Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Opening Day Roster

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 710 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, look, Eddie is not the problem. When he is hot, he can carry a team. And that throw he made to second on the double in the corner was a perfect strike to 2B. Right on the money. 

Twins need to move a couple top prospects for a stud SP, and they need to sign a guy like Cole. Why not fire sale Gordon, Lewis and a slugger for a stud SP? 

I'd say add Cole and Wheeler and say goodbye to Gibby and Perez. Offer Jake and Pineda (at a discount due to the suspension).Cut ties with Schoop and Cron.Take a look at Kiri, or Rooker at 1B or move Sano overthere. 

But on the "don't over react" side.Timing was bad and luck was bad. Losing big Mike was not bad luck though.He did a dumb thing. Keps and Cron and Marwin were rusty, as was Luis.Bad luck. And Berrios has worn down each year by October. He is not effective if he pitches 200 innings. He should skip a rotation spot starting third week of August to give him more rest. Or pitch him on 7 days rest late in the season until he develops more stamina.. 

Edited by Kelly Vance, 06 October 2019 - 10:43 AM.

• DocBauer and jz7233 like this

#22 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 710 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:34 AM

Considering that Odorizzi, Gibson, Perez, and Pineda are all free agents (over 33 million saved) plus another 15.5 million saved with Schoop and Castro we have to go after a top tier SP.We should have money for 2 and it shows how much we need some veteran SP's against the Yankees.

And you need two stud SPs to go deep in the playoffs. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#23 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

I think the biggest weakness is defense. At the start of the year with Buxton in CF, Gonzalez at 3B and Schoop at 2B it was pretty solid. When Sano returned and Arraez and Cave started getting more playing time the defense became a liability. Innings and pitch counts were extended and it led to even shorter starts by pitchers.

The outfield is fixed with Buxton in CF but Cave and Wade are not good defenders in CF and have different liabilities on a corner. Wade routes and arm strength and Cave’s decision making will keep them as fourth OFs at best.

The infield is the bigger challenge will below to well below average play all around. I wonder if finding an elite defensive SS while moving Polanco to 2B, Arraez to 3B and Sano to 1B should be a priority.

Royce lewis, all the other teams seem willing to try younger players - Why Not

#24 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 571 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

RF- Max Kepler
SS- Jorge Polanco
DH- Nelson Cruz
1B- Carlos Santana*
3B- Miguel Sano
LF- Eddie Rosario
C- Mitch Garver
CF- Byron Buxton
2B- Luis Arraez

OF- Lamonte Wade
UTL- Marwin Gonzalez
C- Jason Castro*

1) Jose Berrois
2) Eduardo Rodriguez*
3) Dallas Keuchel*
4) Brusdar Graterol
5) Jake Odorizzi*

CL- Edwin Diaz*
Raisel Iglesias*
Fernando Romero
Taylor Rogers
Hector Rondon*
Martin Perez (or Tony Watson)*
Tyler Duffey
Trevor May

Edited by ChrisKnutson, 06 October 2019 - 12:04 PM.

• Mike Sixel and KidBro like this

#25 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 216 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

Everyone seems to throw stud top of the rotation ace super duper starting pitcher out there like there are many available. I think they develop the rotation in house withb- or c level fill in starters. I think they continue to build the bullpen with Graterol going back into the starting rotation until he proves he can't. I hope Balazovic makes some starts next year, probably would be very late.

I see a rotation of Berrios, Gibson, & Odorizzi with pick-em 4 & 5 of Gonzlvez, Jax, Smeltzer, Alcala Dobnek etc plus a low level free agent or 2.

They will thump a lot plus a few minor leaguers knocking on the door, but I don't see much spending anywhere.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,544 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

Everyone seems to throw stud top of the rotation ace super duper starting pitcher out there like there are many available. I think they develop the rotation in house with b- or c level fill in starters. I think they continue to build the bullpen with Graterol going back into the starting rotation until he proves he can't. I hope Balazovic makes some starts next year, probably would be very late.

