Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/24): Odorizzi's Gem Cuts the Twins Magic Number to 2

twins vs tigers twins game recap minnesota twins detroit tigers twins win
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 140 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:03 AM

Assuming the Twins win the division and get the Yankees in the playoffs, I could see Cleveland beating the Astros in the other division playoff. I am not sure I would want to face that team. They are on fire.

• dex8425 likes this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

Bring on the Yankees. I'm ready to get the monkey off our back...
  • Dantes929 and SF Twins Fan like this

#23 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,669 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:53 AM

Odorizzi was given the win, trailing 1-0 when he left the game.Good for them on that decision. 

he gone!

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,351 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:08 AM

Odorizzi was given the win, trailing 1-0 when he left the game. Good for them on that decision.

werent they up 4-1 when he left the game?
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury and Brian450 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 309 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

Yankees or Houston...like choosing between the firing squad and lethel injection! Houston's pitching is matchless. Yankees hitting is scary especially against us. Either team is probably going to be odds on to sweep us.

So who would give us the best shot? Forgetting history, it would be NY. We might be able to outslug them 16-15. Houston has 3 starters that could shut us down quickly and they aren't too shabby on offense either.

Starting on the road for us is a huge advantage, crazy as that seems. Twins have played miserably against the Yankees for a pretty long time, but maybe, if they get healthy, you never know. I'd take my chances with them.

• Dantes929 and mikelink45 like this

#26 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

werent they up 4-1 when he left the game?

maxresdefault.jpg

Forget it. He's rollin'.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#27 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,665 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

Yankees or Houston...like choosing between the firing squad and lethel injection! Houston's pitching is matchless. Yankees hitting is scary especially against us. Either team is probably going to be odds on to sweep us.

So who would give us the best shot? Forgetting history, it would be NY. We might be able to outslug them 16-15. Houston has 3 starters that could shut us down quickly and they aren't too shabby on offense either.

Starting on the road for us is a huge advantage, crazy as that seems. Twins have played miserably against the Yankees for a pretty long time, but maybe, if they get healthy, you never know. I'd take my chances with them.

I agree with you except for the odds on to sweep.They may sweep us or we may sweep them but that is going to be the two least likely results. Vegas odds would never have a near 100 win team be most likely to be swept..Again, I am pulling this out of thin air but the most likely result would be us losing 3-2.I am guessing the next two possibilities of us winning 3-2 or losing 3-1 would be very close.. Us winning 3-1 would probably be a small margin over them sweeping us and then lastly us sweeping them.

• 70charger likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#28 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 309 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

I agree with you except for the odds on to sweep.They may sweep us or we may sweep them but that is going to be the two least likely results. Vegas odds would never have a near 100 win team be most likely to be swept..Again, I am pulling this out of thin air but the most likely result would be us losing 3-2.I am guessing the next two possibilities of us winning 3-2 or losing 3-1 would be very close.. Us winning 3-1 would probably be a small margin over them sweeping us and then lastly us sweeping them.

This is why I don't bet on anything! My 'gut' tells me that right now we aren't in the same league as Houston and the Yankees always find ways to break our hearts. Worse...if half our lineup is injured, or barely recovered, that won't help the cause. And then of course, our very tentative pitching staff.. In a short series we could be undone very quickly. So a sweep (against us) is pretty possible, unfortunately.

However....upsets do happen. Can the Twins pull one? Always possible, but improbable. As a fan, I want them to be the Cinderella Team in 2019, but I think we have too many holes. Another reason why I really resent what Pineda did. Just no excuse for that. None.

Twins have only lost 3 straight once...4 straight once. And they will be on the road, where somehow they seem to be at their best as their MLB best road record indicates.

Beating the Yankees for me would be like the Bills beating Tom Brady. Improbable but ah so sweet if it happens.

Finally I am aware that we did OK against Houston this year...but we haven't played them in quite awhile and it was when our lineup was at pretty much full strength. So those results are kind of meaningless to me. Still, thats why they play the games. First things first...clinch the division!

Edited by insagt1, 25 September 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• Dantes929 likes this

#29 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,665 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

This is why I don't bet on anything! My 'gut' tells me that right now we aren't in the same league as Houston and the Yankees always find ways to break our hearts. Worse...if half our lineup is injured, or barely recovered, that won't help the cause. And then of course, our very tentative pitching staff.. In a short series we could be undone very quickly. So a sweep (against us) is pretty possible, unfortunately.

However....upsets do happen. Can the Twins pull one? Always possible, but improbable. As a fan, I want them to be the Cinderella Team in 2019, but I think we have too many holes. Another reason why I really resent what Pineda did. Just no excuse for that. None.

Twins have only lost 3 straight once...4 straight once. And they will be on the road, where somehow they seem to be at their best as their MLB best road record indicates.

Beating the Yankees for me would be like the Bills beating Tom Brady. Improbable but ah so sweet if it happens.

Finally I am aware that we did OK against Houston this year...but we haven't played them in quite awhile and it was when our lineup was at pretty much full strength. So those results are kind of meaningless to me. Still, thats why they play the games. First things first...clinch the division!

Yes, first things first.I din't watch the Super Bowl to see if Brady can beat Foles and the Eagles. I know they can.I watched it to see if Foles and the Eagles could beat the Patriots. Takes very little imagination on my part to think Odorizzi can pitch well against the Yankees or Astros. I also kind of like the bullpen strategy. Might blow up in our faces or it might be the perfect way to beat them.I think Houston is the best team. Yankees are the better team but not by a really big margin so odds would favor that matchup. Yes, we need healthy guys. We just saw a 4.6 ERA guy us out for 6 innings. Not the first time its happened either. We have guys capable of that.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#30 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,850 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

I want to be optimistic but i just don't think our starters match up very well with the Yankees and certainly not the Astros who arguably have 3 aces in Cole, Greinke and Verlander.Amazing rotation they have.

• mikelink45 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins vs tigers, twins game recap, minnesota twins, detroit tigers, twins win