matters?

You believe that was effective PR?

That was so tone deaf it's beyond comprehension. 

• notoriousgod71 likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#33 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

I don’t expect Baldelli to say an ill word about his players or the front office.

But there comes a time when a good manager falls on his own sword after a colossal failure. That’s part of the job. Someone has to take a beating for this performance and Baldelli is that guy, particularly given how badly he managed the first two games of the series.

When everyone from top to bottom fails in a situation, someone has to take a punch to the face. Baldelli is the public leader of this team, therefore he’s the one who takes the punch.
  • SQUIRREL, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 6 others like this

#34 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,302 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:19 AM

I don’t expect Baldelli to say an ill word about his players or the front office.

But there comes a time when a good manager falls on his own sword after a colossal failure. That’s part of the job. Someone has to take a beating for this performance and Baldelli is that guy, particularly given how badly he managed the first two games of the series.

And I don't for one second think he's not frustrated. At least I hope not. 

Might as well just tell fans they're wasting their money, it doesn't matter anyway. 

• Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher and Bandit34 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#35 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:21 AM

47-16 against 4 teams. Maybe 101 wins wouldn't have happened or the HR record if the Twins played less games against Royals, White Sox, Tigers and Orioles.

Meh, most good teams dominate bad teams. Your Cards had a similar 30-11 record against four teams. Good teams dominate bad teams.

Twins had a .518 winning percentage against the A's, Rays, Astros and Yankees combined. They should have been more competitive in this series but they weren't. Again.

• Twins33, brvama and Huskertwin like this

#36 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:23 AM

But in pro sports, the product is emotional. There's also an element of PR to show empathy to obviously frustrated fans. This isn't just General Mills responding to a product recall or something, where you want to take emotion out of it. It doesn't have to involve specific blame or anything, but a little more empathy might be warranted. "Not frustrated at all"?

Yes Pro Sports is emotional... Which of course, doubles perhaps triples the PR necessary to negotiate the public emotional landmines. 

It isn't General Mills... it's more acute because of the emotional investment.  

"not frustrated at all"

You are hanging him for those words and by doing so, all you are doing is proving my point. He has to be very careful with what he says because if he doesn't express himself perfectly, we kill him for it.

Which you are doing. You are fixating on a sentence, inflating it's value and meaning in a sound bite world and throwing it back at him.  

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, diehardtwinsfan and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#37 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,189 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:28 AM

Howeda nailed it, as far as I'm concerned...couldn't be more tone deaf.

And for the record, he couldn't have managed worse in this post season. He had as bad a series as his team.

While I'll give them a Mulligan myself, I thought Wes Johnson, Jeremy Hefner, and Rocco Baldelli all performed terribly in this series, as did so many of the players for whatever reasons: stage fright, nagging injuries, inherent ineptitude...

If I'm the GM, I'm sending Baldelli off to get some PR and speech coaching. Tone deaf is the perfect description. He needs to tone down the hipster stuff if for no other reason than to change his innocuous and grating post game nothingness.

That said, on balance I approve of him as a manager.

Edited by birdwatcher, 08 October 2019 - 09:30 AM.

• USAFChief, brvama, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#38 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,229 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

Or maybe we would have hit 400 HRs if we played half of our games in Yankee Stadium.

#39 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,114 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:37 AM

Not even close to the same game.
Were half the pitchers throwing 98mph in 1991? Pretty sure that’s a hard no.

Same game. And all the hitters using whippier, harder maple bat bats. All the hitters being superior athletically and better trained. All the hitters catch up to 98. Hitters built like NFL linebackers. Different approach? 3 true outcomes. No hitting for contact with the bases loaded, no outs. No moving a runner. No pitching inside. Pitchers have improved. Hitters have improved. Same game! Lastly, in 1991 good pitching beat good hitting! In 2019, same game!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#40 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 25 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

I think we're lucky to have Baldelli, and I liked his comments. It was obvious to anyone watching that the Yankees were more patient at the plate and had better pitching. They looked like they had been here before, we did not. With this playoff experience and a good offseason from Falvey, that could change next year. 

• brvama, Ben Noble and kenbuddha like this