Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019/20 Off-season Manager Openings

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

Gabe Kapler is out in Philly.

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,743 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

I'd put the odds at 60-40 there's a manager job open in Dodgerland before long.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

I'd put the odds at 60-40 there's a manager job open in Dodgerland before long.

Certainly possible. Patience is a virtue but at some point you gotta get that team over the hump.

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:13 AM

If you were Joe Maddon, arguably the most desirable manager candidate out there, where would you go?

Angels have Trout, but they're stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

Phillies have a ton of talent...

Padres??

Does he transition to the front office?

#25 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:29 PM

If you were Joe Maddon, arguably the most desirable manager candidate out there, where would you go?

Angels have Trout, but they're stuck in perpetual mediocrity.

Phillies have a ton of talent...

Padres??

Does he transition to the front office?

Angels are the organization he cut his teeth with, they have an impressive farm system that is about to launch multiple top players into the majors in the next two years to go with the best player of the generation, the best defender of the generation, and arguably the most intriguing talent of the generation (Shohei).

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,743 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:46 PM

According to Joel Sherman of the NY Post, Twins bench coach Derek Shelton will interview for the Mets manager job next week.

I mean, it's the NY Post, but Joel Sherman seems to usually know what he's talking about.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:38 PM

According to Joel Sherman of the NY Post, Twins bench coach Derek Shelton will interview for the Mets manager job next week.

I mean, it's the NY Post, but Joel Sherman seems to usually know what he's talking about.

8 manager openings now... Odds are the Twins losing one or more on the coaching staff.

#28 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,580 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

8 manager openings now... Odds are the Twins losing one or more on the coaching staff.

Of all the top 3 coaches in the Twins org, I hope that Wes Johnson stays the most. This is not to belittle Rowson or Shelton and I haven't seen any rumors on him. I just want to see what year 2 with Wes Johnson can do with this staff.

Edited by Puckett34, 10 October 2019 - 02:43 PM.

• Sconnie likes this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,062 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

Of all the top 3 coaches in the Twins org, I hope that Wes Johnson stays the most. This is not to belittle Rowson or Shelton and I haven't seen any rumors on him. I just want to see what year 2 with Wes Johnson can do with this staff.

Can't see either a first-year pitching coach, or this particular hitting coach, as managerial candidates at this time.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts. -- John Locke

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:10 AM

I would most want San Diego. In addition to the farm, they will spend money. And it's San Diego.... Is that job open?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,339 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:07 AM

#33 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 372 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

Joe ought to take off a year. Always wanted him in St. Louis where he has ties.

#34 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,597 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

I understand Joe has a lengthy history with the organization. I understand the value of that. 

I'm sure Maddon and Eppler had conversations about the future and how to fix the deep rooted woes with the roster. 

However, this is a team that is absolutely blocked up and pouring more money into it, isn't going to fix it and could make it even worse.  

Maddon took the worst job in my opinion for his style. That Padres job would have been perfect for his style. 

However, it's done. Maddon is back in the AL. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#35 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:11 AM

I understand Joe has a lengthy history with the organization. I understand the value of that. 

I'm sure Maddon and Eppler had conversations about the future and how to fix the deep rooted woes with the roster. 

However, this is a team that is absolutely blocked up and pouring more money into it, isn't going to fix it and could make it even worse.  

Maddon took the worst job in my opinion for his style. That Padres job would have been perfect for his style. 

However, it's done. Maddon is back in the AL. 

You mean the team whose farm system is likely to be top 10 in most places this offseason and should graduate a top 2-3 prospect in the entire game into the major league outfield next season (with plenty more in AA and AAA ready to come at multiple positions)? I think Joe will be quite happy with his choice. The big thing will be finding the ace for the rotation as there are a host of excellent young arms, but none with the upside of a #1 sort of guy.

Sounds like Joe wasn't wanted in San Diego all that badly. Ownership wants Ron Washington, Preller wants Tingler, whose name is just waiting for a double entendre. Sounds like Tingler has made replacement plans with the winter league team he was managing in the Dominican, so he's got a feeling something is happening.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#36 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,597 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:30 AM

You mean the team whose farm system is likely to be top 10 in most places this offseason and should graduate a top 2-3 prospect in the entire game into the major league outfield next season (with plenty more in AA and AAA ready to come at multiple positions)? I think Joe will be quite happy with his choice. The big thing will be finding the ace for the rotation as there are a host of excellent young arms, but none with the upside of a #1 sort of guy.

Sounds like Joe wasn't wanted in San Diego all that badly. Ownership wants Ron Washington, Preller wants Tingler, whose name is just waiting for a double entendre. Sounds like Tingler has made replacement plans with the winter league team he was managing in the Dominican, so he's got a feeling something is happening.

No... I mean the team that doesn't produce young players because bloated contracts get all the playing time so they spend more money on more bloated contracts to fix it.:)

I mean the team that typically takes farm system talent and trades it.

