Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Opening Day Roster

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 437 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

Any roster projection that has Dobnak in the upper portion of your starting rotation is bad news for 2020. The guy is a feel good story, and he pitched well for the Twins this season. But these guys have come around before, and eventually flamed out.

Dobnak is nice as your 5th starter, but anything higher than that is asking for trouble.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, Sssuperdave and 4 others like this

#42 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:37 PM

I have no idea why so many are of the belief that Astudillo as the back up catcher is a given.

Neither Baldelli or the FO have given any indication that they like Astudillo behind the plate. Indeed, most of their actions indicate the opposite.

I think a veteran back up is far more likely. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Castro.

Garver needs to get more at bats in 2020. Most logically at first base.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 07 October 2019 - 12:38 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#43 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

Overweight 3rd baseman

• 382 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

And? Of course they should extend their best players. That doesn't exclude acquiring players from outside the org. I'm not sure your point.

My point was to defend the initial posters (the one you originally resounded to) thoughts on 2020 roster. He made some additions and you made the comment that the Twins would still be leaving a lot of money on the table. If the Twins had plans to tie up that money in extensions for several of their young players, payroll could be similar to this year’s.

#44 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

Line-up

3B: Arreaz

2B: Polanco

DH: Cruz

RF: Kepler

1B: Sano

LF: Gonzalez

C:Garver

CF: Buxton

SS: Gordon

Bench: Astudillo, Adrianza, Billy Hamilton, Wade or Cave

Starters

Cole (5 years/$175 million)

Syndergaard (trade a package of Rosario, Balazovic +)

Berrios

Pineda (1 year with option)

Dobnak/Graterol/Smeltzer

Bullpen:

Rogers

Duffy

May

Romo (re-sign 1 year)

Littell

Stashak

Lefty FA

Dobnak/Graterol/Smeltzer/Thorpe

Total payroll $130-$135 million

I think this improves the IF defense at all spots except 1B. If Gordon flops and/or Kierloff is ready, Gonzalez moves to 3B and Polanco/Arreaz go back to SS and 2B and Kierloff/Wade/Cave take LF.

Edited by howeda7, 07 October 2019 - 02:00 PM.

• Mike Sixel, brvama, cmoss84 and 2 others like this

#45 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,470 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

Line-up
C: Garver

Starters
Berrios
Dobnak/Graterol/Smeltzer

Bullpen:
Rogers
Duffy
May
Romo (re-sign 1 year)
Littell
Stashak
Lefty FA

I think this improves the IF defense at all spots except 1B. If Gordon flops and/or Kierloff is ready, Gonzalez moves to 3B and Polanco/Arreaz go back to SS and 2B and Kierloff/Wade/Cave take LF.

I haven’t seen Gordon play to know about his defense but I like the model here.

Twins improve defense and save money on the contracts of Schoop and Cron in the infield.

Reallocate that money towards pitching and address run prevention with both moves.
  • brvama and DocBauer like this

#46 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,698 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:33 PM

Line-up
C: Garver

Starters
Berrios
Dobnak/Graterol/Smeltzer

Bullpen:
Rogers
Duffy
May
Romo (re-sign 1 year)
Littell
Stashak
Lefty FA

Going to need another 50+ million on that Cole contact... Plus, Gordon starting a SS? You're kidding right?
  • Mike Sixel and Tomj14 like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#47 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,677 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:49 PM

Because I love the speculation game, Huskers, Vikings, Twins, and my dad and friends and I play this game all the time, I will gladly bite.

I/we reflected on this already in the 2020 payroll thread. And we will do this over and again a dozen times before 2020 begins. But this stuff is fun!

Going to try and abbreviate my previous comments in the other thread. I am also going to maintain the 2020 payroll example of $60M to play with for 2020, even though I think the Twins can and will exceed their $ numbers from this year.

I am also basing my roster on what's on hand, what I hope is good logic, a feel for the FO and the work they have done, and even recent rumors and ties that make sense. Also, speculation for the marketplace as we've seen it play out the past few seasons.

1] We need 3 SP. That task is not as daunting as it appears. Odorizzi will sign for about $14M to an absolute max of $16M per year on a 3yr deal with a possible option. HUGE money for him, more than he bas ever made, about right IMO, and nobody is going to sign him for more. He is GOOD. Actually, quite good. But he is in no way $18M+ good! He and his agent should jump on anything close to this, with a good club, window open, and stick with Johnson and the Twins.

