Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rocco: "I'm not frustrated at all"

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 JeffReboulet

JeffReboulet

• 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:58 PM

Um, yeah. I get it, incredible 100 win season, but the team was just totally outclassed and outplayed over 3 games. It would have been nice if he could have at least acknowledged the fanbase's justified frustration.

Of course he should be proud of the regular season, but this is the immediate reaction after a very lopsided series loss? 

Between the piss poor bullpen management, a playoff series in which we weren't competitive, and this chill interview, I'm over Rocco.

I apologize in advance for an overdramatic hot take post, but this interview kinda pissed me off. Come on!

• Captain Kirkus, LaBombo, twinssporto and 7 others like this

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:08 AM

Um, yeah. I get it, incredible 100 win season, but the team was just totally outclassed and outplayed over 3 games. It would have been nice if he could have at least acknowledged the fanbase's justified frustration.

Of course he should be proud of the regular season, but this is the immediate reaction after a very lopsided series loss? 

Between the piss poor bullpen management, a playoff series in which we weren't competitive, and this chill interview, I'm over Rocco.

I apologize in advance for an overdramatic hot take post, but this interview kinda pissed me off. Come on!

That's exactly how a manager should deal with this situation, though I would have awarded bonus points for Rocco saying "Whoa, I kinda ****ed up there but that's not on the players".

As a manager of any profession, take personal responsibility but never place blame on those below you, even if they make more money than you.

Edit: He actually alluded to this a bit by saying he hadn't been here before and learned in the process. That's not exactly what I want to hear but it's not awful, either.

• SQUIRREL, glunn, Blake and 8 others like this

#3 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:24 AM

Rostering players that weren't 100%.

Attack the strike zone. Waaaaaay too many base-on-balls for a team that didn't do walks this season. What happened?

Is there a reason NOT to bat Luiz Arraez at the top of the order. Seriously?

You win game one, then worry about game two. Then game three. Especially in a short series.

Bases loaded. No outs. Even a routine grounder would bring home a run. But, 15% of the time you don't score.

The fans were there! So were the Yankee announcers.

Next Year! Nearly 30 years of Next Year!

• glunn, labcrazy, Dome Dogg and 1 other like this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,422 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:27 AM

I wish that there had been a questions asked about whether Kepler and Garver were suffering from injuries or rustiness, and why Castro did not play.

• LaBombo likes this

#5 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:59 AM

Yeah Rocco wasn't frustrated but every fan in this State and the ones who paid to see that in person are.....
  • LaBombo, jud6312, mrtwinsfan and 2 others like this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:12 AM

Yeah Rocco wasn't frustrated but every fan in this State and the ones who paid to see that in person are.....

Yep, he seems rather oblivious to the fanbase in general.

Which I'd actually be somewhat okay with if he managed like an analytical general. Instead, he talks like Epstein and manages like Gardenhire.

• glunn, 3balls2strikes, MMMordabito and 4 others like this

#7 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:36 AM

Wonder in another world if Rocco was manager of the 91 Twins?? omg, he would have taken Jack Morris out in the 5th inning!
  • gunnarthor and 3balls2strikes like this

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:37 AM

Wonder in another world if Rocco was manager of the 91 Twins?? omg, he would have taken Jack Morris out in the 5th inning!

Yawn. Different game, different time.

• Blake, adjacent, snepp and 3 others like this

#9 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• 413 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:42 AM

He made some rookie mistakes managing and if he can tighten them up I would be happy if the Twins have him manage for a long time.

Ine thing I believe should be done is to switch the 3rd base coach. I dont remember how many times I wonder wth was he thinking.

#10 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,114 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:05 AM

Yawn. Different game, different time.

Same game. Different mentality. Still 3 outs, 4 balls, 3 strikes, and 9 innings. Amd good pitching generally trumps good hitting. Same game.
  • notoriousgod71, KGB, jud6312 and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#11 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:11 AM

Edit: He actually alluded to this a bit by saying he hadn't been here before and learned in the process. That's not exactly what I want to hear but it's not awful, either.

Agreed, I don't really want to hear it but we all know that it's the reality with a rookie manager. Or rookie anything for that matter. There's learning to be done and mistakes will be made. It's just a part of the process. Everyone was there at one point or another.
  • glunn likes this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#12 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:22 AM

I have no problem with what he said, mainly because he's staying on message.

Rocco's done this all year. He's been quiet, full of praise, and has never criticized the efforts of his players in front of the media. For him to do an about-face on that after this series would have been shocking. He's developing a reputation as a players' manager, which I think is a good thing.

