Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/28): Cruz Homers, Arraez Injured, Twins Top KC 4-3

nelson cruz luis arraez mitch garver willians astudillo kyle gibson
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,537 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

Mlb network just spent 10 min going over what should of been done on that play , saying it was Arraez ball all the way - they slowed it down to where Arraez was waving and calling, and theres a practiced rotation that went ALL wrong,, broke it down real well, bottom line to them Duffey looked lost on standing there, and turtle also wasent paying attention , Arraez ball according to the way its all practiced in spring training and ??.didnt matter what area of the mound which surprised me. And even said Duffey should of been moving Tortuga out of the way, neat seeing how Harold and them spent alot of time on it, Arraez hope ur not hurt ,

That’s what happens when you have guys playing positions they aren’t accustomed to playing.
  • mrtwinsfan likes this

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,659 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

I’d rather have Arraez and hope he heals up quickly, but Schoop has power and probably provides better defense.
  • SQUIRREL, DocBauer, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 2 others like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#23 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 308 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

I'm not totally buying what mlb says. I rather agree with what Kaat used to do...the pitcher is the QB on these plays. He calls who takes it and in Kaat's case he used to push anyone else out of the way. Doesn't look like Duffey did that so instincts took over. Its easy to sit an watch a monitor and a replay over an over and say...this is how it should have been done. It was an unfortunate accident and I'm sure everyone is very bummed about it.

• SQUIRREL, Jerr, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,659 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

I'm not totally buying what mlb says. I rather agree with what Kaat used to do...the pitcher is the QB on these plays. He calls who takes it and in Kaat's case he used to push anyone else out of the way. Doesn't look like Duffey did that so instincts took over. Its easy to sit an watch a monitor and a replay over an over and say...this is how it should have been done. It was an unfortunate accident and I'm sure everyone is very bummed about it.

You could even go one further, and say the center fielder had the best look at it, and should have called it for the infielders. But who was in center? Did he have the pipes to be heard? :)
  • SQUIRREL likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#25 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:21 PM

Here's an innovative idea: Just let the darn pitcher catch the ball. We're treating them like babies out there. These guys have been catching pop-ups since they were little kids. The pitching mound is not an obstacle course from American Ninja. Baldelli can solve this problem pretty easily. Just tell them that pop-ups in front of the rubber are the pitcher's call. Behind the rubber, it's the shortstop's call, and he's not going to give it to the pitcher. This particular pop-up would have been an easy catch for Duffey, but he's not going to stand there and get sandwiched by Torts and Arraez, so I don't blame him for bailing out. 

• Jerr, Hosken Bombo Disco and brockbesler like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,765 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

Keeping your starting players sharp certainly isn't meaningless. I can't think of any manager who would sit his starters for over a week in preparation for the playoffs. It'd be nuts. Heck, the Dodgers have been playing meaningless games for a while now, yet Bellinger and Seager are still out there playing.

It's a bummer what happened to Arraez, but that's baseball. Wrapping him in bubble wrap until October 4th was never an option.

Stupid, unfortunate crap happens. As you say, and Carol stated, you have to put players on the field to play the game. Someone could have caught a spike somewhere and the same thing could have happened. It's just tragic and unfortunate, especially with all that has transpired the past 30-40 days.

Let us all hope a few days of rest and therapy will make this a "no big deal" event. Attrition sucks, but is part of a season in any sport. Just stinks we've had a ton of it so late in the season. Still, you don't win over a 100 games by being a weak team without depth and resolve. And this is not the first time we've had to adapt to a wounded player this season.

A healthy Marwin and Kepler will go a long way. And IF, Arraez is hurt worse than we hope, how great is it to have a guy like Schoop to step In? Never had that depth before.
  • Jerr, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 3balls2strikes like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:33 PM

Yesterday was Saturday, September 28 and it was the 161st game of the year.The Twins hit 1 home run for a season total of 304 home runs.The Twins are now 1 home run behind the Yankees for the new MLB single-season home run record.Tomorrow is the final day for both teams and the games begin between 2:00 and 2:20 Central Time.It should be interesting.