Despite whatever happened, unless there is massive amounts of lip service taking place, all parties appear to be on board for a return of a healthy and clean, (hopefully smarter), Pineda returning in 2020. But he is not going to break the bank. I'm not certain if he gets 1yr or 2 or some 1 + 1, but he's back for about $12M.

The 3rd SP is KEY! I still find myself laughing at times at how some are down on Berrios, not 26yo until May of next year, as some sort of disappointment. Different arguement for another time. But we need someone to join him. I'd LOVE Cole, but dismiss him. Just being logical as well as practical. He re-signs or gets even more $ or an extra year or 2 from LA, N.Y., Boston, etc, IMO. So the Twins look at the next best option and either make a major trade, or look at the next best FA option. Contending teams DON'T trade top SP. But the FO might have their eye on a guy or two about ready to explode with Johnson working with him. Or they could sign a veteran like Bumgarner who has life yet, and is ready for a change of scenery and a new opportunity and approach.

For this scenario, I'm going with Bumgarner on a 3yr deal for $16-18M. A HUGE payday for him, and a new opportunity. Would anyone really offer mkre than this, combined with being a competitive team?

2] There is so much good right here, that I think some re-signings make a ton of sense and won't cost much. The exception would be a trade or FA signing for 1 more BP piece.

2020:

Regular lineup:

Rosario
Buxton
Kepler
Cruz
Sano
Polanco
Arraez
Cron [give a better $5M option for a year or two and I could be in!]
Garver

Bench:

Gonzalez
Adrianza
Cave [Wade has a shot and window, but a smart FA signing could surprise]
Castro [$4M ish as a semi-regular who fits well and won't get a better offer]
Astudillo [versatile, solid, productive when healthy]

Rotation:

Berrios
Bumgarner/Trade
Odorizzi
Pineda
Dobnak, Smeltzer, Thorpe, Graterol [possible flier]

Bullpen:

Rogers
Duffey
May
Littell
Romo [re-signed]
Stashak
LH FA/trade [really like the Smith option, and we've been tied to him]

26 man roster with the option of carrying an 8th RP and letting a position player go. Payroll is the same as 2019, or slightly elevated. This allows for extensions. And still provides opportunity for a payroll approaching $150M with an unknown addition.
  • brvama likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#48 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,544 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:56 PM

Who's your starter for the nine games Pineda misses? And, he'll likely be very rusty when he comes back, after 8 months of not being with a team.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#49 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• 364 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

Because I love the speculation game, Huskers, Vikings, Twins, and my dad and friends and I play this game all the time, I will gladly bite.
I/we reflected on this already in the 2020 payroll thread. And we will do this over and again a dozen times before 2020 begins. But this stuff is fun!
Going to try and abbreviate my previous comments in the other thread. I am also going to maintain the 2020 payroll example of $60M to play with for 2020, even though I think the Twins can and will exceed their $ numbers from this year.
I am also basing my roster on what's on hand, what I hope is good logic, a feel for the FO and the work they have done, and even recent rumors and ties that make sense. Also, speculation for the marketplace as we've seen it play out the past few seasons.
1] We need 3 SP. That task is not as daunting as it appears. Odorizzi will sign for about $14M to an absolute max of $16M per year on a 3yr deal with a possible option. HUGE money for him, more than he bas ever made, about right IMO, and nobody is going to sign him for more. He is GOOD. Actually, quite good. But he is in no way $18M+ good! He and his agent should jump on anything close to this, with a good club, window open, and stick with Johnson and the Twins.
Despite whatever happened, unless there is massive amounts of lip service taking place, all parties appear to be on board for a return of a healthy and clean, (hopefully smarter), Pineda returning in 2020. But he is not going to break the bank. I'm not certain if he gets 1yr or 2 or some 1 + 1, but he's back for about $12M.
The 3rd SP is KEY! I still find myself laughing at times at how some are down on Berrios, not 26yo until May of next year, as some sort of disappointment. Different arguement for another time. But we need someone to join him. I'd LOVE Cole, but dismiss him. Just being logical as well as practical. He re-signs or gets even more $ or an extra year or 2 from LA, N.Y., Boston, etc, IMO. So the Twins look at the next best option and either make a major trade, or look at the next best FA option. Contending teams DON'T trade top SP. But the FO might have their eye on a guy or two about ready to explode with Johnson working with him. Or they could sign a veteran like Bumgarner who has life yet, and is ready for a change of scenery and a new opportunity and approach.
For this scenario, I'm going with Bumgarner on a 3yr deal for $16-18M. A HUGE payday for him, and a new opportunity. Would anyone really offer mkre than this, combined with being a competitive team?
2] There is so much good right here, that I think some re-signings make a ton of sense and won't cost much. The exception would be a trade or FA signing for 1 more BP piece.
2020:
Regular lineup:
Rosario
Buxton
Kepler
Cruz
Sano
Polanco
Arraez
Cron [give a better $5M option for a year or two and I could be in!]
Garver
Bench:
Gonzalez
Adrianza
Cave [Wade has a shot and window, but a smart FA signing could surprise]
Castro [$4M ish as a semi-regular who fits well and won't get a better offer]
Astudillo [versatile, solid, productive when healthy]
Rotation:
Berrios
Bumgarner/Trade
Odorizzi
Pineda
Dobnak, Smeltzer, Thorpe, Graterol [possible flier]
Bullpen:
Rogers
Duffey
May
Littell
Romo [re-signed]
Stashak
LH FA/trade [really like the Smith option, and we've been tied to him]
26 man roster with the option of carrying an 8th RP and letting a position player go. Payroll is the same as 2019, or slightly elevated. This allows for extensions. And still provides opportunity for a payroll approaching $150M with an unknown addition.

