Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Front Page: Twins at Risk of Sinking to New Low with October Woes

rocco baldelli tyler duffey
  • Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,815 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:42 PM

Win one, come back and win the next one, and go back to New York.

It's possible.

If it wasn't possible we wouldn't be tuning in.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 06 October 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• pbrezeasap and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#22 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:45 PM

Well, you could argue that our ace is out due to an untimely urine sample.That pretty much sealed our fate.MLB wants the Yankees in the playoffs...it's about money.I doubt they will get that untimely urine sample that takes their ace out of the playoffs.

• DannySD likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#23 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

We have pitched scared...trying to make the perfect pitch.That plays into their strength which is a patient approach at the plate.Meanwhile, they have taken away our strength of hitting fastballs in fastball counts over the fence by throwing off speed pitches to get ahead, a fastball or two out of the strike zone to set up another off speed pitch to finish us off.If we don't adapt, we are done.

• scottz, cjj td, David HK and 1 other like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#24 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• 674 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:57 PM

The Twins can pull this off but it will require something like we saw last time NY was in town, so I am guessing we will see a 8-7, 10-8 or maybe even a 12-11 game.

Yeah I don't see us beating the Yankees 2-1 or 3-2.  

I think they key will be jumping on Severino to build a healthy lead and let Odo relax a bit while forcing the Yankees to go to their pen early.

A close game in the late innings does not favor us.

#25 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,847 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

This time I think we can say “yes, they were one player away.” A starting pitcher. Not that that excuses the other players who haven’t showed up yet this series.
  • David HK likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#26 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,441 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:46 PM

I'm just sick of it.

And I'm old. '65 World Series is my first baseball memory. I grew up with those power-hitting and power-pitching Twins of the mid-60's, suffered through the 70's and especially early 80's, before our brief moments in the sun. Then, those 2000's, where we bent over for the Yanks and others every dang first round, save once. 

This season took me, and lots of others, pleasantly by surprise. What a wonderful ride, even through the tight days of late Aug- early September. But just playing meaningful games that late in the year was such a gas!

And now, we're one step away from tarnishing that whole year. Having it rendered meaningless. 

I'm also a massive rugby fan, and still and active player. Right now, the Rugby World Cup is going on, and the USA is once again a 'guest.' Cup after Cup, the US has been involved, but on the receiving end of horrid beatings that would make the Yanks' dominance seem mild. This year, I thought, they've been coming on since the last Cup, have a pro league now in the US, and tons of players overseas in prestigious leagues- this year, maybe we won't be beaten like a drum by everyone.

Nope. Blasted away by England, torched by France, about to be smacked down by Argentina, then Tonga, probably, because we get them on a short turnaround. Just like the Twins, a long road of bright play and good results all thrown away under the hot lights. It's like all that progress over the past years didn't even happen. When the time comes to show what you can do, too many guys show what they can't do.

Yes, this season will be a good memory. But unless we make a massive sucking-up and come out on a mission from God, it's just another remake of the same crappy movie.

• TiberTwins, LaBombo, TwinsFan50 and 1 other like this

#27 Richard Swerdlick

Richard Swerdlick

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 65 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:41 AM

If I ran the Twins and if David Ortiz was in the country, I would have paid him to come and give the team a pep talk about how the RedSox came back from being down 3-0 and beat the Yankees 4 straight in 2004.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,902 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:40 AM

This time I think we can say “yes, they were one player away.” A starting pitcher. Not that that excuses the other players who haven’t showed up yet this series.

It takes way more than one player to account for an 18-6 differential.
  • Twins33, Danchat and chpettit19 like this

#29 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• 427 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:05 AM

The problem is not just pitching, the problem is they look absolutely scared crapless. The Yanks look like they have been here countless times which they have.

The Twins are not going to take this game. It is the same thing everytime we go to the playoffs. Rinse and repeat.
  • scottz likes this

#30 Ken A67

Ken A67

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:31 AM

Twins win with Odorizzi tonight 11 8 final. Game 4 we must put up another big number to win. Game 5 in New York would be great to make it that far at this point.

