Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Playoff Game Thread: Twins @ Yankees 4:07 PM CT, 10/5/19

twins yankees playoff game thread twins beat the yankees
  • Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,523 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

The difference is that the Yankees got us to bite on their nibbles in several key spots, while their hitters refused to bite.

Are people surprised Rosario and Cron setting like that? I'm not.
  • mike2202 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:36 AM

I figure Cron will be gone after the year and I'm sure people will hit me hard for this but I am hoping that Rosario is traded for some good pitching in the offseason. We can afford to give some hitting to improve the pitching staff. I was very disappointed in Rosario's first two at bats last night. At some point, you've got to learn as a major league hitter. 

• Bomba2026 likes this

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,822 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:39 AM

MLB says dobnak is starting... hoping he continues to have ice in his veins. 

• glunn, Sconnie and wabene like this

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,523 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

4-3 Yankees in fourteen long innings....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#25 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 755 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:05 AM

Schoop must be in the doghouse. Rocco sits him in favor of a less than full speed Luis against a lefty. Then today, he sits Schoop again against Tanaka, who Schoop hits better than anyone on the team. I guess you can forget playing for the Twins again Mr. Schoop. 

Rosie looked confused last night and too tentative. Notlike him.Cron just sucked. Horrible.A little leaguer can backhand a throw at ankle level only three feet away from the bag. Garver ... nothing. Keps is out of sync. 

As for the bull pen use, it looked like Rocco conceded the game when it was still winable and left good relievers on the bench in favor of our second string 

Memo to Rocco, you win thegame you are in. 

Edited by Kelly Vance, 05 October 2019 - 11:07 AM.

• Bomba2026 likes this

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,103 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Of course not.
I was simply pointing out that "their pitchers nibbled too" isn't a great retort.
Nibbling works against our hitters. Everyone knows that doesn't work against the Yankees.

#27 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,109 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

Stephon Diggs should take note of the class displayed by Schoop all year. Had to have been hard to watch Arraez hobble after that little flare. Then the weak turn later. 

• ashbury, Kelly Vance and Bomba2026 like this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,103 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

8 Kepler
6 Polanco
DH Cruz
9 Rosario
2 Garver
4 Arraez
5 Sano
3 Gonzalez
7 Cave
  • Sconnie, bighat, mrtwinsfan and 1 other like this

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,634 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

Stay cool Dobby!

84E1A2F3-3376-43E8-8768-BA06DCB97AE8.gif
  • glunn, Hosken Bombo Disco and wabene like this

#30 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,815 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

Twins hitters have to do a better job of looking for and hitting their pitch in hitters counts. Of course getting to hitters counts requires some patience, something they lost after the 3rd inning and as a result fell behind too often. Their first pitch approach was pretty awful, especially in the later innings, swinging mostly at pitchers pitches. The Yankees outplayed them working counts and getting their pitches to hit, which against the Twins pitchers is a recipe for success. 

I lost count how many times Twins pitchers were up 0-2 or 1-2 and wouldn't even come close to the strike zone the next 3 pitches. Repeatedly throwing useless breaking pitches up in the count isn't always the best strategy and clearly not against the Yankees. I thought Duffy did the best job, he's not afraid to move his fastball around and keep it on the edges of the zone in and out, up and down. It keeps pressure on the hitters. Berrios started to come around but got screwed by the ump more than a few times, as did Duffy at least once. 

Questionable player usage, too many walks and the poor Arraez throw/Cron scoop cost them the game. Those things are correctable but Rocco needs to put them in a better position and the players asked to perform, need to perform.Expect Rosario to perform better against the righty, he was dreadful last night against Paxton. I think Kepler will come up big tonight as well. 

• glunn and Don Walcott like this

#31 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,109 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:48 AM

Stay cool Dobby!
attachicon.gif84E1A2F3-3376-43E8-8768-BA06DCB97AE8.gif

He should sport those Champaign goggles!
  • Sconnie likes this

#32 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 304 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

Lineup looks better, but I would have played Schoop today instead of Arraez....But MLB and the idiot people on the sports shows and I'm sure those Horrible announcers just cant believe Dobnick is pitching. He's an Uber Driver!...I guess if he ends up in the World Series the people he carted around will have a story. He never looks nervous. I think he will be a good Starter next year. I hope he pitches a complete game shutout and we win 15 to zip! Costas better have a big bad of Depends today!
  • Don Walcott and wabene like this

#33 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 533 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

"I'm in Dallas, Texas for a few days and had to watch the game in a bar last night. There were a few Yankee fans around but most of the people in the bar were cheering for the Twins. I'd say there was more interest in the Twins/Yankees game than in the Astros game...A lot of people are cheering for the Twins!"