The team you listed above (with the exceptions of Bumgarner and Pineda) just got swept in the playoffs. Do Bumgarner and Pineda win a game or 2 in the playoffs next year? I'm not so sure they do.

#50 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:31 PM

I haven’t seen Gordon play to know about his defense but I like the model here.

Twins improve defense and save money on the contracts of Schoop and Cron in the infield.

Reallocate that money towards pitching and address run prevention with both moves.

I've not seen Gordon either, but his defensive stats show he's at least an average SS. 

#51 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:33 PM

Who's your starter for the nine games Pineda misses? And, he'll likely be very rusty when he comes back, after 8 months of not being with a team.

Though they open with 7 straight games, which is unusual, typically, you only need a 5th starter 2-3 times in April. I believe Pineda will be eligible to return around May 10th. Assuming Dobnak wins the 5th starter job in Spring, he becomes the #4 and someone else (probably Smeltzer) makes 4-5 start.I assume they won't want to continue Graterol's clock for a few starts. 

Edited by howeda7, 07 October 2019 - 11:34 PM.

#52 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:37 PM

Going to need another 50+ million on that Cole contact... Plus, Gordon starting a SS? You're kidding right?

I think $35 million/year for Cole is realistic. Might have to go to 6 years though.

Why can't Gordon play SS? He hit .292 OPS .801 this year. His defense appears at least average. He may flop, but why can't he be given a shot? He'll be 24 and has 600 AAA at bats. It's time to $%% or get off the pot with him. 

Edited by howeda7, 07 October 2019 - 11:39 PM.

• brvama and beckmt like this

#53 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:51 PM

I want Johann Santana as our Pitching Coach. And whenever Nelly retires I want him back as our 1st base coach. If Big Mike shows up as Slim Mike, waving a Bible and and an AA Coin let's resign him. Perez is still young, let's see him, Smeltzer, Dobnak, Berrios and Odorizzi in Spring Training. I dont want to waste 162 days of my life next year......

#54 LFRGary

LFRGary

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

If we want the Twins to be a 1-and-done team, stick with this formula. If you want a legitimate WS Championship contender, we'll need a better starting rotation. Look at Houston & the Yankees rotations. Houston's staff starts with Verlander-Gerrit-Grienke. The Yankees start with Paxton-Tanaka-Severino, followed by a bullpen with Britton & Chapman, etc.

Berrios isn't a top-of-the-rotation guy at this point. Perhaps he will be with experience. Since Boras represents both Lewis & Kiriloff, why not trade both for a stud like deGrom or Syndergaard? It isn't like we need a shortstop & a slugging corner OF/1B.

#55 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 12:51 AM

I think the biggest weakness is defense. At the start of the year with Buxton in CF, Gonzalez at 3B and Schoop at 2B it was pretty solid. When Sano returned and Arraez and Cave started getting more playing time the defense became a liability. Innings and pitch counts were extended and it led to even shorter starts by pitchers.