If I'm the GM of the Angels, I'm happy that I have a top ten farm system, the lack of production from the minor leagues is killing the franchise and forced them into a rabbit hole that they have to dig out of.

Now, If you are going to change and actually try to produce younger talent. Joe Maddon is the manager I want. 

But if I'm Madden... The Angels are not going to turn around quickly while the Padres are knocking on the door and are already loaded to Maddon style specs. 

If the Padres didn't pursue Maddon, well they didn't. I think that would be a mistake. The two rumored candidates have Ranger ties, and of course Preller came from the Rangers. 

A little familiar comfort in a world full of strangers I guess. Same reason Lavine signs Martin Perez and trades for Dyson I assume. 

• Blake likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:29 AM

No... I mean the team that doesn't produce young players because bloated contracts get all the playing time so they spend more money on more bloated contracts to fix it. :)

I mean the team that typically takes farm system talent and trades it.

If I'm the GM of the Angels, I'm happy that I have a top ten farm system, the lack of production from the minor leagues is killing the franchise and forced them into a rabbit hole that they have to dig out of.

Now, If you are going to change and actually try to produce younger talent. Joe Maddon is the manager I want.

But if I'm Madden... The Angels are not going to turn around quickly while the Padres are knocking on the door and are already loaded to Maddon style specs.

If the Padres didn't pursue Maddon. They didn't. I think that would be a mistake. The two rumored candidates have Ranger ties, and of course Preller came from the Rangers.

A little familiar comfort in a world full of strangers I guess. Same reason Lavine signs Martin Perez and trades for Dyson I assume.

Of course, they replaced their GM a couple years ago, and are changing their approach. I think you haven't noticed the change.... That said, I already posted I'd want the Padres job most.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#38 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,165 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

The guy I’m watching is Maddon. Best manager in baseball in my opinion.

Rumor is the Angels will make a full court press to hire Maddon.

If I’m Maddon... I’d take the Padres job. He will be overflowing with depth in San Diego which is what Maddon does better than everyone else.

You called that one.

#39 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,597 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:40 PM

Of course, they replaced their GM a couple years ago, and are changing their approach. I think you haven't noticed the change.... That said, I already posted I'd want the Padres job most.

Trust me Mike... I'm paying attention. It's been perhaps my sole focus and that is why I've become a one-note poster lately on roster fundamentals based on what I'm seeing from the other 29 teams plus the Twins. 

Billy Eppler was the assistent GM with the Yankees before getting the Angels gig. His reputation was strong when it comes to analytics so I am absolutely sure that the Angels are making adjustments internally and I think it is a strong bet that Eppler and Maddon talked about what they need to do to move forward. 

However... Those adjustments will be out of the public view. 

From what is observable to me:

He has done a nice job rebuilding the farm system which was bone dry during the time of Dipoto. . 

Meanwhile at the major league level, they have barely scratched the surface of fixing what ails them as they seem stuck. Much like the Twins were stuck at a lower budget. Calhoun, Upton, Pujols, LuCroy, Bour, Cozart, Cahill, Harvey are more expensive versions of the Twin signing Kevin Correia and Ricky Nolasco.

They blow the budget, under perform and play every day when healthy, killing the team in the process. 

I have noticed the appearance of players like David Fletcher and Luis Rengifo. Brian Goodwin was given opportunity. I've noticed Ty Buttrey and Griffin Canning. A couple of decent acquisitions and a couple of farm call ups... but... I'm also seeing the Harvey, Cahill and La Stella (That one really worked out) acquisitions simultaneously. Which is just more of the same failed strategy and adds to the clogging of the system and a snails pace turnaround. 

The Hiring of Brad Ausmus was a huge neon sign to me that they are still stuck in no man's land. All the other organizations were raiding the modern organizations. The Angels went to the old.  

I'm seeing the Trout extension which suggests that they are not going to rebuild, they are going to ride through these bad contracts and perhaps add more to the pile to try and win with Trout and Ohtani. 

The Angels may be shifting a new direction with the hiring of Maddon... I'm a Maddon fan... Maddon is the guy if you want to go a new direction...

But... If you got an improving farm club ready to hit the big stage... you gotta clear some space for those guys to rise into. This team can't go out and get Garrit Cole and think that he will fix Cozart and Pujols. Because now you got Trout and Cole money wasting away while the Pujols (and others) money negates it.  

I'm not saying Eppler is bad at his job or anything like that, I'm sure he is making changes. I'm saying he walked into a nightmare and this will take some time and this is what Joe signed up for when he took the job and I'm letting you know that I am paying attention.:)

The Padres were already built to Maddon specs. Perfect Match in my opinion. 

• Blake likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#40 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,597 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

You called that one.

I was just listening to the reported rumors and actually praying that it wouldn't happen. 

Founded 4-23-16