Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019/20 Off-season Manager Openings

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

I wonder if Maddon thinks he can't turnaround the pitching?

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:05 PM

If Ohtani can make 20+ starts, that would help......

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#43 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,735 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:15 PM

I want Maddon's PR guy...or maybe a personality transplant.

I'm younger than Maddon, yet feel like I wage a constant uphill battle to stave off unfavorable perceptions (professional settings) related to age. Meanwhile, Maddon will be 66 next year, and the baseball community and media seem to treat him as if he's the most woke, innovative, due the game has to offer. Don't know what the deal is with that. I should probably run out to a Barns and Noble and see if they have a copy of his book.

• Riverbrian likes this

#44 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,597 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

I want Maddon's PR guy...or maybe a personality transplant.

I'm younger than Maddon, yet feel like I wage a constant uphill battle to stave off unfavorable perceptions (professional settings) related to age. Meanwhile, Maddon will be 66 next year, and the baseball community and media seem to treat him as if he's the most woke, innovative, due the game has to offer. Don't know what the deal is with that. I should probably run out to a Barns and Noble and see if they have a copy of his book.

First impressions as the original innovator along with a consistent winning record year after year will do the trick. 

BTW... I still love Robert Plant at age 71.:)

No one has out done him yet. 

• ashbury likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#45 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,102 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:43 PM

With Maddon now in LA, with the rumors that Gerrit Cole wants to sign there, and some inevitable housecleaning that will happen following the Skaggs tragedy, the Angels might come out in 2020 and surprise. If they can stay healthy look out.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#46 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,165 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

Trust me Mike... I'm paying attention. It's been perhaps my sole focus and that is why I've become a one-note poster lately on roster fundamentals based on what I'm seeing from the other 29 teams plus the Twins. 

Billy Eppler was the assistent GM with the Yankees before getting the Angels gig. His reputation was strong when it comes to analytics so I am absolutely sure that the Angels are making adjustments internally and I think it is a strong bet that Eppler and Maddon talked about what they need to do to move forward. 

However... Those adjustments will be out of the public view. 

From what is observable to me:

He has done a nice job rebuilding the farm system which was bone dry during the time of Dipoto. . 

Meanwhile at the major league level, they have barely scratched the surface of fixing what ails them as they seem stuck. Much like the Twins were stuck at a lower budget. Calhoun, Upton, Pujols, LuCroy, Bour, Cozart, Cahill, Harvey are more expensive versions of the Twin signing Kevin Correia and Ricky Nolasco.

They blow the budget, under perform and play every day when healthy, killing the team in the process. 

I have noticed the appearance of players like David Fletcher and Luis Rengifo. Brian Goodwin was given opportunity. I've noticed Ty Buttrey and Griffin Canning. A couple of decent acquisitions and a couple of farm call ups... but... I'm also seeing the Harvey, Cahill and La Stella (That one really worked out) acquisitions simultaneously. Which is just more of the same failed strategy and adds to the clogging of the system and a snails pace turnaround. 

The Hiring of Brad Ausmus was a huge neon sign to me that they are still stuck in no man's land. All the other organizations were raiding the modern organizations. The Angels went to the old.  

I'm seeing the Trout extension which suggests that they are not going to rebuild, they are going to ride through these bad contracts and perhaps add more to the pile to try and win with Trout and Ohtani. 

The Angels may be shifting a new direction with the hiring of Maddon... I'm a Maddon fan... Maddon is the guy if you want to go a new direction...

But... If you got an improving farm club ready to hit the big stage... you gotta clear some space for those guys to rise into. This team can't go out and get Garrit Cole and think that he will fix Cozart and Pujols. Because now you got Trout and Cole money wasting away while the Pujols (and others) money negates it.  

I'm not saying Eppler is bad at his job or anything like that, I'm sure he is making changes. I'm saying he walked into a nightmare and this will take some time and this is what Joe signed up for when he took the job and I'm letting you know that I am paying attention.:)

The Padres were already built to Maddon specs. Perfect Match in my opinion. 

