Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Damage Control: Pitching is Minnesota's Primary Advantage in ALDS

jose berrios jake odorizzi taylor rogers trevor may tyler duffey
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 309 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

I don't think this series will be decided by the starters. I'll be surprised if any of them go beyond 5 innings...6 tops. While I like our pen, Chapman scares me the most. He is a k-pitcher when he's on. His 'weakness' that I've seen is his control. Rogers also has had some real ugly closes, so who knows?

The 'hero' in that ugly 14-12 loss was Hicks and he was most unlikely. That HR and that catch were truly outliers...and Hicks isn't playing now. Also Gregorius couldn't be retired, and he has since been very ordinary.

Amazing how new heros will crop up in post season. Who will that be?

As an aside, I wouldn't put Graterol on the roster for this series. Yankee hitters can time fastballs and right now Graterol doesn't have the location to go with his 100 mph pitches. I don't think he's ready for prime time.

Twins have an awesome lineup when all are healthy. Right now about half are really at near 100%. Lets hope that if Kepler and Gonzo are back, they can contribute. Lets hope Cron has finally re-found his stroke despite the thumb. And maybe Arreaz or Adrianza will be good to go...but neither of them will be in top shape.

I don't think the Twins have any advantage honestly. But I also don't think the field is tilted badly towards the Yankees either. What will bother me is what many here don't think is important....history. The fact that everyone outside of Minnesota wants the Yanks in the world series.Networks are praying the Twins don't win. All close calls will go to the Yankees...you can take that to the bank..whether anyone will admit it or not., Its like Tom Brady and the Pats...anyone think he doesn't get special treatment? Twins have to overcome this. It will hang over them like a dark cloud until they finally send the Yankees home....which I hope and pray happens this year.

#22 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 445 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

Dobnak has made 9 appearances and in 5 of those games he threw 3 or fewer innings. Two weeks ago was the first time he's thrown more than 4 innings in a game. Severino, even with a pitch count of 80, can give NY that kind of distance, so we're really talking about talent, and that easily favors NY.

I’m going to have to go with Nick on this one. I won’t deny that severino has talent, he does and (when healthy) has the makings of a quality arm. However, Dobnak has more talent and better “stuff” than many give him credit for. At most, this is a push and right now has the benefit of a full season and a hot hand under his belt.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,290 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

In regards to the RF play. Not true, at least, not if you're thinking right. There were two outs, bases loaded, down late in the game. Every single runner was off with the crack of the bat, as soon as that ball left the bat, two runners are scoring...period..end of discussion no one is going to get hosed at home. Best case scenario you get the ball into home plate right after the 2nd runner scores. He should have got in front of the ball, regardless of nasty spin on it and kept it in front of him and keep the game tied and live to see another batter, or possibly get the game to extras. That was a rookie way to approach a hit to the outfield with two outs. 

To avoid derailing this topic. I've created another discussion on this subject in the "Other Baseball" forum.

Feel free to take this debate over there.:)

• SQUIRREL and ashbury like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 denarded

denarded

• 120 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

Didn't we knock Severino out in 2/3 of an inning 2 years ago? I know it's apples to oranges, but this team is much more talented than that one. Not to be all hippity dippity, but what's going to happen is going to happen. I think this is the closest we've been to the Yankees talent wise. This team has shown resiliancy all year. I'm a homer. Yes. I believe we can beat them. Yes As stated above and what happened in the 8th of the NL Wildcard game last night: We need to be clean in the field, limit hanging misplaced balls, and get a little RISPY. I guess this is the formula for any team, but applies directly to us. Go Twins

Wikipedia is for suckers

#25 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 964 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:11 PM

Twins are a good team, and they've proved it.

So have the Yankees, against much stronger competition.

There is no advantage either way, except, I would agree, the Yankees will get all the close calls on balls and strikes. That's just the way this works.

The only thing that wins this for the Twins is they have to make plays, on defense, on swings, on the bases, in relief.

Literally, we have to outplay them, and we can, but will we?

That's why we watch the game.

#26 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

So, you're saying pitcher's duels....maybe not in this series.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#27 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

All the quirkiness of baseball is true. Especially if Phil Cuzzi has the left field line

THEY ANNOUNCED THE UMPS, NOCUZZIE- WEST OR hERNANDEZ

• SQUIRREL, Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#28 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:51 AM

For everyone worrying about Phil Cuzzi that ship has been avoided. As have the Angel Hernandez, Joe West, Laz Díaz, and Ramon de Jesus ships as well. Although Díaz behind the plate can be an advantage if you work him the right way. Link below lists the umpiring crew.

https://www.pinstrip...kees-alds-games

#29 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:55 AM

An article that breaks down the umpiring crew might be interesting. It looks like we have a crew that is entirely being in states west of the Mississippi except for Manny Gonzalez who was born in Venezuela. This includes a crew chief (Cederstrom) who is from North
Dakota and another umpire from Iowa.

