Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2019 MLB (Non-Twins) Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#461 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

not so negative

• 9,925 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

Great jinx, Hosken ... sheeeeesh

:)

Wait... we can jinx teams other than the Twins?

(but only with fluevogs?)
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#462 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,889 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

This was worth staying up for. Congrats Nats!

• Longdistancetwins, Hosken Bombo Disco and Vanimal46 like this

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#463 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,698 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

Scherzer gets his ring and his first ballot ticket to Cooperstown whenever he calls it a career!

Congrats to Ex-Twins Brian Dozier, Kurt Suzuki, and FRE!
  • SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, Danchat and 2 others like this

#464 spycake

spycake

• 18,105 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:05 PM

In no other case is the runner required to deviate from a direct base to base path to accommodate a throw.

Well, first base is kind of special, because the runner is allowed to overrun it. Any other base, and the runner is more than likely sliding and rendering interference mostly moot.

Maybe they could make a Nick Punto rule and require everyone to slide into first. :)

#465 spycake

spycake

• 18,105 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:24 PM

What a game! The final scores are a little deceptive, because this game (and game 6) were darn entertaining.

I didn't think the Nats had a chance, the way Scherzer and Greinke looked. Rooting for the Nats, I was giddy when the Astros went to Harris -- and was puzzled how we never saw Cole. Waiting for a moment that never came...?

• SQUIRREL and dex8425 like this

#466 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,806 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:19 AM

What a game! The final scores are a little deceptive, because this game (and game 6) were darn entertaining.

I didn't think the Nats had a chance, the way Scherzer and Greinke looked. Rooting for the Nats, I was giddy when the Astros went to Harris -- and was puzzled how we never saw Cole. Waiting for a moment that never came...?

my guess is the Stros had no intention of bringing Cole in mid-inning. So the 6th wasnt possible.

Why not later? Dunno.
  • spycake likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#467 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,698 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:24 AM

• mhanson93 likes this

#468 spycake

spycake

• 18,105 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

my guess is the Stros had no intention of bringing Cole in mid-inning. So the 6th wasnt possible.

Why not later? Dunno.

Yeah, and waiting for the start of an inning, after Greinke was deemed finished, presumably when they had the lead, was the moment that never came.

From the Astros perspective, I liked letting Greinke start the 7th. I would have left him in to finish the inning -- Rendon got the dinger but I didn't think the Nats were going to square him up much more. But if you really want to take him out mid-inning, just go with Cole -- I had a feeling the Nats were ready for the Astros relievers.

#469 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,698 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:33 AM

• USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#470 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,441 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:42 AM

Very happy for Washington, who gave us the Twins. I actually saw a game there this summer - good park and good fans.

Also happy for Suzuki and particularly Dozier. Wow, guy gets traded by the Twins and gets an NL Championship and a World Series loss, then a WS ring. He had the Moonlight Graham line in this series. 1 plate appearance, a walk.

#471 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

Please note.....WA spent a lot of money, made trades, and tried to win, even when it wasn't obvious they were playoff bound at the break....or the off season.....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#472 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 233 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:47 PM

Also happy for Suzuki and particularly Dozier. Wow, guy gets traded by the Twins and gets an NL Championship and a World Series loss, then a WS ring. He had the Moonlight Graham line in this series. 1 plate appearance, a walk.

Oh, I watched a lot of this series, but I must have blinked and missed Doz entirely (other than seeing him in the dugout).Well, I'm happy at least for his (non) plate appearance.  

#473 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,526 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

Please note.....WA spent a lot of money, made trades, and tried to win, even when it wasn't obvious they were playoff bound at the break....or the off season.....

I see where you're going with this.;)

Two things: one, unlike the Twins, Washington was in fact thought to be a postseason contender coming into last winter; and two, while no one's complaining now, Washington HAS depleted its prospect capital to get there and will likely pay a price for that at some time if the MLB talent doesn't stay intact and hold up. Washington has the fewest 40FV prospects in all of baseball (16) and a high payroll. In comparison, the Twins have 40 prospects with a 40FV or better and a low payroll.

Might be a reason Falvey said no to the Red Sox? Let's hope so.

I never have figured out what you mean by "tried to win" and why you think it applies to one team and not another.:)You like things quantified, and I'm not sure how you're quantifying your basis for that opinion.

Anyway, good for Washington! That town needs this!

Edited by birdwatcher, 31 October 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#474 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

I see where you're going with this. ;)

Two things: one, unlike the Twins, Washington was in fact thought to be a postseason contender coming into last winter; and two, while no one's complaining now, Washington HAS depleted its prospect capital to get there and will likely pay a price for that at some time if the MLB talent doesn't stay intact and hold up. Washington has the fewest 40FV prospects in all of baseball (16) and a high payroll. In comparison, the Twins have 40 prospects with a 40FV or better and a low payroll.

Might be a reason Falvey said no to the Red Sox? Let's hope so.

I never have figured out what you mean by "tried to win" and why you think it applies to one team and not another. :) You like things quantified, and I'm not sure how you're quantifying your basis for that opinion.

Anyway, good for Washington! That town needs this!

If you don't add players, you aren't trying to win. Lots of teams folded their hands at the break. If that isn't clear, we are watching different worlds. This isn't my simple take, plenty of writers are pointing this out. I'm not making this stuff up.....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 31 October 2019 - 03:10 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#475 LVTwinsfan

LVTwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,254 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

In 1987 the Twins became the first team to win a World Series by winning all their home games and losing all their road games, a feat which they repeated in 1991. I think the Nats one upped them by winning all their road games and losing all their home games. But consider this, a World Series where more than 90 percent of the fans who attended the games saw their team lose every game

You know horses are smarter than people. You never heard of a horse going broke betting on people.  - Will Rogers

#476 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,230 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

While not really a classic series, it was refreshing to see two teams rely on their starting pitchers and not try dumb **** like openers and pulling starters in the third inning.

• LVTwinsfan likes this