Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Opening Day Roster

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 KL1551

KL1551

Elizabethton Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:04 PM

Alright everyone - 

This series has me super depressed. Seeing that we more than likely aren't going to come back and win the series, I've already moved on to 2020.  I am anxious to see what the roster might look like next year.  Here is what I am hoping the opening day roster looks like next year. I'm trying to be somewhat realistic based on the types of acquisitions the Twins make; however, I realize my roster would be pretty expensive and may not be the most accurate.

C) Garver, Austin Romine (free agent signing that shouldn't cost too much)

1B) Jose Abreu on a 3 year deal? (non-tender Cron) 

2B) Arraez

3B) Sano, Gonzalez 

SS) Polanco, Adrianza

LF) Rosario (although, I wouldn't be opposed to them trading him this offseason while he still has some value)

CF) Buxton, Cave

RF) Kepler

SP) Berrios, Dobnak, and 3 free agents signings (hoping we can get Pineda back, and would love to get someone like a Hyun-Jin Ryu and Zach Wheeler)

RP) Rogers, Duffey, Littell, May, Graterol, Thorpe, Smelzer, Will Harris (free agent signing from the Astros)

I see them non-tendering Sam Dyson and CJ Cron and re-signing Pineda.

What do you guys think? What does your "way too early" 2020 opening day roster look like?

• birdwatcher likes this

#2 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:10 PM

Sign Cron to a 1 year deal and hope Kirilloff is the 1B of the future starting in 2021 (or sooner)

Edited by MNT1996, 05 October 2019 - 07:11 PM.

• SF Twins Fan and Twins1964 like this

#3 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 386 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:00 PM

I don't think the Twins spend anything on free agents for the line-up, they just bring back everyone but Schoop and Castro. For pitching they really need to spend major money on a top of the rotation free agent starter and a high-end free agent reliever. I also see them re-signing Odorizzi (after sticking him with a qualifying offer) and Romo (on a 1 year deal) while declining to bring back Dyson and Perez.

Starting lineup:

C - Garver

1B - Cron

2B - Arraez

SS - Polanco

3B - Sano

RF - Kepler

CF - Buxton

LF - Rosario

DH - Cruz

Bench:

IF/OF - Gonzalez

IF - Gordon

OF - Cave

C - Astudillo

Starters:

Berrios

FA signing

Odorizzi (re-signed)

Dobnak

Graterol

Relievers:

Rogers

FA signing

Duffey

May

Romo (re-signed)

Littell

Stashak

Romero

• NapoleonComplex, Sconnie and Strato Guy like this

#4 KL1551

KL1551

Elizabethton Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

I forgot to include Cruz at DH, so add him and remove Thorpe from my original line up.

Alright everyone - 

This series has me super depressed. Seeing that we more than likely aren't going to come back and win the series, I've already moved on to 2020.  I am anxious to see what the roster might look like next year.  Here is what I am hoping the opening day roster looks like next year. I'm trying to be somewhat realistic based on the types of acquisitions the Twins make; however, I realize my roster would be pretty expensive and may not be the most accurate.

C) Garver, Austin Romine (free agent signing that shouldn't cost too much)

1B) Jose Abreu on a 3 year deal? (non-tender Cron) 

2B) Arraez

3B) Sano, Gonzalez 

SS) Polanco, Adrianza

LF) Rosario (although, I wouldn't be opposed to them trading him this offseason while he still has some value)

CF) Buxton, Cave

RF) Kepler

SP) Berrios, Dobnak, and 3 free agents signings (hoping we can get Pineda back, and would love to get someone like a Hyun-Jin Ryu and Zach Wheeler)

RP) Rogers, Duffey, Littell, May, Graterol, Thorpe, Smelzer, Will Harris (free agent signing from the Astros)

I see them non-tendering Sam Dyson and CJ Cron and re-signing Pineda.

What do you guys think? What does your "way too early" 2020 opening day roster look like?