The outfield is fixed with Buxton in CF but Cave and Wade are not good defenders in CF and have different liabilities on a corner. Wade routes and arm strength and Cave’s decision making will keep them as fourth OFs at best.

The infield is the bigger challenge will below to well below average play all around. I wonder if finding an elite defensive SS while moving Polanco to 2B, Arraez to 3B and Sano to 1B should be a priority.

I agree with a lot of this but two things stand out:

I don't think Wade is a liability, I think he's just young.

Arraez does not have the arm to play third over the course of a season.

But overall, you're right that the Twins played a pretty bad defensive alignment and it cost them a ton of runs. Say what you will about previous regimes but they never let this bad an alignment happen while the Twins were contending (and that's not a coincidence).

• DocBauer likes this

#56 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,470 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:01 AM

My guess

3B Sano

SS Polanco

2B Arraez

1B Gonzalez (until Rooker or Kirloff arrives then UT

LF Rosario (Would love to get a starter for him, but he is not that valueable)

CF Buxton

RF Kepler 

CGarver

DH Cruz

C FA (maybe Castro or take chance on FA and move Garver to first).

UT Arrenzia

UT Gordon (if not traded)

OF Wade (my choice) or Cave

SP

Cole or Strassburg (We need to pony up the money to get to the next level, people)

Berrios

Oderzizzi (if he takes the QO)

Pineda 

Thrope or Dobnick to start

Bullpen

Rogers

May

Duffy

Littell

FA

Round trip to Rochester

Would like to trade for an #1 or #2 starter, but expect price would be too high so this is my guess.

#57 1490

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

My optimistic semi-realistic plan

SP
Cole (6/200)
Berrios (arb)
Odorizzi (3/45, 4th-year team option for 18)
Pineda (1/10, 2nd year vesting option for 12 - suspended for ~40 games means we'll pay 7.5)
Gibson (1/10, 2nd year vesting option for 12)

I'm in the camp of making Cole the #1 priority of this offseason, so I'd be willing to pay more for him if necessary. Meanwhile, both Pineda and Gibson are be good buy-low candidates with vesting options. Pineda's absence won't be felt badly since teams rarely really need a 5th starter until late April. The downfall here is that it puts a lot of faith in two fairly big question marks - if Gibson keeps laying eggs or if Pineda regresses, we may be heavily dependent on Smelzer, Dobnak, Thorpe, Gonsalves, or Graterol sooner than we'd like. Either way, I'd assume that by the end of the year, at least one of those five will be in the permanent starting rotation.

BP

CL: Rogers (arb)
SU: Tyler Clippard (2/12)
SU: Will Harris (2/14)
SU: Romo (1/5)
MI: Duffy (arb)
MI: May (arb)
MI/Long: Littell (pre-arb)
26th man: AAA pitcher of the week

The immediate flaw here is the lack of a second lefty. Obviously Will Smith would be Option A for that, but I strongly doubt this front office would be willing to do a 3+ year deal for a reliever, and I think Smith will be looking for at least that. Jerry Blevens is an option too, and Sean Doolittle may be an option, and may be a possible candidate for a one-year-make good contract, but I don't like where either of their numbers are trending and they are as likely or not to be a bust. Plus, Washington would need to decline Doolittle's option for him to even be available. Francisco Liriano wouldn't be a bad option, and it would be worth checking in on him if we must get another lefty, but I'm not not convinced he'll be as nearly effective this as he was last year (that 4.53 FIP doesn't encourage me). Plus, there's that three-batter minimum rule going into effect next year too, which reduces the need of a lefty specialist. So that leaves resigning Romo and getting Clippard and Harris. Clippard is about as consistent as relievers come, and he's arguably been his most effective the past two years. Plus, while he wasn't at Cleveland while Falvey was, the Cleveland tie doesn't hurt. As for Harris, I may be undershooting a bit at 2/14, but I'd be willing to go up to 2/20. Plus, if we get Cole, and already having Gonzalez, maybe Harris can be recruited by his old teammates (or, if we sign him first, he could help recruit Cole). If Harris is too big of an ask, I sure wouldn't mind bringing back Brandon Kintzler on either a one-or-two year deal.