#30 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:10 AM

I suppose Mississippi is actually east of the Mississippi

#31 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 309 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:15 AM

Everyone spouts the cliche that hitters will be stopped in post season because the pitching is so much better. Don't count on that in this series. I can envision a lot of very high scoring football scores because both staffs are very shaky. Using pitching regular season stats now don't paint accurate pictures because many of the pitchers that formed those stats either aren't playing or have had their problems second half. So they are pretty meaningless. If a player stunk for most the season but then caught fire in the final weeks...he becomes a real threat in post season.

Dobnak could be the ace of our staff in post season. Or, he could get lost in the moment and flame out early. Who knows? What I want from these guys, collectively, is for them to throw strikes. Once they start going deep into counts, by nibbling or trying to be too fine, bad things will happen.

#32 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,872 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:27 AM

I’m going to have to go with Nick on this one. I won’t deny that severino has talent, he does and (when healthy) has the makings of a quality arm. However, Dobnak has more talent and better “stuff” than many give him credit for. At most, this is a push and right now has the benefit of a full season and a hot hand under his belt.

Severino is a 2X AS and according to both him and his team he's healthy. That simply is a quality arm. I'm not sure how a guy with 28 career Major League innings can be that underrated but regardless of where you feel he his, it isn't anywhere near Severino; this isn't a push. 

• Mr. Brooks likes this

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,775 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

Honestly, I think rotation and pen are no worse than a push either way, regardless of how you tilt the table in comparison.

It does feel the Yankees have more of the "been there" and that can absolutely be a factor.

While we can't be sure how Berrios is going to perform, we know what he can do, has done before, and he has absolutely looked much better as of late.

I'm with Brock that my biggest concern is the offense limping in to this series. Even if close to 100%, how rusty are Kepler and Marwin? And is the ankle good enough for Arraez to be himself?
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#34 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

It's about stamina and length. Dobnak threw 135 (dominant) innings in the minors this year in addition to his 28 with MIN. Severino has literally thrown 13 innings all year, total, and he hasn't been stretched out past 80 pitches in an outing. 

About those 80 pitches: 5 innings, 3 hits, 9K, 0BB

I'm hoping Odorizzi has the 'stamina and length' to do that with 130 pitches.

#35 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

If you absolutely ignore Severino...which this article basically does, yes, the Twins might have an advantage in the starting pitching.

Severino first pitched in a competitive game back on Sept 1. Five weeks ago. I'm guessing he worked out once or twice beyond the game action he's seen. Can the Twins get to him? Of course. But, they'll have to deal with him and I'm sure he'll be ready to go as deep as any Twins pitcher (other than Berrios) has a reasonable chance of going.

#36 Amonahan

Amonahan

Elizabethton Twins

• 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

I like where the numbers put us in comparison, but the playoffs are a different animal. We have a lot of first timers. It's up to Rocco to try and get everyone a successful first taste of life in the playoffs (easier said than done). You can see people rapidly unravel, deflate, etc., in these games. Here's hoping our guys can close out innings and pass the baton with empty bases, so everyone has a chance to start off right. 

#37 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 445 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Severino is a 2X AS and according to both him and his team he's healthy. That simply is a quality arm. I'm not sure how a guy with 28 career Major League innings can be that underrated but regardless of where you feel he his, it isn't anywhere near Severino; this isn't a push.

Then we agree to disagree. But don’t feel bad about being wrong, I still like you ;).

Edited by MN_ExPat, 04 October 2019 - 05:57 PM.

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,353 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

I blame Nick.

• ashbury and Danchat like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 408 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

I blame Nick.

Haha. This was reaching at best anyway. We all know the Twins pitching is suspect. Even more so when your manager decides he wants the game in the hands of the bottom of your bullpen rather than your top. 

I like Rocco, but he made more than 1 poor decision last night. If we are going to lose to the Yankees, lose with your best. You don't need to save guys arms right now it is do or die. The guys he brought in last night besides Duffey, should only be used in games that are already over. 

#40 Linus

Linus

• 2,267 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:05 AM

This story didn’t age well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, jake odorizzi, taylor rogers, trevor may, tyler duffey