You think Maddon still has the time it's going to take to clear the Angel system of dead weight? Any chance they eat Pujol's contract? Maybe a couple of other guys like LuCroy? 

I have to think that eating a couple of contracts while playing guys making the minimum isn't going to hurt much from a salary standpoint.

#47 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:08 AM

You think Maddon still has the time it's going to take to clear the Angel system of dead weight? Any chance they eat Pujol's contract? Maybe a couple of other guys like LuCroy? 

I have to think that eating a couple of contracts while playing guys making the minimum isn't going to hurt much from a salary standpoint.

Their contracts are going to clear pretty quick. Eppler didn't sign many of the truly bad ones, that's the thing.

Pujols is done after 2021, Cozart after 2020, Calhoun has a very cheap buyout this year to end his deal, and Simmons is done after 2020. Trout and Upton are the only ones with contracts beyond 2021 (Upton done after 2022). Trimming off the fat on that payroll has taken significant work. However, there's going to be an open spot for Adell even to open 2020. There's been plenty of interest in Upton when healthy, and they could move him when Marsh is ready.

Grabbing guys like Harvey have been on one-year deals. Those, like the trade for LaStella, can either be a brilliant move or a quick, easy DFA if they don't work out, like Harvey and Lucroy didn't. That's what you do while you wait for the system to produce the long-term guys you need. I'd wager 2-3 of their top 30 arms hit the majors next year along with 3-4 more arms. There are 2-3 more bats that should make it quickly in 2020 as well.

Edited by biggentleben, 18 October 2019 - 02:08 AM.

• Blake and Mike Sixel like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

I would welcome more competition in the AL... Last season was weird, with 6 teams competing for 5 spots, and the rest of the league wasn't even close. The Twins have to be competitive themselves in the free agent and trade market this winter to keep up the momentum. 

#49 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,597 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:19 AM

Age won't be the time issue... It'll be the won/loss record that tolls the bell. Do they enter into 2020 with a short term aggressiveness or a long term plan. 

If they pour more money into it, patience will not granted.

If they do as Ben suggests below and clear out contracts at available opportunities without adding new ones that need to be cleared later, perpetuating the bad cycle they have been in. Maddon will have less immediate pressure. As Ben accurately lists (in a positive light), this won't be tomorrow (I post that in a negative light) and when tomorrow comes, you will have youth growing pains because we all know that prospects don't always pan out if they commit to this direction and some take a little time.

They have to do what they haven't tried to do for years. Develop a young core of players that the free agent dollars can enhance. You can't develop a young core if Cozart is in the way. Teams need 600K talent to manage the budget. All teams have budgets. 

How do you find players with helium if your infield is Cozart, Simmons, La Stella and Pujols all over the age of 30 on the downward slope taking all of the playing time. Maddon will figure out how to get players like Rengifo playing time but he hasn't walked into a roster as choked as this one before. Is Cozart going to play some OF? 

If they let Calhoun walk (They Should) do they just replace him with Yasiel Puig and continue down the same path that got them here. 

If they spend on Puig (for example). Do they also continue to spend on starting pitching which was bone dry this year? How high does the payroll get while they are trying to dig out from the old payroll. Does it become a new problem in the future.  

The answer to your question is: It depends on what direction they take this off season. If they spend again... He doesn't have time. Nobody does. 

San Diego has already been through the process the Angels need to go through. Maddon would have been perfect for them. 

• Blake likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#50 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,165 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

Age won't be the time issue... It'll be the won/loss record that tolls the bell. Do they enter into 2020 with a short term aggressiveness or a long term plan. 

If they pour more money into it, patience will not granted.

If they do as Ben suggests below and clear out contracts at available opportunities without adding new ones that need to be cleared later, perpetuating the bad cycle they have been in. Maddon will have less immediate pressure. As Ben accurately lists (in a positive light), this won't be tomorrow (I post that in a negative light) and when tomorrow comes, you will have youth growing pains because we all know that prospects don't always pan out if they commit to this direction and some take a little time.