• birdwatcher, Jerr, Dman and 3 others like this

#28 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,812 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:33 PM

Here is a glass half-full thought. In the last 8 games Arraez went 6-35 (.171) and saw his BA drop from .349 to .334 ... so ... a little knick on the ankle, an extra day off ... (half-full glass talking) and he comes back swinging for singles on Friday or so.

#29 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 265 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:04 AM

I'm watching the game on replay so I hope Luis is ok. He is 22 and I think he is a tough kid that would play with a broken finger if he could go to a World Series....Twins need to have a meeting and fix the fielding. I'd hate to get hit by a fast moving Turtle! And I still want May and the Duffer to kick azz on NY!

#30 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,812 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:20 AM

Here's an innovative idea: Just let the darn pitcher catch the ball. We're treating them like babies out there. These guys have been catching pop-ups since they were little kids. The pitching mound is not an obstacle course from American Ninja. Baldelli can solve this problem pretty easily. Just tell them that pop-ups in front of the rubber are the pitcher's call. Behind the rubber, it's the shortstop's call, and he's not going to give it to the pitcher. This particular pop-up would have been an easy catch for Duffey, but he's not going to stand there and get sandwiched by Torts and Arraez, so I don't blame him for bailing out. 

I disagree completely. How many popups are hit directly over the pitcher's mound in a season? Less than 10? 5? The pitcher's job is to get off the mound in a hurry, let the fielder's, whose job is fielding, field the ball.

• howieramone2 likes this

#31 etwink

etwink

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:59 AM

Crazy how we had injuries during the season but nothing really bad and nothing we couldn't overcome with depth.
And then suddenly suspension and bad injuries at the end! Who ticked off the baseball gods?
Someone grab a bucket of KFC please!

...and candlesticks make a good wedding present!
  • DocBauer likes this
🇨🇮

#32 etwink

etwink

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:04 AM

I disagree completely. How many popups are hit directly over the pitcher's mound in a season? Less than 10? 5? The pitcher's job is to get off the mound in a hurry, let the fielder's, whose job is fielding, field the ball.

The pitcher’s job is to direct traffic on IF popups. A really savvy one will hold back guys to keep them out of the way. Duffey just kind of stared in the sky and then bolted at the last second. He isn’t to blame but hopefully he got a talking to on what he could do to help out next time.
  • Jerr, ScrapTheNickname and mrtwinsfan like this
🇨🇮

#33 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,334 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:19 AM

That’s what happens when you have guys playing positions they aren’t accustomed to playing.

it was a pop up on the pitchers mound, the exact same situation could have happened if Arraez were playing 2nd and Astudillo played C
  • luckylager likes this

#34 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• 202 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

Well whatever game Paxton is gonna start Schoop would probably be starting anyways. For whatever that’s worth.

#35 Huskertwin

Huskertwin

Elizabethton Twins

• 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:59 AM

Did we see a dress run today for a planned bullpen game in the playoffs?

Hopefully not the Kyle Gibson part!

• Danchat likes this

#36 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 157 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

I guess it depends on the grade of the sprain but maybe he can just tape it and still play.Our gymnasts have sprains are are able to compete with the help of tape.Especially if it a meet where you need to qualify for regionals or nationals. 

#37 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

It also surprised me, but when broke down to responsibilities for every infielder ,intresting 

#38 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,170 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

A couple notes not related to Arraez: the Yankees did not hit a HR last night, leaving us one behind them. We are also just 2 games behind NY... we almost caught them for the 2nd seed.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#39 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 113 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

In a situation with multiple fielders closing on a fly ball in the infield, it falls to the catcher to call out the player in the best position to make the out. Couldn't tell from the audio and unable to see Garver's face, but his body language is that of an observer. That was Astudillo's ball. Teammates should have been warning off Arraez.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nelson cruz, luis arraez, mitch garver, willians astudillo, kyle gibson