Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Gibson Wins 3rd Game in AFL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

On his 25th Birthday, Kyle Gibson wins. 3 IP; 2 BB; 3 K; 3 H; 0 R. His ERA now stands at 0.69. It's certainly encouraging. Not as good as previous 2 games, but at least no runs.

Edited by ScottyB, 23 October 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,051 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Anyone know the reason why he only pitched three innings?

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Well he had 57 pitches through three... He wasn't exactly dominant.

#4 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

Pretty good chance he is on a pitch count.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Gibson struggles through unscathed, good to see him battling through a little adversity without his best stuff, I'll take it every 3rd or 4th start. Let's see how he bounces back this weekend.

Of particular note, Nate Roberts reaches base 3 more times, officially going 1/2, gets another HBP and now has a ridiculous .1346 OPS. He also came through with another SB, his 4th in 6 games played (2nd only to Billy Hamilton's 6). I am wondering why Chris Hermann isn't getting more action, he has played well in his 3 games played. I understand that Zunino is on the must-play list, but Hermann's numbers indicate he deserves a little more playing time- at least as much as the other catcher or Evan Bigley's 6 games played.

#6 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Herrmann hurt his shoulder. Replaced by Dan Rohlfing.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I am not going to compare Gibson to Strasburg, but I do hope that if the Twins have an innings limit on Gibson next year that they don't do something stupid like shut him down early. It would be better to limit innings early in Rochester or something for awhile (Andrew Albers could be a good fill in in the 4th or 5th inning for every Gibson start, for instance), then do what the Nationals did, which was beyond any level of idiocy I have probably seen in my lifetime of baseball watching.

Note: I also don't mean to compare the Twins 2013 chances of playoff success with the 2012 Nats guaranteed playoff success if that organization wasn't idiotic, but still, there is enough of a similarity to make this point clear.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

Herrmann hurt his shoulder. Replaced by Dan Rohlfing.

I was wondering about that. Hopefully it is not serious. I am going to ease back on my Herrmann for the Twins on opening day thing because it is not realistic given complete mismanagement by Rantz and company. Rohlfing, by the way, will be interesting to watch in 2013. I don't think that he and Pinto really have a legitimate chance of playing in the big leagues, but with strong 2013 seasons, they would be worth a look.