Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Mason: Q&A with Jim Rantz

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,194 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

FSNorth's Tyler Mason posted a very nice Q&A with outgoing Twins Farm Director Jim Rantz:

http://www.foxsports...475&feedID=5930

#2 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Q: Speaking of change, how has the Twins organization changed since you came aboard?
A:
"Our philosophies have always been pretty consistent. We try to promote within, not only the administrative part but obviously we believe in our farm system. Our philosophies haven't changed. We try to develop our own people. The changes that happen sometimes dictate. If you have a vacancy, you might have to get out there and play that free agent game. But other than that, we like to keep our own people. I don't think our philosophy has changed that much over the years. We really try to develop our own people."

Hmmm.

#3 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Q: Speaking of change, how has the Twins organization changed since you came aboard?
A:
"Our philosophies have always been pretty consistent. We try to promote within, not only the administrative part but obviously we believe in our farm system. Our philosophies haven't changed. We try to develop our own people. The changes that happen sometimes dictate. If you have a vacancy, you might have to get out there and play that free agent game. But other than that, we like to keep our own people. I don't think our philosophy has changed that much over the years. We really try to develop our own people."

Hmmm.

if you always do, what you have always done .you always get , what you have always gotten....

#4 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hmmm.

if you always do, what you have always done .you always get , what you have always gotten....

Ryan built teams that won 6 division titles. Is there anything wrong with that?

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,154 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

Thanks for the link.

I, too, found that quote a little disturbing. Consistency is good. Stagnancy isn't.

Obviously they've had to make adjustments and changes over the years just to keep functioning. But did they do it enough or would it have been better to bleed in a few more new perspectives" (philosophy, talent & ideas) over the years?

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

I still fail to see how trying to promote from within as a general rule is a different philosophy than most successful businesses/organizations.

Obviously you need qualified people to take the spots when they are promoted.
Papers...business papers.

#7 ThePuck

ThePuck

• Members
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

I still fail to see how trying to promote from within as a general rule is a different philosophy than most successful businesses/organizations.

If you need a change in philosophies, that's rarely gonna happen if people are being rained the same way...as often happens in organizations

#8 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

If you need a change in philosophies, that's rarely gonna happen if people are being rained the same way...as often happens in organizations

Maybe. But there was a decade of success followed by two terrible seasons. I still think there is reason to believe that the last two years are the aberration vs. the previous decade and that the Twins philosophy is ultimately a successful one, especially with Terry Ryan the one calling the shots as opposed to Bill Smith.
Papers...business papers.