• Sconnie likes this

#5 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 68 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

Graterol will NOT be in the bullpen next year - he is your best current internal shot for a #1.No dice on Romine, and Abreu is interesting, but too expensive and blocking 1B (which we will need for one of (Rooker, AK, Sano alternative position).As far as free-agent pitchers, you will only see two outside 'middle of the road' SP like Odo, or one attempt at a #1/2 - there will be no second other than a Pineda.In either case, they will make an offer to Pineda (as he is not in a position of strength).They will leave 1-2 spots open for their young pitchers, and I want Graterol to get 1 spot (even in a split with loser of Thorpe or Smeltzer).See below:

If #1/2If Middle of the Road

Free Agent 1 Berrios

BerriosFree Agent 2 (lesser priced Odo)

Pineda/Dobnak? Free Agent 3 (lesser than Odo, reclamation project or Pineda)

Dobnak Dobnak

Smeltzer/Thorpe/Graterol 

By Year End, I would like to see Balazovic and Doan brought up for some SP innings.I would like to see if there is anything left of Gonsalves (or move on), and I want Alcala added to RP.

As far as bullpen, they need to add 1 Free Agent.They need to really find  

• birdwatcher and SF Twins Fan like this

#6 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,694 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:17 PM

I don't think the Twins spend anything on free agents for the line-up, they just bring back everyone but Schoop and Castro. For pitching they really need to spend major money on a top of the rotation free agent starter and a high-end free agent reliever. I also see them re-signing Odorizzi (after sticking him with a qualifying offer) and Romo (on a 1 year deal) while declining to bring back Dyson and Perez.

Starting lineup:
C - Garver
1B - Cron
2B - Arraez
SS - Polanco
3B - Sano
RF - Kepler
CF - Buxton
LF - Rosario
DH - Cruz

Bench:
IF/OF - Gonzalez
IF - Gordon
OF - Cave
C - Astudillo

Starters:
Berrios
FA signing
Odorizzi (re-signed)
Dobnak
Graterol

Relievers:
Rogers
FA signing
Duffey
May
Romo (re-signed)
Littell
Stashak
Romero

I think you're pretty close. I hope the FO goes out and gets the best pitcher available in FA..... It has never happened, but a guy can hope.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#7 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 68 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:33 PM

Ignore the mess in the middle.Merged two different line-ups somehow.This is NOT what I want, but what I think will happen: 

If #1/2 Acquired

Free Agent 1

Berrios

Pineda (or Smeltzer)

Dobnak

Smeltzer or if no Pineda, Thorpe/Graterol (loser to RP)

If Middle of Road Adds

Berrios

Free Agent 2 (Odo, or lesser or cheaper version of 2020 Odo)

Free Agent 3 (Pineda, Cheap Young High Potential, or Reclamation Project)

Dobnak

Smeltzer/Thorpe/Graterol

They need to really find out if Romero is RP immediately, or send him back to SP before they completely devalue him.They need to find a space for or clear out Gonsalves, Stashak, Wells, Barnes, Reed, etc., thus making room for Ober, Colina, Balazovic, Doan, Vallimont, Sands, etc.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,542 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

Every plan so far cuts spending by twenty to thirty million. And makes the pitching worse. That better not be the plan. won't surprise me though.
  • beckmt, NapoleonComplex, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

I'm going to assume that Graterol spends the winter and spring training to be a starter. Joining him will be Odo, Berrios, Michael Pineda, and I hope Balasovic or another hot farm hand. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:02 PM

I really hope there isn't actually consideration of penciling Randy Dobnak into the 2020 rotation.
  • gil4, Lunger, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#11 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 393 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

Any plan better add 2 starting pitchers via trade or FA to drop Berrios the #3 starter or their chances of being a legit WS contender won't change enough to really matter.

....and that is a fact

• Kelly Vance, NapoleonComplex, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,300 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:21 PM

Any plan that doesnt make Berrios the clear number 3 starter, is a plan for continued post season failure. No current Twin should be in the opening day rotation except Berrios and possibly Odo. They'll need to trade from the top of the minor league talent pool to accomplish this, because they ain't signing two free agents at that level.

Also need two additional bullpen arms, suitable for late inning high leverage work, with at least one being LHed.

Re-sign Castro.

Adios Romo, but thanks.

Wouldnt mind a LH hitting first baseman, in place of Cron. Or move Sano to 1st and add a 3rd baseman.

Trade Rosario for what you can get. Find a RH hitting outfielder to platoon with Cave.