I'm thinking those Texans were more likely cheering "against" the Yankees more so than cheering "for" the Twins. But that's okay. I do the same whether the Yankees are playing the Twins or any other baseball team.

#34 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,739 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

Baldelli said after the game that he'll probably have to use some of his eighth and ninth inning guys earlier tomorrow if needed. "We don't generally commit to anything early, but I think there's a chance that we end up running some of our guys that have pitched very late in the game. We could run them out there, probably still reasonably late in the game, but maybe push them up a little bit. Again, with the five innings we're going to cover out of the bullpen tonight, we could have seen -- we could have ended up seeing something like that. So that is definitely possible." interview with Lavelle--- Little to late Rocco, watch how Yanks did it, Every game we play with the yankees - look backat how importantthe middle innings are in a tie game , we used our#6 bullpen guy 1st, Duffey was the right move right away when Littell realized its not the tigers and royals, Then Stashek - That shocked me!!

• Don Walcott and bighat like this

#35 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,739 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

Hope we see at least 2 more Game Threads,After today- Split today 1-1 and alls forgotten.Most important game of the Year ???? to me Yes -- Go Twins

Edited by mrtwinsfan, 05 October 2019 - 12:32 PM.

• bighat likes this

#36 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,476 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

That means you have time to watch the last two or three innings.....

Edit, I see chief was somehow up early today....

He has to be. Got to get that Early Bird Special at Cracker Barrel, after all. 

• tvagle and wabene like this

#37 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

Lineup looks better, but I would have played Schoop today instead of Arraez....But MLB and the idiot people on the sports shows and I'm sure those Horrible announcers just cant believe Dobnick is pitching. He's an Uber Driver!...I guess if he ends up in the World Series the people he carted around will have a story. He never looks nervous. I think he will be a good Starter next year. I hope he pitches a complete game shutout and we win 15 to zip! Costas better have a big bad of Depends today!

A handful of AB's against Tanaka shouldn't be taken over what Arraez has done against right handed pitching all year long.Give the kid a chance to atone for the mistakes he made yesterday.

• wabene likes this

#38 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,865 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

I'm still demoralized by last night. The twins are the bullied kid that just hands over lunch money to the bully like an allowance.

I really hope the twins can right the ship against ny... I'm so sick of hearing about how great the Yankees are. The post game made you believe the twins didn't even deserve to be here.
  • Longdistancetwins, Hosken Bombo Disco, bighat and 1 other like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#39 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,280 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

I was against starting Arraez yesterday. And considering the workout his ankle got, I wouldn't be surprised if it's stiffened up on him today. Just a very bad decision to start Arraez over Schoop yesterday, when Arraez could have had another day of rest to be fresh for today's game. And if we make a couple of those plays in the field, we maintain the lead, and then we use our best relievers to hold a lead.

Okay. That's in the past. I'm over it, and I won't speak of it again (at least for a while).

I'm surprised Garver is in the lineup today, given the usage over the course of the season. But I'm happy with it. However, considering how he looked at the plate yesterday, and that MIguel hit a HR yesterday, and has generally looked good at the plate for quite some time, I'm surprised Sano was moved out of the 5-hole. I'm also surprised that Arraez was moved up and Gonzalez moved down in the lineup. These two swaps make no sense to me. However, I do like the lineup overall against Tanaka today. Polanco and Cruz look locked in. Now everyone else needs to follow their example, and step it up.

I'm hoping for 4 good innings from Dobnak. Any more will be a bonus. And we definitely need to see May, Romo and Rogers today. And I hope we see DufMan and the Brusdar again today. Brusdar absolutely blew the Yankees away. Couldn't believe that Costas and Smoltz were hardly paying attention while he was throwing up 100, 100, 101, 100, 101, etc. The inning was over so fast, they hardly had time to divert themselves from whatever meaningless conversation they were having to see the Brusdar deal.

Finally, let's focus on defense. Although Arraez didn't make a good throw, there's absolutely no excuse for Cron missing that catch at 1st. Just a lack of concentration, and that's inexcusable at this time of year. Sano looked pretty locked in, and made a few great plays, including the one that saved a run after it was reviewed. With Cave in the outfield and Marwin at 1st, I think we'll defend better today.

Let's go, boys!!

• glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#40 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,035 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:08 PM

Not going to call out anyone in particular, but I also had the sense at times some guys were tight and seemed to be trying too hard for the big hit or big moment. I'd like to think a game under their belt will help them relax today.

I won't go so far to say the Yankees over used their bullpen...heck, they won right?...but it sure seemed like they had quick hooks and ran through almost everyone. Does that help the Twins today?
  • bighat and wabene like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, yankees, playoff game thread, twins beat the yankees