I see a rotation of Berrios, Gibson, & Odorizzi with pick-em 4 & 5 of Gonzlvez, Jax, Smeltzer, Alcala Dobnek etc plus a low level free agent or 2.

They will thump a lot plus a few minor leaguers knocking on the door, but I don't see much spending anywhere.

Almost everyone in this thread is predicting the opposite of stud pitching.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 KL1551

KL1551

Elizabethton Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:55 PM

It would be very shocking if Kyle Gibson gets signed to a contract with the Twins this offseason. For a team with postseason ambitions, I would be very disappointed if he gets re-signed.

Everyone seems to throw stud top of the rotation ace super duper starting pitcher out there like there are many available. I think they develop the rotation in house withb- or c level fill in starters. I think they continue to build the bullpen with Graterol going back into the starting rotation until he proves he can't. I hope Balazovic makes some starts next year, probably would be very late.

• beckmt likes this

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,497 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

I don't think the Twins spend anything on free agents for the line-up, they just bring back everyone but Schoop and Castro. For pitching they really need to spend major money on a top of the rotation free agent starter and a high-end free agent reliever. I also see them re-signing Odorizzi (after sticking him with a qualifying offer) and Romo (on a 1 year deal) while declining to bring back Dyson and Perez.

Starting lineup:

C - Garver

1B - Cron

2B - Arraez

SS - Polanco

3B - Sano

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Rosario

DH - Cruz

Bench:

IF/OF - Gonzalez

IF - Gordon

OF - Cave

C - Astudillo

Starters:

Berrios

FA signing

Odorizzi (re-signed)

Dobnak

Graterol

Relievers:

Rogers

FA signing

Duffey

May

Romo (re-signed)

Littell

Stashak

Romero

I'd say it's pretty much this minus Graterol. I don't see him going 150-180 innings next season. He's going to be on a count of around 120 or so I'd guess. I could see them working him out the pen perhaps and then sending him down for a couple weeks to stretch him out, but I don't think he rolls with the team, even as a 5th starter... Don't be surprised if you see Gibson or Pineda back. 

• KL1551 likes this

#29 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 386 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:55 PM

Every plan so far cuts spending by twenty to thirty million. And makes the pitching worse. That better not be the plan. won't surprise me though.

I think the Twins can get up to $135-140M in payroll by re-signing Odorizzi/Romo, signing a top end starter like Gerrit Cole, and adding a high end reliever like Will Smith. This is truly the off-season where the front office needs to go all-in and actually spend on top end talent. Any remaining money can go towards extensions for Berrios/Buxton/Sano/May.

• Kelly Vance likes this

#30 Twins1964

Twins1964

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

I don't think the Twins spend anything on free agents for the line-up, they just bring back everyone but Schoop and Castro. For pitching they really need to spend major money on a top of the rotation free agent starter and a high-end free agent reliever. I also see them re-signing Odorizzi (after sticking him with a qualifying offer) and Romo (on a 1 year deal) while declining to bring back Dyson and Perez.

Starting lineup:
C - Garver
1B - Cron
2B - Arraez
SS - Polanco
3B - Sano
RF - Kepler
CF - Buxton
LF - Rosario
DH - Cruz

Bench:
IF/OF - Gonzalez
IF - Gordon
OF - Cave
C - Astudillo

Starters:
Berrios
FA signing
Odorizzi (re-signed)
Dobnak
Graterol

Relievers:
Rogers
FA signing
Duffey
May
Romo (re-signed)
Littell
Romero

Very solid analysis in all areas. If Twins think Cron will be healthy for 2020 lineup falls into place. Like your thoughts on both starting and bullpen makeup. FO will expect their minor leaguers to make serious contributions last half of 2020. Both lineup and pitching.

#31 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,475 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:05 PM

It's wishful thinking, but the first move I want them to make is to buy an armored truck. The second move is to fill it with a whole lot of money - let's say 10-20% over market value. The third move is to drive it to Gerrit Cole's house and back it up the driveway.

From there, QO to bring Odo back. Then part with some prized minor league guys to get another starter.

Cole, whoever, Berrios, Odo, Graterol.