$150m should be enough.
  • NapoleonComplex, tarheeltwinsfan, Taildragger8791 and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• 98 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

C - Garver
1B - Cron
2B - Arraez
3B - Sano
SS - Polanco
RF - Kepler
CF - Buxton
LF - Rosario
DH - Cruz

C - Cruz
UT - Gonzalez
UT - Adrianza
OF - Cave

SP - Berrios
SP - Odorizzi
SP - Zach Wheeler
SP - Dobnak
SP - Graterol

RP - Rogers
RP - Duffey
RP - Will Smith
RP - May
RP - Romo
RP - Littell
RP - Stashak
RP - Smeltzer
  • bighat likes this

#14 KL1551

KL1551

Elizabethton Twins

• 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

Going to be a fun offseason, nonetheless.  We have a lot of exciting talent on the way, but lots of holes in the rotation to fill. Is there any chance Alex Kirilloff and/or Rooker or Larnach make the opening day rosters? My gut says Rooker is the most likely. He could play LF (in the event they trade Rosario) or 1st base if they non-tender Cron?

#15 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,024 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:58 AM

C - Garver
1B - Cron
2B - Arraez
3B - Sano
SS - Polanco
RF - Kepler
CF - Buxton
LF - Rosario
DH - Cruz

C - Cruz
UT - Gonzalez
UT - Adrianza
OF - Cave

SP - Berrios
SP - Odorizzi
SP - Zach Wheeler
SP - Dobnak
SP - Graterol

RP - Rogers
RP - Duffey
RP - Will Smith
RP - May
RP - Romo
RP - Littell
RP - Stashak
RP - Smeltzer

Donde esta La Tortuga?

• USNMCPO, SF Twins Fan and DannySD like this

#16 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

I think the biggest weakness is defense. At the start of the year with Buxton in CF, Gonzalez at 3B and Schoop at 2B it was pretty solid. When Sano returned and Arraez and Cave started getting more playing time the defense became a liability. Innings and pitch counts were extended and it led to even shorter starts by pitchers.

The outfield is fixed with Buxton in CF but Cave and Wade are not good defenders in CF and have different liabilities on a corner. Wade routes and arm strength and Cave’s decision making will keep them as fourth OFs at best.

The infield is the bigger challenge will below to well below average play all around. I wonder if finding an elite defensive SS while moving Polanco to 2B, Arraez to 3B and Sano to 1B should be a priority.
  • Harrison Greeley III, Sconnie and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#17 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

I think we got a good idea of the Twins with this trade deadline movement in 2019. They are going to build with pieces in the organization and supplement with a few mid-level free agent signings.

The big questions will be what to do with Cron, Dyson and Adrianza (and possibly Cave).

Resigning Pineda would be a plus, but you don't have him for two months, so what do you do.

Is Ordorzzi worthwhile to bring back on a $30+ million contract, or will he be overwhelmed by riches elsewhere.

What will come of Kyle Gibson.

Do you trade Eddie Rosario, which could be a key to adding a front line starter.

Are Haley, Rooker and Kiriloff ready to tackle the Big Leagues?

Still, with a strng Indians team once again, the White Sox making some waves...can the Twins compete again in the division? We know that is usually the one key (compete in post-season, nah...will just hope luck plays a part).

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,542 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

I think we got a good idea of the Twins with this trade deadline movement in 2019. They are going to build with pieces in the organization and supplement with a few mid-level free agent signings.

The big questions will be what to do with Cron, Dyson and Adrianza (and possibly Cave).

Resigning Pineda would be a plus, but you don't have him for two months, so what do you do.

Is Ordorzzi worthwhile to bring back on a $30+ million contract, or will he be overwhelmed by riches elsewhere.

What will come of Kyle Gibson.

Do you trade Eddie Rosario, which could be a key to adding a front line starter.

Are Haley, Rooker and Kiriloff ready to tackle the Big Leagues?

Still, with a strng Indians team once again, the White Sox making some waves...can the Twins compete again in the division? We know that is usually the one key (compete in post-season, nah...will just hope luck plays a part).

How does trading Rosario help get ML pitching? He'll bring back a minor league player or two.
  • Kelly Vance and Major League Ready like this

#19 Sdrapes

Sdrapes

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

Considering that Odorizzi, Gibson, Perez, and Pineda are all free agents (over 33 million saved) plus another 15.5 million saved with Schoop and Castro we have to go after a top tier SP.We should have money for 2 and it shows how much we need some veteran SP's against the Yankees.

• Kelly Vance likes this

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,542 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

Considering that Odorizzi, Gibson, Perez, and Pineda are all free agents (over 33 million saved) plus another 15.5 million saved with Schoop and Castro we have to go after a top tier SP. We should have money for 2 and it shows how much we need some veteran SP's against the Yankees.

The money coming off the books is between fifty and sixty million. The payroll is also lower than last year. They have plenty of money.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and SF Twins Fan like this