Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

2019 MLB (Non-Twins) Postseason Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
475 replies to this topic

#21 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:33 AM

A’s and Rays tonight. Who are you rooting for? I kinda lean Tampa, but I would be happy with either.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

#22 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 900 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

The internet is ripping the Nats manager for starting Sherzer. Really? He started one of the best pitchers in baseball, and that's a mistake?

It's also the internet so the stupid quotient is quite high

• Danchat likes this

#23 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,595 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

Give me the Brew Crew tonight. For reasons only because I want a Milwaukee/Minnesota World Series.

Ooof. This aged poorly

• Sconnie likes this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#24 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,595 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:01 AM

A’s and Rays tonight. Who are you rooting for? I kinda lean Tampa, but I would be happy with either.

I'd like the A's to win this one. Think they have a better shot at taking down the Astros.

• woolywoolhouse, Sconnie and TFRazor like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#25 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 900 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:07 AM

I think I have to go with the A's. Old pal Robbie Grossman making it into the playoffs. Always liked him. Glad to see he's doing well elsewhere. Also, even though I didn't keep up with him over the season, saw Dozier's stats last night and he had a solid year. Was just happy that he wasn't done after last season.

• Sconnie likes this

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,564 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

so what, I’m a sleeper agent? Playing the long game for 6 years of some of the worst baseball in history? Even I don’t have the fortitude for that one ;)

That is... what I would expect you to say!
  • Puckett34 and Sconnie like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#27 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

The internet is ripping the Nats manager for starting Sherzer. Really? He started one of the best pitchers in baseball, and that's a mistake?

What is the basis of the criticism?

Scherzer had been pretty mediocre since his back issues cropped up midseason: 8 GS, 43 IP, 4.81 ERA, 3.75 FIP. Hasn't completed 7 innings since July 6.

Meanwhile, Strasburg has been great down the stretch -- 1.76 ERA, 2.90 FIP, 51 IP in his last 8 starts.

Plus Strasburg was fully rested, and they had him on the WC roster and were apparently planning to use him first out of the pen anyway. (And Strasburg was pretty incredible in 2017, his previous/primary postseason work - 2 GS, 14 IP, 0 R, 0.643 WHIP, 22 Ks -- while Scherzer's been more of a mixed bag in his -- albeit more extensive -- postseason career.)

Not that starting Scherzer is really wrong, but I can definitely see a non-hindsight argument for starting Strasburg and giving Scherzer some extra rest instead.

Edited by spycake, 02 October 2019 - 10:26 AM.

• Danchat likes this

#28 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

In fairness to Grisham, once that hit dropped, the game was tied for sure and likely already lost for the Brewers, regardless of his error. Would have been runners on 1st and 3rd, I think, with Kendrick due up, Hader cooked, and no one of note remaining in the Brewers pen. (While the Nationals still had Hudson and of course Corbin if they game went to extras.)

#29 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

Tonight (Wednesday Oct. 2), AL Wild Card Game

Tampa Bay Rays at Oakland Athletics

Time: 7:09 CST

TV: ESPN (and MLB.TV for international viewers)

Radio: ESPN or MLB At Bat

Edited by spycake, 02 October 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#30 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

Remember when Liam Hendriks was the surprise "opener" for the A's in last year's wild card game?

Now he's the A's closer, so he can relax for the first few innings. :)

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, Danchat and 1 other like this

#31 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,806 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

In fairness to Grisham, once that hit dropped, the game was tied for sure and likely already lost for the Brewers, regardless of his error. Would have been runners on 1st and 3rd, I think, with Kendrick due up, Hader cooked, and no one of note remaining in the Brewers pen. (While the Nationals still had Hudson and of course Corbin if they game went to extras.)

True, it didn’t cost them the game. But it was way more crushing than just a plain single would have been. Especially with Soto getting thrown out, it was like a lightning bolt, and suddenly they are batting in the 9th with the season on life support in an instant.

#32 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:55 PM

Robbie Grossman gets the start tonight in LF for the A's!

https://www.mlb.com/...tarting-lineups

He was 0-for-4 with 3 K's in the 2017 wild card game for the Twins...

#33 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,508 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

Tampa for me. I have a nephew at the game. He’s cheering on the A’s, which makes sense ... he now lives in Oakland, and he’s a Red Sox fan.
  • Sconnie likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#34 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:31 PM

Grossman with a pair of hits for Oakland tonight.

Nick Anderson gave up a single to the first batter he faced, before striking out the next 4 (including Grossman), to help close out the Rays victory.

#35 Diesel

Diesel

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 606 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

The A’s were a scary team. The Astros SHOULD cruise against the Rays. But this is playoff baseball. Anything can happen
  • jkcarew likes this

#36 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Thursday, Oct. 3

4:02 pm CST
Cardinals at Braves (NLDS Game 1)
TV: TBS

7:37 pm CST
Nationals at Dodgers (NLDS Game 1)
TV: TBS

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:18 PM

837 Eastern start time for a Nationals game. It's like they don't want fans to watch their product.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#38 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,232 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Manager: "This is the game we signed Keuchel for. He is always one pitch away from getting out of the inning."

Bullpen heating up as he is throwing a shutout in the 4th and then taken out after a bloop single where Markakis got a late break on the ball.

Pretty sure I'd rather have Keuchel out there than anyone else on that pitching staff.

#39 Diesel

Diesel

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 606 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

Whatever we do we can’t have errors like the Cardinals and Brewers have had. Brutal way to lose a game

#40 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,893 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:00 PM

Just checking on the Braves/Cardinals game. I don't know why it surprises me but to hear the childish/racist "chop" being sung again is just stunning. Please, Cardinals, beat them.

• Mike Sixel, Mr. Brooks and Sconnie like this