Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins ALDS Game 2 Recap: Nothing Works, Twins Lose 12th Straight To Yankees

randy dobnak tyler duffey eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 396 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

Good thing that we saved Odo and Rodgers until the series was effectively over....

I think we can all agree that It is super important that they are really well rested for the games that will never be played!

It's difficult to sweep the White Sox. We're not taking 3 in a row against the Yankees. I would dearly love to send it back to New York but if I know the Yankees, they don't mess around. 

#42 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:15 PM

The twins won’t advance until they can avoid the Yankees. Period.
  • LaBombo and Longdistancetwins like this

#43 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• 1,031 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:28 PM

They would have lost to Houston. 

• tarheeltwinsfan and D.C Twins like this

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.

#44 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,754 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:30 PM

Pitching and plate approach have been a hot mess two games in a row. The Yankees look far more prepared in both areas, it’s been impressive to watch them execute their game plan. The Twins are letting themselves down, do not seem focused at all.

Disappointing.
  • SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, LaBombo and 3 others like this

#45 Brian450

Brian450

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 169 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:33 PM

No doubt, our 'backs are up against the wall' here.But, but, but, WHEN we win game3 in Minnesota, we'll create just a little bit of doubt in the minds of our opponents.I'll be watching "just in case" ;-).

• Oldgoat_MN and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#46 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

Pitching and plate approach have been a hot mess two games in a row. The Yankees look far more prepared in both areas, it’s been impressive to watch them execute their game plan. The Twins are letting themselves down, do not seem focused at all.
Disappointing.

Confidence is a helluva drug
  • SQUIRREL and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#47 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:43 PM

They would have lost to Houston.

Probably. But the Astros haven’t exactly crushed tampa pitching. 6-2 and currently 3-0. When the twins gave up a 7 run 3rd inning, that was it. I would like to see what the team could do when the game isn’t out of reach. But, pitching.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#48 mdonaghue

mdonaghue

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:46 PM

Fire the manager until we get a playoff manager who actually reads scouting reports.Baldelli, thus far, is as incompetent as Gardenhire was.Solid in the regular season, then his brains turn into water for the playoffs.How do you not play healthy guys, fail to scout the other team's pitching, fail to scout the other team's hitting, and fail to show up prepared to play?In the civilian world Baldelli would be fired.

At least when Molitor and Kelly were around the teams showed up to play, regardless of the talent level.

12 in a row - why didn't we just forfeit as soon as we saw it was the Yankees?  

#49 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 132 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:52 PM

I turned it off after the grand slam.This season was awesome to watch but every flaw has been hyper exposed in the last 2 games and it is super deflating. 

Its kind of hard to be mad because no one really expected them to be in this spot at the beginning of the year.They planned and made moves according to the expectation they could be in the wild card mix 85-90 wins.They built an offense to feast on the weak pitching in the central and a staff to minimize damage.

The division turned out way worse than anyone imagined and a bunch of stuff went right for the Twins. So many things went way better than expected and all the sudden they had the HR record and 101 wins. 

Then they had to face a real, experienced, deep, vet team in the playoffs and it disintegrated.Hopefully this is a hard lesson taken to heart, the window is open but there is a lot of work to be done to be a real threat.  

The rotation needs an ace period.Pay whatever it costs money or prospect wise if it doesn't hurt you haven't gone after a talented enough pitcher.

The pen needs 2 more setup+ level nasty guys, at least 1 needs to be a vet.It also needs a nasty loogy.The disparity vs the NY pen the last 2 playoff trips has been the biggest factor in getting dominated.

The offense feasted on weak teams and it showed a lack of discipline/ approach when really challenged.Can't expect to win on a pitchers mistakes when you don't force them to make the mistakes.

I love Rocco as a manager and have faith he can be the guy but being down 0-2 and having not used one of your 2 best starters and 2 of your best relievers is pretty damning.  

• LaBombo and SoDakTwinsFan4 like this

#50 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• 8,345 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:57 PM

In the 2-2-1 LDS playoff format era, when the road team starts the series 0-2 they've come back to win it in 10% of those series.

A 10 percent generic series win probability for this Twins team after these two particular losses seems to overestimate their chances by a factor of roughly infinity.

Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration; there's always a chance of a flu outbreak or mass food poisoning up and down the Yankees roster.

It's been a fun, successful, memorable Twins season... and their failed postseason won't change that.

