Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Playoff Game Thread: Twins @ New York 6:07 PM CDT 10/4/2019

twins game thread yankees hawt taeks
  • Please log in to reply
1351 replies to this topic

#21 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,068 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Roster is up, no Perez or Wade. All the injured guys are on. 

Bullpenning or no bullpenning, it's still insane to carry 12 pitchers for a postseason series.

Astudillo has his obvious faults, but I still think he is far more valuable than at least two of the pitchers being carried (not naming names).

• denarded, Blake, NapoleonComplex and 2 others like this

#22 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,239 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:41 AM

By the way, it was a tough week of not commenting, as I wanted the game thread to be post 7001.

Yeah, I'm odd that way.

But, that's probably been obvious for a while. 

:)

Don't sell yourself short. You're odd in so very many ways. But aren't we all (at least on this Thread)?

• USAFChief and Blake like this

#23 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:43 AM

Don't sell yourself short. You're odd in so very many ways. But aren't we all (at least on this Thread)?

Uh,.... thanks?

:)

• gil4 and Don Walcott like this

#24 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

I’m pretty surprised Gibby made it over Perez, but I like the roster. Hopefully Kepler Adrianza and Gonzalez can shake off the rust quickly

Hmm, I'm not, not really. Sort of surprised Perez isn't on over someone else. But, they are going with 3 starters and a BP ... has Perez pitched out of the BP this year? (My memory is short.) Gibby has worked out of the BP. But ... man ... for an inning, I might have gone with Perez' left-handedness so that is surprising to me over another. Eh ... what do I know? Not much. Just going to go with it and hope for wins. :)

• Blake and Don Walcott like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#25 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:48 AM

Bullpenning or no bullpenning, it's still insane to carry 12 pitchers for a postseason series.

Astudillo has his obvious faults, but I still think he is far more valuable than at least two of the pitchers being carried (not naming names).

They don't have enough starters that go deep. Neither Odo nor Dobnak will go deep into games (and hoping Berrios will in saying that) ... or at least they haven't ... they are going to need the BP. If we still had healthy Gibby and non-suspended Pineda, the pitching roster would have looked very different. But as I said in my post above ... I don't really know much so am just going to go with it and wait and see.

And as long as we have Adrianza, Gonzalez and Arraez ... Astudillo is redundant. I think we will need the pitching more than a redundant position player.

• Blake, SwainZag, Sconnie and 3 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#26 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

Yankees went with 12 pitchers as well. Three starters and bp help.

• Blake likes this

#27 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,239 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

I'm a bit surprised Wade didn't make it. Not sure what else he could have done to earn a spot. I'll be happy if Ehire is healthy and productive, but would rather see Wade pinch-running than Ehire, it if comes to that.

I'm really happy for Smeltzer, but a surprised that he made it over Perez. Let's hope Devin can do as well against the Yanks as he did the last time.

• justinone likes this

#28 Blake

Blake

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

I was going to ask if inadvertently was the adverb you meant to use. But upon further consideration, yes, that is the most accurate adverb for the 2017 club's post season.

Great line.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

What a wild and fun year it's been.

#29 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,063 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

It's haaaaapppenninnnggggg.......

• Blake, Sconnie, Don Walcott and 1 other like this

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,874 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

Yankees went with 12 pitchers as well.

We all know the Yankees are insane.

• SQUIRREL, Blake and Don Walcott like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#31 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,063 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

I think we know who you mean.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#32 Blake

Blake

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:01 AM

Woohoo! Playoffs, baby! And this thread is THE spot to be at game time, :)

Wait, we're supposed to wait until game time to comment? 

• bighat likes this

#33 Blake

Blake

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:02 AM

We all know the Yankees are insane.

• Sconnie, Don Walcott and operation mindcrime like this

#34 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,024 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:03 AM

Wait, we're supposed to wait until game time to comment? 

Nope! This is THE THREAD of the day! :)

• Blake and operation mindcrime like this

#35 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,068 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:04 AM

They don't have enough starters that go deep. Neither Odo nor Dobnak will go deep into games (and hoping Berrios will in saying that) ... or at least they haven't ... they are going to need the BP. If we still had healthy Gibby and non-suspended Pineda, the pitching roster would have looked very different. But as I said in my post above ... I don't really know much so am just going to go with it and wait and see.

And as long as we have Adrianza, Gonzalez and Arraez ... Astudillo is redundant. I think we will need the pitching more than a redundant position player.

A couple points on my reasoning: nobody is in danger of pitching more than two consecutive days so the 11th and 12th pitchers to me are redundant. The key bullpen guys can literally pitch in every game with all the off-days during the postseason.

If Castro is starting, Astudillo gives Rocco peace of mind to pinch hit Garver for him.

If we have a runner on third with one out against Chapman, I trust Astudillo to make contact far more than anyone else on this roster. It might not be hard hit but anything can happen if you just put the ball in play.

• Blake and bighat like this

#36 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,063 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

Hmm, I'm not, not really. Sort of surprised Perez isn't on over someone else. But, they are going with 3 starters and a BP ... has Perez pitched out of the BP this year? (My memory is short.) Gibby has worked out of the BP. But ... man ... for an inning, I might have gone with Perez' left-handedness so that is surprising to me over another. Eh ... what do I know? Not much. Just going to go with it and hope for wins. :)

Perez pitched out of the bullpen in the very early season, I think maybe 1-2 times. He performed poorly in that role, though it was admittedly a very small sample size.

#37 Blake

Blake

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

I would imagine Smeltzer got the nod over Perez because Smeltzer has shown the ability to get out right handers, which I believe Perez has really struggled with.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,414 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:19 AM

scooter_1570197493_nypost.jpg

Hate to admit it, but that's pretty good.

• Blake, SwainZag, DocBauer and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,122 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:27 AM

I might think the roster may have been different had it been the Astros. If the last series against NY is any indication, pinch hitters were unnecessary and bullpen arms were at a premium.

• SQUIRREL, Blake and Don Walcott like this

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,122 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:28 AM

scooter_1570197493_nypost.jpg

Hate to admit it, but that's pretty good.

The NY Post is going to find themselves with crow for dinner instead.

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 5 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, game thread, yankees, hawt taeks