IF

C: Garver (pre-arb)
1B: ?????
2B: Polacno (3.8)
3B: Sano (arb)
SS: Didi Gergorius (4/60, opt-out after year 1)

If getting Cole is priority 1 for me, then priority 2 is getting Didi Gregorius. Coming off an injury and his least-effective season, he'll be affordable even with getting Cole. Giving him a four-year deal provides him security, while providing an opt-out will allow him flexibility if he wants an even bigger payday after next year (and may free up the SS spot for Lewis). He's better defensively than Polanco, and would provide great leadership and a winning attitude. This allows Polanco to move to 2nd where he has probably been destined all along. Gregorius will almost certainly be offered a QO from the Yankees, so signing him will resulting in losing a first-round pick. Take that for what it's worth.

As for Cron, I'm letting him go and not signing a direct replacement, and doing so opens up a number of fascinating options. I have Sano listed at 3rd, but I figure that he can probably split time between 3rd and 1st all season long, prepping him for a probably-inevitable move to 1st. On days when he's at 1st, Gonzalez or Arraez can take 3rd. When he's at 3rd, Gonzalez, Kepler, or Rooker (or Arraez? can he play 1st?) plays 1st. This will allow the team flexibility to potentially shuffle some of their top AAA bats (Kiriloff, Larnach, Rooker, maybe someone else who emerges, Jaylen Davis-esque) and get them some experience with a legitimate MLB playoff team. With the emphasis on flexibility increasing, and judging on some of the things I saw the Twins do with their lineup last year, I feel like this is a real possibility.

(note: if Gregorius for some reason accepts the QO that the Yankees will inevitably offer him, then just resign Cron, or maybe make a 3-year offer to Jose Abreu)

OF

CF: Buxton (arb)
RF: Kepler (6.3)
LF: Rosario (arb)

Tried and true. I'm not on the "trade Rosie" bandwagon, and I think that his presence on the team is both helpful and important. He's the one responsible for the "Bomba Squad" after all. 

DH

Cruz (12)

Duh...

Bench

C: Astudillo (pre-arb)
SUPER-UT: Gonzalez (9)
SUPER-UT: Arraez (pre-arb)
IF-UT: Adrianza (arb)
OF: Cave (pre-arb) (I figure this can be a revolving door with Wade, Rooker, Kiriloff, and Larnach, but mostly Cave)

If there is one thing that I don't like about this plan, it is the lack of a regular, full-time position for Arraez. But based on what the team did last year with resting and moving players around, I'm sure he'll have at-bats aplenty. Plus, in the days he's on the bench, there is no player I would rather have pinch-hit than Arraez.

EST Payroll - 160mil

#58 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:59 PM

If I'm the FO, I'm targeting a pitcher who has good numbers against the Yankees. 

I don't care how good the pitcher is, heck, he can be a Cy Young winner, for all I care, but, if his numbers are bad against the Yankees, no thanks.

And, the numbers say Gerrit Cole would be that guy.

Surprisingly, Jake Odorizzi has decent numbers against the Yankees.

We better look for hitters who have success against Cole, because he will be a Yankee soon. 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#59 pierre75275

pierre75275

• 462 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

Let Castro and Cron walk and sign Yasami Grandel. Have Arrez play 2nd. Austidillo can be the 3rd catcher. Keep Adrianza and you have 3 players who can play multiple positions.
I want Oderizzi back. I would like Perez gone. I woukd like Zack Wheeler. Would maybe like a guy like Porcello.
I would check Gibson's health in March and see where he is at.

#60 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 193 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Can't believe the front office has allowed themselves to get into this mess of going into the offseason with 1 established starting pitcher. Free agency is not a great place to acquire a starting rotation. I'm guessing at least 1 of Pineda and Odorizzi are re-signed and 1 starter is acquired via trade. I have a feeling the 4th guy is going to be more bargain-bin than top free agent. The Twins are not going to pay over market and the odds of the few top pitchers wanting to come to Minnesota over a big market team is slim. The big boys have great offenses too and compete every year. Also some of those guys like the spotlight of a big market and some would view Minneapolis as kind of backwoods. I don't, but some of the NY, LA, Chicago type folks do. Possible a guy like Cole has some kind of link to the area or wants a change of pace, you never know and I'd at least make an attempt. Finally for the 5th spot I'm guessing this comes down to aSmeltzer/Dobnak/Graterol/Thorpe battle royal. Leaving more than 1 spot to this group seems crazy and I hope its not attempted. I think Graterol likely needs more seasoning having barely thrown above A ball and the rest of the guys are back of the rotation filler. Overall I think the odds of success having to build almost an entire starting rotation in the offseason is low. Will be very interesting to watch though.