But it's hard to have a roster and manager be endlessly talked up as being unaffected by past Twins vs. Yanks futility and then watch them raise the bar for it.

And ownership needs to acknowledge the fact that they bear a large share of the responsibility for, among other things, a middling prospect with five major league starts totaling 19 innings being tasked with reversing a decade of playoff futility and another decade of just plain baseball futility.

Edited by LaBombo, 05 October 2019 - 11:39 PM.

#51 launchingthrees

launchingthrees

• 207 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:35 PM

Fire the manager until we get a playoff manager who actually reads scouting reports.Baldelli, thus far, is as incompetent as Gardenhire was.Solid in the regular season, then his brains turn into water for the playoffs.How do you not play healthy guys, fail to scout the other team's pitching, fail to scout the other team's hitting, and fail to show up prepared to play?In the civilian world Baldelli would be fired.

At least when Molitor and Kelly were around the teams showed up to play, regardless of the talent level.

Well if we do this he'll have the job of his choice because he's a major asset.

• Bill Tanner likes this

#52 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• 964 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:44 PM

The home runs and big offensive displays were fun this year, and the players are certainly likeable. But we all knew this pitching staff was threadbare and too much of the team got by and smoke and mirrors and matchups. Unfortunately those favorable matchups disappear in the playoffs and now it’s just an embarrassing massacre. They need to replace 2/3 of the pitching next year get an adequate backup for Buxton.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 05 October 2019 - 11:47 PM.

• dgwills, Platoon and D.C Twins like this

#53 ParisO

ParisO

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:48 PM

Lying down in the playoffs embarrasses the team by proving they dont belong there and us as fans for ever thinking they did. Either the team is average at best or they quit. There is no third option. We all know the Yankees are not as good as the Twins have made them appear to be.
  • mdonaghue likes this

#54 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:01 AM

Lying down in the playoffs embarrasses the team by proving they dont belong there and us as fans for ever thinking they did. Either the team is average at best or they quit. There is no third option. We all know the Yankees are not as good as the Twins have made them appear to be.

If the Yankees aren't as good as the Twins have made them appear to be than what does that make the Twins? 

#55 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 256 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:27 AM

I was listening to Baseball tonite after work and the Yankees can be so proud of their fans chanting Uber at Randy Dobnak. Kinda like someone still calling you Fat A$$ after you lost 100 lbs. This is why I want another team to get a chance to win. I hope everyone of those jerks lose their jobs.....
  • dgwills likes this

#56 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 68 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:39 AM

What still shocks me, is that they didn't play Kepler before the playoffs, they rolled the dice on Arraez ankle, they completely out-smarted themselves by saving their second best starter and 2 of 3 best relievers for elimination game. They also have had opportunities to pull pitchers before the 'wheels flew off', and waited one batter too long (Gibson, Duffey, Stashak). We should be disappointed with our hitters swinging at **** pitches on 3rd strike from Pax and Tanaka - Pax's bounced in front of the plate, but plate discipline has never been a strength (we should have scouted better and given all our K-victims take signals). Our ridiculous number of walks is mind-boggling against a team of free-swingers (which the Yankees are), and shows a gutless approach to challenging hitters. That is the game in a nutshell.

#57 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

Dobnak and the rest of the guys can say that they didn't have nerves these last 2 games, but I don't believe them in the slightest. Especially the guys that haven't been in a postseason atmosphere before. I 100% believe this is psychological, and the Twins just don't have enough guys on their roster that are mentally tough enough to deal with the pressure right now in order to win. Twins NEED to bring in at least 1 starter and a couple more relievers in the offseason that have had big time postseason pressure put on them before. 

• tarheeltwinsfan and Platoon like this

#58 JadenPoint

JadenPoint

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:16 AM

The Yankees had very good advanced scouting and executed a plan accordingly for game 1. Twins coaching staff/hitters made no adjustments for game 2 and made it easy on their pitchers. Yankees approach seemed simple.. fastball up or off the plate, breaking ball over for strikes, and of course the slider/splitter in the dirt, which somehow the Twins are thinking is a hittable pitch this post season.
  • birdwatcher and D.C Twins like this

#59 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:32 AM

This is confirmed.Yankee Stadium smells like the armpit of the older brother who never let you win.

Bravo!

#60 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,812 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:07 AM

I guess you would rather have seen Lamonte Wade than Kepler. Sometimes the decisions you have to make aren't good ones.

• SQUIRREL, brvama, dgwills and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: randy dobnak, tyler duffey, eddie rosario