Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: How Losing Luis Arraez Impacts the Twins ALDS Chances

luis arraez luis arraez injury minnesota twins twins vs yankees twins alds
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

Seems like a premature article....If I had to bet, Id wager Arraez is in the starting lineup come Friday. 

• bighat and BBAM like this

#22 Twins_Fan_For_Life

Twins_Fan_For_Life

• 26 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

Austudillo = -0.2 bWAR.
The embodiment of a replacement player?

#23 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Ouch, our best OBP hitter (.399) might be replaced by our worst OBP hitter (.299).An .838 OPS replaced by our worst OPS hitter (.678).

Just wait. Ever heard of Bucky Dent? Anyway, can't wait for it to start no matter who starts. If anything defines the Twins this year other than "Great season", its that there is no set lineup. No matter what happens, as the line from one of the Rocky movies went, "No pain, no pain".

Go Twins.

• Dantes929 likes this

#24 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• 401 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

Ouch, our best OBP hitter (.399) might be replaced by our worst OBP hitter (.299).An .838 OPS replaced by our worst OPS hitter (.678).

True, but with the Yankees likely to start a lefty (Paxton) in Game 1 and another one (Happ) in Game 4, we need to focus on Arraez and Schoop's OPS against LHP....917 for Schoop and only .696 for Arraez.Even though Schoop hasn't had success against Paxton, I have to believe Rocco needs to go with him in Game 1.

I'd hate to see Luis miss the series, but Schoop will be a very good replacement against lefties. 

• birdwatcher and Dantes929 like this

#25 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

I agree that Schoop Doggy Dog will play well in the playoffs.Schoop's arm when turning the DP is stronger than anyone else's as well.Here's the part about having so many questionable guys on the roster...it also affects the bullpen and I think Rocco would like to go with a bigger bullpen.However, if he does that, he cuts down on his options in the field and if those unhealed injuries come back to bite them, they need people off the bench....enter La Tortuga.The most versatile guy on the team.Putting him on the roster gives Rocco a little more bullpen flexibility.

• tarheeltwinsfan and DannySD like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#26 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

True, but with the Yankees likely to start a lefty (Paxton) in Game 1 and another one (Happ) in Game 4, we need to focus on Arraez and Schoop's OPS against LHP....917 for Schoop and only .696 for Arraez.Even though Schoop hasn't had success against Paxton, I have to believe Rocco needs to go with him in Game 1.

I'd hate to see Luis miss the series, but Schoop will be a very good replacement against lefties. 

Right now it is projected as Paxton (L), Severino ®, Tanaka ®.The Yankees say that Paxton might be their only "traditional starter" in the playoffs but we will see what exactly that means.Their bullpen will probably get a ton of innings this series. 

Happ has been told that he is pitching in relief for the playoffs, there is speculation that Happ could be used after an opener for game 4 but we will have to wait and see if that is the case.

#27 Monticore

Monticore

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

*La Tortuga is in some ways at least in a literary sense an uncanny Indio version of Yogi Berra. They are both awkward looking semi-comical creatures who surprised and delighted people with their dexterity and athleticism and peasant charm. And, I happen to believe that like Yogi - Astudillo is more than acquainted with a pivotal, baffling force of the Universe that can't ever be quantified and that the Twins could surely use a bit of to break this curse - Luck.
  • birdwatcher, tarheeltwinsfan and bighat like this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

True, but with the Yankees likely to start a lefty (Paxton) in Game 1 and another one (Happ) in Game 4, we need to focus on Arraez and Schoop's OPS against LHP....917 for Schoop and only .696 for Arraez. Even though Schoop hasn't had success against Paxton, I have to believe Rocco needs to go with him in Game 1.

Schoop was going to start against lefties anyways, even if Arraez didn't get hurt (IMO), so you're still replacing Arraez off the bench with Astudillo off the bench.

#29 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 308 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:07 PM

Its easy to sit back and (when you don;t like a player) only focus, malignantly, on their faults and totally forget their strengths and positive contributions. I know, when Sano whiffs on 3 straight unhittable pitches with runners on, I sometimes forgot all the game changing HR's he hit, just as an example.