After such a sickening series, I don't know if there's anything that Rocco could have said that would have made fans happy, frankly.

• SQUIRREL, glunn, Blake and 8 others like this

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,302 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:29 AM

Howeda nailed it, as far as I'm concerned...couldn't be more tone deaf.

And for the record, he couldn't have managed worse in this post season. He had as bad a series as his team.
  • birdwatcher, howeda7, notoriousgod71 and 8 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#14 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 287 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:47 AM

There were about 100 different ways he could have handled that interview. To say he wasn't frustrated was like saying he didn't care. No fire. No compete. The only team to get swept...again,,and he's not frustrated. Gee whiz...at least acknowlege that it was not a good series. I hate iinterviews like that. As for being a 'players manager', I have never felt that is a good thing either. As a result, this is what you get.

There is a nice balance of distance you must keep.

The fans just witnessed 3 of the worst played games of 2019, at the worst possible time. I think its fair to show frustration. He didn't manage well..and his players definitely didn't respond at all.His bullpen failed. His starters failed...except for Jake. His hitters were a big disaster...3 of them who pretty much helped carry the offense during the year...Sano, Garver, Kepler were totally inept...totally. And their 'd' was nothing to write home about either.

Situational hitting was non existent. The game was over when Sano, Gonzo and Cave failed in the 2nd inning. They all forgot that you can score runs without HR's. They said they weren't concerned about 'history'..but they neglected to factor in 2019 history....and how the Yanks beat them 4 of 6 including that miserable 14-12 game. Yankees are the better team, but may not be once they hit Houston. They own us completely.

What I saw was a Twins team with little fire, little commitment and that starts at the top. Being too laid back when you are struggling is not good. Gone was all the dugout excitement. Maybe they missed the Turtle? Even Cruz had a lousy series. Standing there watching strike 3 to end it all...said it all.

It was a great regular season. It was a tremendous flop in the playoffs. We all get to choose how we feel about that.

• LaBombo, notoriousgod71, jud6312 and 3 others like this

#15 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,754 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:57 AM

4th best record in all of baseball and getting dominated 3 straight games to be eliminated, isn’t frustrating?

There’s stoic and then there’s just stupid.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, notoriousgod71 and 10 others like this

#16 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:07 AM

Recent rookie managers who made the postseason -- only 2 out of 14 failed to win a game:

Rocco Baldelli, 2019 - swept in DS

Alex Cora, 2018 - won DS, won CS, won WS

Aaron Boone, 2018 - won 2 games in DS

Torey Lovullo, 2017 - won 1 game in DS

Jeff Banister, 2015 - won 2 games in DS

Dave Roberts, 2016 - won DS, won 2 games in CS

Brad Ausmus, 2014 - swept in DS

Matt Williams, 2014 - won 1 game in DS

Mike Matheny, 2012 - won WC game, won DS, won 3 games in CS

Ron Roenicke, 2011 - won DS, won 2 games in CS

Kirk Gibson, 2011 (first full year) - won 2 games in DS

Ken Macha, 2003 -won 2 games in DS

Ron Gardenhire, 2002 - won DS, won 1 game in CS

Bob Brenly, 2001 - won DS, won CS, won WS

• bighat likes this

#17 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 382 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:36 AM

101 wins in what was supposed to be a "figure out what we have" year. He should be extremely happy with the season and the future of the franchise.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, adjacent and 3 others like this

#18 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 516 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:44 AM

They did way more than anyone thought they would this year, so that’s good.

But would it have killed Rocco to say he wanted to win it all?
  • Danchat and kenbuddha like this

#19 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 374 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:48 AM

insagt posted

"What I saw was a Twins team with little fire, little commitment and that starts at the top. Being too laid back when you are struggling is not good. Gone was all the dugout excitement. Maybe they missed the Turtle? Even Cruz had a lousy series. Standing there watching strike 3 to end it all...said it all...."

Couldn't agree more. I watched very little of the whole debacle mainly because of exactly that. The Twins had the demeanor of a bunch who wished they were some place else as if "Why are we still playing? Isn't 101 wins good enough?" Losing the ALDS is one thing; Not even showing up is entirely different

Of course Rocco is happy after a Central title and 101 wins his first year. What does he care about recent Twins playoff history, esp against the Yankees? Has to have room for improvement next year.

Problem is, good luck with that.

#20 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:53 AM

Baldelli: “I do not sit here frustrated at all.”

594607.jpg

• Twins33, twinsnorth49 and Danchat like this