Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins ALDS Game 1 Recap: Bad Defense, Questionable Management Leads to Loss

jose berrios jorge polanco miguel sano neslon cruz cody stashak
  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#21 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:32 PM

Berrios wasn't locating his pitches and was out early. I'm not sure what is controversial about that.

We could dispute whether Berrios should have had a chance in the 5th to show if he learned anything.You may be right that he didn't, and you are certainly right that his second time through the order was a big contributing factor to the loss.

The list of homework items for Mr. Baldelli, his staff and his bosses is found in comment #4.Hope they review it carefully. 

8^p

Edited by VivaBomboRivera!, 04 October 2019 - 10:35 PM.

#22 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,611 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:36 PM

Cron catches the throw to first. Sano catches the hot shot to third by Torres that bounced off his glove and turns a double play..... big game changers. 

• Han Joelo, brvama and wabene like this

#23 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 396 posts

I think the counting of consecutive losses is silly. Now if this was the same team that lost all those games, it would be worth mentioning but for most of the players on this team, they have only lost 1 or 2 straight playoff games, going back to 2017. 

• brvama, stringer bell and JDubs like this

#24 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 132 posts

The Twins pitching just looked over matched in this game, its disheartening to be at deja vu.When was the last good playoff performance from a Twins starter? Santana? 

The Yankees are not that much better a team but their players are calm and ready for the moment because they have been there before, they thrive by abusing the other teams inexpierence.This staff needs some arms that have already handled the pressure. 

Berrios didn't have his curve so I had no problem with him getting pulled.Going Littel/ Stashak/ Duffey with all of zero playoff innings between them was not a smart move. 

I am really not sold on this pen, everyone keeps citing the 2nd half numbers but I think that is a lot of small sample size mixed with playing some bad teams well into their tank. 

Rodgers is legit, albeit not playoff seasoned, and Romo is a well seasoned vet in his twilight run but outside of that I don't really trust any of them vs NY in the playoffs.Gibson and Stashak should be no where near this roster, Littel and Smeltzer are mop up guys, May and Duffey are middle to 7th inning guys with little to no playoff xp, Graterol throws 100 and has potential but has zero mlb xp.

Dobnak better bring his good **** tomorrow because the series is hanging on him eating some innings which is another major issue.He has been great for the couple months hes been up and may well step up, but the Twins year is hanging largely on a former non prospect who started the year in A ball and has 28 innings of Mlb experience.Any game they win in this post season is seems like they will need to hope to get 2 innings out of Rodgers and 1 out of Romo.

• tarheeltwinsfan, 3balls2strikes and SoDakTwinsFan4 like this

#25 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,573 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:40 PM

Cron catches the throw to first. Sano catches the hot shot to third by Torres that bounced off his glove and turns a double play..... big game changers. 

Rocco was still going to use the pitchers that he did even if the things you said did happen. Stashak would've still given up those HRs and Gibson would've still been Gibson.

#26 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,495 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:42 PM

The Twins chances are based on getting big leads early...which by definition means a starter going at least 5 innings in a somewhat effective manner. Our best starter didn’t really come close to doing that. That’s probably the most disappointing thing to me in a disappointing game.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#27 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 386 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:42 PM

Putting Stashak on the mound in a 1 run game was a massive mistake with an outcome that was not hard to predict. Following up Gibson all but guaranteed the loss.Baldelli's post season management resume is not off to a promising start.

• Jerr, Wizard11, Dave The Dastardly and 2 others like this

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,611 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

Rocco was still going to use the pitchers that he did even if the things you said did happen. Stashak would've still given up those HRs and Gibson would've still been Gibson.

You think if the score is tied in the bottom of the 6th that Rocco goes with Stashak? I don't. I think if you could have gotten a clean inning out of Littell, Duffey would have gotten the 6th, and we see Romo and Rogers. Regardless, those plays were run scoring game changers. But the good news is..... we have a rested Rogers and Romo and May if we get to those innings with a lead.

Berrios had a good 4th. 12 pitch. 1-2-3. Pitch count at 88. I would have brought him out for the 5th with the game now tied, with a short leash.

Edited by h2oface, 04 October 2019 - 11:26 PM.

• Jerr, brvama, Kelly Vance and 5 others like this

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,611 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

I think the counting of consecutive losses is silly. Now if this was the same team that lost all those games, it would be worth mentioning but for most of the players on this team, they have only lost 1 or 2 straight playoff games, going back to 2017. 

The only way to stop it......... is to win some playoff games. It won't stop until then. And hey, it is pretty remarkable. 14 and counting.

