Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Shaun Marcum could be a fit for the Twins

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...t-for-the-Twins

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

I *heart* Parker.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

This reminds me of your analysis of Willingham last year. Marcum is a pitcher who might fit very well in this ballpark and somehow will be fairly cheap.

Am I to believe that the Twins could baseline Baker and Marcum for a combined amount under $10 million for one year!? Let roll the damn incentives up to $20 million! If they perform great, $20 million would be worth it. If not,$10 or so is not killing the team for one year.

#4 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

According to Ryan, you aren't getting a pitcher unless it's a multi-year deal. Would Marcum be an exception to that?

#5 JP3700

JP3700

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

I would be happy with anything between 1-3 years for Marcum. Obviously 1 is low risk for the ball club, but 2-3 would control his cost in case he stays healthy and outperforms his contract like Willingham did this year.

#6 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Marcum will not save the Twins, he is nottin more than what we got.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Marcum will not save the Twins, he is nottin more than what we got.

True. Marcum does have two arms, two legs, and is capable of throwing a baseball from a mound.

Past that, there aren't many similarities between him and the crap the Twins rolled out in the #2-5 spots in the rotation.

#8 Kyle Lobner

Kyle Lobner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

FYI - It's Shaun, not Shawn.

#9 Ex-Iowegian

Ex-Iowegian

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

So maybe a Pavano lookalike (when at his best - think 2010) or a touch better, if only because of some consistency. Not a true number 1, but mid to top of the rotation guy. 60% wins, 3.7+/- era and 200 innings. That would be better than almost all of what was run out there last year.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

According to Ryan, you aren't getting a pitcher unless it's a multi-year deal. Would Marcum be an exception to that?

I'd give a guy like Marcum two years with a team option for the third.

#11 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Did I hear Bruce Chen?

Maybe the Twins could work out a trade with the Royals for Chen. He's only under contract through 2013 for 4.5 million.

#12 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

He's not my top choice by any means. Fastball velocity could get even more scary as he ages.

#13 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

If Marcum is one of 2-3 solid additions to the rotation, I'd be OK with that. If he's THE new top man of the Twins 2013 rotation, not so OK with it.

#14 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think Marcum is gonna have 5-10 teams chasing him as a 1-2 yr cheap option & that will drive up his price to 3yrs & put him 'just' out of the Twins range (which they seem to do often)

#15 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Marcum would be a great addition. He'd be the best pitcher we've signed in FA since Kenny Rogers.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Marcum would be a nice addition. If there's competition for him, the Twins are unlikely to get him, however.
Something tells me he gets away.

#17 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

There's bound to be competition for pretty much anyone of value, which means you may have to roll the dice and go a little high for someone. I'd like to have Marcum, but I'm not sure he'd be the guy I would overspend for.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#18 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Seriously, don't the Twins have a half dozen Marcums in the organization already? There seems to be no need to commit years to a pitcher that doesn't represent a meaningful change for the future? It's better to commit to one excellent pitcher than two "decent" veterans.

#19 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Seriously, don't the Twins have a half dozen Marcums in the organization already? There seems to be no need to commit years to a pitcher that doesn't represent a meaningful change for the future? It's better to commit to one excellent pitcher than two "decent" veterans.

It's clear that you have no idea how good marcum is. The Twins have ZERO pitchers as good as Marcum. the concern is that he'll be injured and not pitch at all.

ERA's the last five years
TJ

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Yeah I've always been a big fan of Marcum. I'd be content with him as the best addition to this staff, primarily because I think he may be the best pitcher available this offseason if he stays healthy. Yes, that means I think he may be better than Grienke if he can stay on the mound.

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,932 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Lot of talk about it being a thin market for pitching... That may be true but it doesn't matter because nearly every FA pitcher is better than what we currently have for the two slot.

Marcum would be a solid signing.

#22 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Marcum, Baker, and a close to ready prospect return for someone (probably Span) and it would be a nice TR money saving overhaul of the starting staff and there would still be money to spend on an infielder or 2.

#23 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:27 AM

What infielder? Go get pitching. Spend some money and personnel.

#24 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't mind giving Marcum 3-4 years. Think he's a solid #2.

#25 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Parker, you made a good case for Marcum, but you omitted the last sentence of the interview with him...

"The Kansas City, Mo., native added that he has no preference with the geographic location of a franchise or if it's an American League or National League squad, but wherever he ends up signing, he wants there to be a realistic chance at making the playoffs."

Which pretty much rules out the Twins. On the other hand, rationalization can be a powerful force when fueled by greed.

But if Marcum rules out the Twins for being non-competitors in 2013, we'll have another high water mark of Twins futility, since Marcum apparently sees an 89 loss team that's gone 20 years without a postseason appearance as having a better shot at the playoffs.

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Marcum would be a great addition for the twins. Hope they can do it. He is #1 on my list of affordable pitchers and I believe will give the Twins better than what they have now

#27 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

makes to much sence...

#28 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

what would it take to get ian kennedy from arizon? supposedly they are thinking of moving him and an outfielder,add in shields and we have the makings of a pretty good staff

#29 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

[quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='Top Gun']Marcum will not save the Twins, he is nottin more than what we got.[/QUOTE]

True. Marcum does have two arms, two legs, and is capable of throwing a baseball from a mound.

Past that, there aren't many similarities between him and the crap the Twins rolled out in the #2-5 spots in the rotation.[/only in 1 of his 7 year career, has he pitched more then 200 innings,
he also has had elbow problems this past season .....

the pitcher we need is annibal sanchez and maybe adding chavez at 3b if we end up trading willingham or morneau

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

If Marcum is one of 2-3 solid additions to the rotation, I'd be OK with that. If he's THE new top man of the Twins 2013 rotation, not so OK with it.

+1

These days Marcum might be a good #3-4 pitcher. Had only one season in the AL with an xFIP under 4. This is Diamond territory.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98