Astudillo and Schoop are hardly perfect and people can drag out all the brand new metrics that make them look like they both belong in little league. What they forget is their impact on both the fans and their teammates in ways those metrics can't begin to match.

Both those guys have contributed, and will continue to do so. Turtle in particular has a fire in his belly that he brings to the entire bench. Not every AB was a soft grounder. Schoop made I think14 errors...which may seem like a lot, but how about some of those game saving stabs, and bullet throws to first? He k's a lot (like SAno) but he did contribute several big hits.

these guys shouldn't be villified and made to sound like they have no business on this team. 101 wins was a total team effort. I'm glad we have them both and I hope they prove in this series that they are valuable cogs in the wheel.

And for as much as I ragged on Castro's limp bat...isn't it something that he hit the HR to put us over the top against the Yankees. Yep...they all contribute. I like 'em all.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#30 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,665 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

i was down on Schoop in mid season because he was put in key situations a lot and was not coming through. Then he started coming through in spots for a while and I forgot about it. Arraez is simply the better player but that doesn't make Schoop bad.

• Sconnie and bighat like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,914 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

True, but with the Yankees likely to start a lefty (Paxton) in Game 1 and another one (Happ) in Game 4

That would be supremely arrogant of the Yankees and I hope they do it... but they probably won't.

The Twins are literally the best team in baseball against LHP. The 2019 Twins have basically the same OPS against lefties (.872) to what Nelson Cruz has in his career (.873).

So, okay, bring on Paxton and Happ... but I doubt the Yankee are so foolish as to start a series that way.

• glunn likes this

#32 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

Any update on Arraez's availability or potential availability?Still holding out hope he can figure out a way to play with a grade 1 sprain.

• bighat likes this

#33 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,914 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:35 AM

Any update on Arraez's availability or potential availability?Still holding out hope he can figure out a way to play with a grade 1 sprain.

We shouldn't expect to hear anything before Friday, maybe Thursday evening at the earliest. The Twins have no reason to announce anything before then.

• ashbury, glunn and Sconnie like this

#34 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

It is just a mild sprain, I am sure Arraz would want to just tape/wrap it up and get out there and play.

#35 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,256 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 09:39 AM

That would be supremely arrogant of the Yankees 

Wait, wait...the Yankees may do something arrogant ? No way ? Not the New York Bronx Bombers ? Not The BIG APPLE residents ! Not the team which has hit 306 home runs in a single season ? Pin Stripes ?The House that Ruth Built ? The team of "A-Rod", "Mr. October", "Gardy" and "Mr. Self Confidence" (whose initials are D.J)."Start spreading the news": "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere" .Brock, I can't believe you questioned whether the Yankees would do something arrogant.

Edited by tarheeltwinsfan, 01 October 2019 - 09:40 AM.

• woolywoolhouse likes this

#36 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 397 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Without wanting to start an all out debate.....Of course he is on the roster. Who else would you rather see pinch hitting in a tie game with a runner in scoring position?

#37 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 397 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:21 AM

I would just like to say this to Schoop. Thank you for coming to Minnesota and doing what you do. There's prolly about 20 mlb teams that wish they had you right now. I for one appreciate you.
  • glunn, woolywoolhouse, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#38 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 402 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

I would think they would put him on the playoff roster either way, won't they? Even if he can't play the field, I would think he could still be used as a late pinch hitter. 

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,777 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:41 AM

I'd guess he's on the roster. But Schoop should start vs any lefty. No matter how healthy Arraez is.
  • Twins33 and bighat like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#40 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 963 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:48 AM

Against Paxton, I would bet:

Garver C

Polanco SS

Cruz     DH

RosarioLF

Sano3B

KeplerCF

Cron1B

Schoop2B(only because of Arraez' injury)

GonzalezRF

Like the length, RH/LH balance, and the power in that lineup.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: luis arraez, luis arraez injury, minnesota twins, twins vs yankees, twins alds