They have to do what they haven't tried to do for years. Develop a young core of players that the free agent dollars can enhance. You can't develop a young core if Cozart is in the way. Teams need 600K talent to manage the budget. All teams have budgets. 

How do you find players with helium if your infield is Cozart, Simmons, La Stella and Pujols all over the age of 30 on the downward slope taking all of the playing time. Maddon will figure out how to get players like Rengifo playing time but he hasn't walked into a roster as choked as this one before. Is Cozart going to play some OF? 

If they let Calhoun walk (They Should) do they just replace him with Yasiel Puig and continue down the same path that got them here. 

If they spend on Puig (for example). Do they also continue to spend on starting pitching which was bone dry this year? How high does the payroll get while they are trying to dig out from the old payroll. Does it become a new problem in the future.  

The answer to your question is: It depends on what direction they take this off season. If they spend again... He doesn't have time. Nobody does. 

San Diego has already been through the process the Angels need to go through. Maddon would have been perfect for them. 

The part in bold is key. 

It will be interesting to watch what happens next year.

Hopefully, the team isn't fooled by short term success.

• Riverbrian likes this

#51 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,495 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Just a side note ... as this is an interesting side discussion on the Angels, it might warrant its own thread, and leave this one to managerial openings and hirings for all teams. It is certainly going to be interesting to see who ends up where for all teams. Do we have this many manager openings every season? It just seems like quite a lot this year.

• Blake likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#52 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

Just a side note ... as this is an interesting side discussion on the Angels, it might warrant its own thread, and leave this one to managerial openings and hirings for all teams. It is certainly going to be interesting to see who ends up where for all teams. Do we have this many manager openings every season? It just seems like quite a lot this year.

...and I'm not sold that we're done seeing them open up.

#53 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,495 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

...and I'm not sold that we're done seeing them open up.

Which others do you think will open?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#54 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

Which others do you think will open?

TBH, I don't know. It's just that usually you see openings all the way up to GM meetings in mid-/late-November. For instance, if the Pads do choose to go with Ron Washington, I do think that would be a strike for Alex Anthopolous to potentially move on from Brian Snitker in Atlanta.

Another angle to look at are guys who are entering the last year of their deal and want to get extended this offseason. If the numbers don't work out, team/manager may part ways an offseason early. Guys in that situation include Craig Counsell (now the longest-tenured manager at his post in the NL - maybe the majors as well), Dave Martinez, Ron Gardenhire, Snitker, Rick Renteria, and Aaron Boone.

Edited by biggentleben, 18 October 2019 - 10:36 PM.

#55 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

One big question that many have brought up in San Diego - Hosmer's money is dead and non insignificant (he's been worth negative fWAR his first two years of the deal) and many managers are not fans of Machado, who has a reputation in the league (throwing bats at players, starting fistfights in the dugout and at spring workouts, and more BEFORE last postseason's antics that seemingly opened peoples' eyes to his behavior), and he's tied to a monster contract. Preller's also a guy who can be contentious. Those aspects could certainly add to San Diego being less of a desired destination than their raw talent would suggest.

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

Grandpa Ross back in the Cubs dugout!

#57 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:16 PM

Some of my Cubs fan friends are predicting David Ross will be the new Cubs manager.

Grandpa Ross back in the Cubs dugout!

My friends were right! :)

• ashbury likes this

#58 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

My friends were right! :)

That one seemed to be a Ross or field sort of bet.

#59 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:40 AM

Joe Girardi will be the new Phillies manager, and Jayce Tingler will manage the Padres.

#60 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:54 AM

Joe Girardi will be the new Phillies manager, and Jayce Tingler will manage the Padres.

Girardi will come out with a few 90-win teams out of the corner-infield and corner-outfield heavy Phillies before going nuts and demanding someone find him a competent shortstop and/or center fielder. Honestly, I'd have loved to see Girardi with a younger club. He was brilliant in Miami with a club almost entirely made of either rookies or guys under 25 in the lineup and a pitching staff that featured 3 starters under 25 as his top 3 in the rotation by season's end. Then he asked for a reasonable bump in pay and was dismissed. Two years later, he was a World Champion, managing the Yankees.