#31 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

I don't get all the criticism.Doesn't it make sense to hold Rogers back until our backs against the wall and it really matters?

• Tomj14 likes this

#32 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:07 AM

I agree with the criticism with the proviso that it ain’t over until it’s over. We’ll have an entire offseason for autopsies. Meanwhile, I remember the Yanks with a 3-0 game lead on Boston. Remember what happened? Hope springs eternal until the last inning.

#33 peterb18

peterb18

• 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:13 AM

The problem is the Pohlads. Not even the slightest interest in baseball. All businesses need leadership from ownership. We don’t have that. And never an article in the Star Tribune evaluating this weak ownership. Gripes they’ve tried to at one time sell the team and once tried to contract. Just interested in the money.
  • SpicyGarvSauce likes this

#34 KidBro

KidBro

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 96 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:15 AM

Didn’t the Twins have about a 100 point higher winning percentage on the road compared to home this season?

I expected a split in NY, a split in Min and Gm5 all hands on deck. Gm 1 was our chance to split in NY.I won’t cite Baldelli not using Rogers and Romo as of yet as issues. They are our late inning guys, one of which with plenty of October experience. I think Berrios should have been brought back out to start the 5th, w/ Duffy and May ready to bridge the gap to late innings. Shoot even Graterol. But glad he got a look, experience, and confidence. He can and should be used if/when necessary.

• jz7233 likes this

#35 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 395 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

I think there’s only one pitcher better than Berríos on the free agent market next year.

I'm guessing that Strasburg will opt out of his contract.

Stuff-wise Berrios has a case as being better than these pitchers but from a recent FIP standpoint there isn't much difference between him and Bumgarner, Keuchel, Quintana, Wood, or Wheeler.

• Tomj14 likes this

#36 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

My take is that the rotation for this series was messed up from the get-go. Berrios and Odorizzi should have started games 1 and 2. I also believe that, as bad as he may have been, Perez should have been on the roster. There is no substitute for experience. Also, depending on how the first 2 games would have gone would determine who starts game 3. While I hope we can win tonight and maybe even tomorrow if Berrios can pitch on short rest, I don't see us winning a game 5 if it gets that far. I also did not believe that our bullpen was better than the Yankees bullpen going in though both closers were close to equal. I don't blame Rocco with his decisions though it looks bad with what he has chosen. I would probably have picked May in game 1 and who knows in game 2 as noone was used to that situation (maybe Perez to face Didi). I hope we can get the lead tonight and Odo can hold down the fort. GO TWINS!

#37 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:38 AM

What happened to "enjoy the ride?" I can't count how many times I was told that when I suggested they add to their thin pitching ranks...

• Tomj14 likes this

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#38 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 639 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

It's mind-boggling to me that Baldelli goes from his Joan of Arc patience with his starters to Captain Hook. As I can watch the games here in Japan on cable, I was a bit flummoxed at Baldelli's quick hook. Berrios was not getting hit hard IMHO and Dobnak wasn't even given a chance to work out of the jam despite his record of consistently managing such situations during the regular season. (I just wanted one more batter in the third inning. If you say he is your starter, there has to be a modicum of trust in his ability.)
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and Tomj14 like this

#39 scottz

scottz

• 714 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

Aaron Judge has won exactly as many championships as Eddie Rosario. Gleyber Torres has won as many as Miguel Sano. The Twins are playing as if every one of these guys is Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth. Grow a pair and play ball.

• pbrezeasap and Danchat like this

#40 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

Well, you could argue that our ace is out due to an untimely urine sample.That pretty much sealed our fate.MLB wants the Yankees in the playoffs...it's about money.I doubt they will get that untimely urine sample that takes their ace out of the playoffs.

Their ace was suspended right before the playoffs on suspicion of domestic abuse. So, this conspiracy theory doesn't add up. 

• USAFChief, pbrezeasap, Danchat and 2 others like this

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rocco baldelli, tyler duffey