• wabene and VivaBomboRivera! like this

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,646 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:58 PM

I just tuned in to a rerun of the previous years Twins/Yankees series - how did they get the names changed on the back of the shirts?

Gibson pitches in Yankee stadiumThat sure settled down the team.I believe we can come back down 3 - down 6 is discouraging.This is one of those what the Hell games.Our Ace is Berrios - an Ace is given a chance to win the game - 4 innings?What the Hell.Then we turn to a Rookie and then we turn to a Veteran who has no chance.What the Hell?

Is Cron really better than Astudillo?What the Hell was he doing with his glove - does he know he is supposed to catch the throw from Second base?

I know - tomorrow is still 0 - 0.But please no more replays from series past. 

• Jerr, Kelly Vance and 3balls2strikes like this

#31 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:02 PM

Here's me, buzzed and exhausted, blabbing about this loss.

• Brock Beauchamp, ashbury, denarded and 5 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#32 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:23 PM

Then that team should be called "Twinkies" and they should just go home right now.But they're not, they are a professional ball club with people who know how to win and have the ability to do so.Winning begins with thinking about how to solve the problem.Perhaps we will see them do this tomorrow.

• denarded and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:25 PM

Cron definitely should have made his play. Sano's play was way harder. That's a double almost every time regardless of who's playing 3B, except maybe with Arenado.

• SQUIRREL, h2oface, Kelly Vance and 5 others like this

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:26 PM

Correct... 2017 has nothing to do with 2019 has nothing to do with 2004 or 2010... 

• wsnydes likes this

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

Putting Stashak on the mound in a 1 run game was a massive mistake with an outcome that was not hard to predict. Following up Gibson all but guaranteed the loss.Baldelli's post season management resume is not off to a promising start.

I can understand questioning the Gibson decision. I had no problem with going to LIttell or Stashak. Hey, if they're on the roster, they need to be able to get outs. Littell just didn't, at all. He just didn't have it, and Rocco got him out quick. Duffey threw in a walk and the big double too, so you never know what happens if he just started that inning. And, Littell had given up one ER over his last 16 MLB outings (19 IP)... and some were against Cleveland and Washington and Boston, not just Detroit and Kansas City. 

Stashak's been really good too. Not tonight, but he's earned the opportunities. 

I don't get the Gibson decision, and he was obviously kept in too long after three walks, but I had no problem with the other two decisions. 

I mean, hey, they could have brought Romo in and he would have struck out the side, or hung a couple of sliders. No way to know. May could strike out the side, or serve up a few runs. You never know. 

• SQUIRREL, Han Joelo, brvama and 6 others like this

#36 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,611 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:31 PM

Cron definitely should have made his play. Sano's play was way harder. That's a double almost every time regardless of who's playing 3B, except maybe with Arenado.

It hit his glove. I saw Justin Turner make that play tonight (or was it yesterday). So add him to Arenado. I have seen lots of players make that play. I still remember my little league coach.... if it hits your glove, you should catch it. It was still a play that could have been made. Was it harder? Yes. Did it hit his glove? Yes. Are heroes made in the post season, with plays like that? Yes.

• 3balls2strikes likes this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,701 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:32 PM

Is Cron really better than Astudillo?What the Hell was he doing with his glove - does he know he is supposed to catch the throw from Second base?

Ummmm. absolutely Cron is better than Astudillo... No question about that. 

• SQUIRREL, Twins33, adorduan and 5 others like this

#38 Vagnavs

Vagnavs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 115 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:34 PM

Littell isn't that good. Look at his minor-league numbers. About 4 ERA over double and triple A. Stashak had a bad night and Gibson isn't very good starting or in the bullpen.

#39 SoDakTwinsFan4

SoDakTwinsFan4

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:12 AM

Baldelli seems like a nice guy, and I like him. But he is now on my "Joe Maddon List"; Nice guy but very questionable, almost self-sabotaging decisions in the post season
  • 3balls2strikes likes this

#40 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,373 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:14 AM

Aaraez failure to cover second base taking away double play chance and allowing Encarcion to take second was huge play in inning that ended up 3 to 2. That and Cron display at first. Go with the ones that got you to thid dance. Kepler CF1. Polanco SS 2. Cruz DH 3. Rosario LF 4. Sano 3B 5. Gonzalez 1B 6. Garver C. 7 Cave RF 8. Aaraez 2B. 9th. That is the lineup they should roll with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jorge polanco, miguel sano, neslon cruz, cody stashak