Lineup, whatever - get a good defensive backup catcher (Tortuga is out because he's not good defensively) and an strong defensive backup IF and call it a day.

• Mike Sixel, DocBauer and Tomj14 like this

#32 Twins1964

Twins1964

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:26 AM

I really hope there isn't actually consideration of penciling Randy Dobnak into the 2020 rotation.

Why not ? FO will definitely consider Dobnak. The grass is not always greener on the other side.
  • brvama and DocBauer like this

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:27 AM

Why not ? FO will definitely consider Dobnak. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

Because this team needs to aim higher than a feel good story if they want to be serious contenders in October.
  • USAFChief, SF Twins Fan, jud6312 and 3 others like this

#34 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 460 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:54 AM

I'd be okay with moving on from Cron, I'd be curious to see what it would take to bring back Castro, 2 yr, 12?  

I agree you might not get much for Rosario, but maybe it's high ceiling talent that we can use to replenish some talent that we spend in a different trade.I'm not sure though in general which teams will be looking to trade away pitching, especially in the offseason when hope springs eternal.Like a Jon Gray?The Marlins are probably tapped out...

• 70charger likes this

#35 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,125 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

If I'm the FO, I'm targeting a pitcher who has good numbers against the Yankees. 

I don't care how good the pitcher is, heck, he can be a Cy Young winner, for all I care, but, if his numbers are bad against the Yankees, no thanks.

And, the numbers say Gerrit Cole would be that guy.

Surprisingly, Jake Odorizzi has decent numbers against the Yankees.

• jud6312 likes this

#36 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• 1,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

Sorry Graterol fans, he'll be in AAA until June.
  • brvama, DocBauer and SF Twins Fan like this

#37 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 869 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:15 AM

I have zero interest in paying Odorizzi 18 million a year to pitch 5 innings. I would much rather spend that money on two relief pitchers that can pitch more than once every 5 days for 5 innings.

I also think if they aren't going to go out and get a stud starting pitcher and they try to convince the fans of a bunch young guys are the answer, they will have less people buying tickets. IMO

#38 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 338 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

I just don't see them paying Cole. Does anyone realistically think the Twins will pony up what would be needed to get him to come here?

Yes, it would be nice, but it will take a pile and the Twins are the cheapest organization in baseball IMO. 

Probably going to have to be a trade if we want high end pitching. Buxton, Lewis, Kiriloff should all be on the table. They won't be though. Most likely the Twins will have a hard time even giving up on prospects in the 10-20 range and we will trade for a guy that profiles as a #4 starter. 

It just won't happen here until a guy like Graterol or someone develops into a shutdown guy. Twins have never and likely will never trade for or buy the type of pitching that is needed to make deep playoff runs. 

#39 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

Overweight 3rd baseman

• 382 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:47 AM

Every plan so far cuts spending by twenty to thirty million. And makes the pitching worse. That better not be the plan. won't surprise me though.

Cutting spending should definitely not happen. While I don’t think this regime, will likely ever carry a $15M reliever, they do have several young players to consider locking up to extensions and that could eat up an additional $18-25M in payroll.

Giving out contracts like Polanco’s and Kepler’s (young and under control) are far more likely to maximize ROI than 30+ year olds hitting free agency. Personally, I’d prefer to lock up Berrios, Sano and even roll the dice on Buxton extensions this off-season.

Everyone has their own methods, but outside of Jon Singleton, young players getting extended, tend to work out better than FA.
  • beckmt likes this

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,544 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Cutting spending should definitely not happen. While I don’t think this regime, will likely ever carry a $15M reliever, they do have several young players to consider locking up to extensions and that could eat up an additional $18-25M in payroll.

Giving out contracts like Polanco’s and Kepler’s (young and under control) are far more likely to maximize ROI than 30+ year olds hitting free agency. Personally, I’d prefer to lock up Berrios, Sano and even roll the dice on Buxton extensions this off-season.

Everyone has their own methods, but outside of Jon Singleton, young players getting extended, tend to work out better than FA.

And? Of course they should extend their best players. That doesn't exclude acquiring players from outside the org. I'm not sure your point.
  • brvama and jud6312 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins.