Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Playoff Game Thread: Twins @ New York 6:07 PM CDT 10/4/2019

twins game thread yankees hawt taeks
  • Please log in to reply
1351 replies to this topic

#41 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

The NY Post is going to find themselves with crow for dinner instead.

If we win this ... I would really like to see a paper in the TC do a parody on that cover and do just that. :)

'NY POST HAVING CROW FOR DINNER!' or some such

• USAFChief, Blake, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#42 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,956 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

Everyone who thought in April that Dobnak, Stashak, Smeltzer, Graterol, and Littell would be on the roster for a playoff series against the Yankees (or anyone else for that matter) say, "Aye".

Ayeeeeee No. Just kidding!
  • Blake likes this

#43 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,956 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:41 AM

If we win this ... I would really like to see a paper in the TC do a parody on that cover and do just that. :)

'NY POST HAVING CROW FOR DINNER!' or some such

Nah, cooked squirrel is much better than crow!
  • Blake, operation mindcrime and Bomba2026 like this

#44 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,238 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

scooter_1570197493_nypost.jpg

Hate to admit it, but that's pretty good.

They're gonna need a big Twinkie.

• SQUIRREL, Blake and operation mindcrime like this

#45 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

Why in the world would you want to cook the rally squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ashbury, Blake, operation mindcrime and 1 other like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#46 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,686 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:53 AM

From everybody's favorite Christmas film...

“Roy?” says Al, “Roy, are you alright?”

“Just tried to fire down a thousand-year-old Twinkie,” says McClane, grinning. He spits out the remains of the Twinkie. “What do they put in these things, anyway?”

“Sugar enriched flour,” says Al, “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, polysorbate-60, and Yellow Dye Number Five. Just everything a growing boy needs.”

"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#47 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

I want to see them get on the board 1st.Give Jose a little room to breathe and work his stuff.I hope they come in relaxed.They have faced adversity time and time and time again all season long and think they should be well prepared for this one.]

There isn't much postseason experience or success looking up and down this Yankee roster.It's not a team loaded with Hall of Fame players from the teams that whipped the Twins 10-15 years ago. 

Go get um boys!

• SQUIRREL likes this

#48 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,746 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:06 AM

Twinkies For Dinner was on the menu frequently back in my bachelor days!

maxresdefault.jpg

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#49 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,746 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

Why in the world would you want to cook the rally squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3cduct.jpg

• Blake, Vanimal46 and operation mindcrime like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#50 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

A couple points on my reasoning: nobody is in danger of pitching more than two consecutive days so the 11th and 12th pitchers to me are redundant. The key bullpen guys can literally pitch in every game with all the off-days during the postseason.

If Castro is starting, Astudillo gives Rocco peace of mind to pinch hit Garver for him.

If we have a runner on third with one out against Chapman, I trust Astudillo to make contact far more than anyone else on this roster. It might not be hard hit but anything can happen if you just put the ball in play.

Who are you going to pitch if it's 7-7 after 2 innings and Berrios is out of the game?You need to have a couple long men just in case.Or if Game 1 goes to 17 innings.

Which player on the roster would you pinch hit Astudillo for in the 9th inning of a playoff game? 

#51 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,956 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

This is an exciting day for all Twins fans! Been a long time coming... I still remember this board was a kid on Christmas morning after the top of the 1st last time in the postseason... Unfortunately that childlike excitement was lost quickly when Erv broke down.

Let's get a win Twins!
  • SQUIRREL, Blake and bighat like this

#52 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

Squirrel's are friends, not food

• SQUIRREL likes this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#53 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:35 AM

I am not very productive at work in general. Let's call me "efficient". But I am not even close with all this excitement.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#54 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 719 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:46 AM

scooter_1570197493_nypost.jpg

Hate to admit it, but that's pretty good.

However Twinkies will kill you so there's that

• SQUIRREL, diehardtwinsfan, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#55 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,068 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

Who are you going to pitch if it's 7-7 after 2 innings and Berrios is out of the game?You need to have a couple long men just in case.Or if Game 1 goes to 17 innings.

Which player on the roster would you pinch hit Astudillo for in the 9th inning of a playoff game? 

Considering all the off days, you could legitimately go to any of the other ten pitchers on the roster. Our long men are not good pitchers so they would be lucky to last two innings without giving up a boatload of runs. Graterol, Smeltzer, Stashak, and Littell are all more than capable of going multiple innings out of the pen.

I would pinch hit Astudillo over Castro (any time), Cave, Cron, Schoop, Adrianza (certain times such as the aforementioned scenario where we need the ball put in play).

• Blake and Madisonsdad like this

#56 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,945 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:12 AM

However Twinkies will kill you so there's that

And even quicker if they're fried.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury and bighat like this

#57 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

Considering all the off days, you could legitimately go to any of the other ten pitchers on the roster. Our long men are not good pitchers so they would be lucky to last two innings without giving up a boatload of runs. Graterol, Smeltzer, Stashak, and Littell are all more than capable of going multiple innings out of the pen.

I would pinch hit Astudillo over Castro (any time), Cave, Cron, Schoop, Adrianza (certain times such as the aforementioned scenario where we need the ball put in play).

Realistically when are Cave, Adrianza going to be in the game?If Schoop is playing that means a left handed starter was on the mound, which means Arraez is probably on the bench, and if Castro is in playing that means you have Garver on the bench as well.Arraez and Garver would get pinch hit opportunities in my book before Astudillo.That leaves Cron.  

I guess I would rather have the emergency 12th pitcher on the roster in case of an unforseeable situation than possibly have 1 possibility where Astudillo would get an AB.....especially considering 2 of our starters probably will go 6 innings an absolute max.

#58 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,348 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:06 PM

Squirrel's are friends, not food

1035360_orig.jpg

Granny disagrees.

"fine vittles, they is!"

• glunn, Blake and Bomba2026 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#59 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

Verlander just walked the 1st hitter,seems like everygame so far the pitchershave opened up a bit shaky-Trend- Nerves ???Jose if ever you want to be right lets hope its Tonight, Gotta be pitching up and in alot for strikes,Then use the outer plate, if they sit on his Slurve ball and its in the middle -We in Trouble, And im sure they r gonna make him throw strikes,Gotta pitch from AHEAD in the count

Edited by mrtwinsfan, 04 October 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#60 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:21 PM

Wowsome good staffs, - Glasnow- Snell- Morton, - then Verlander Cole and Greinke, all 6 of them could be our # 1 or close to it, Bombas Needed Boys, Mucho amounts needed. Go Twins

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, game thread, yankees, hawt taeks