Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Royce Lewis Opening Options with AFL Flexibility

royce lewis jorge polanco luis arraez miguel sano marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,810 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

I would rather see Lewis at SS when/if he gets to the MLB. Polanco is a below average SS defensively and Arraez is well below average at 2nd using UZR metrics. Arraez has been decent at 3rd in 123 inning there.

Arraez at 3rd or super utility, Lewis at SS, Polanco at 2nd, Sano at 1b/DH (if he is not a FA by the time Lewis debuts).

Our infield defense is not very good and our outfield defense is great. Seems like making room for Lewis in the outfield is a waste. Kirilloff, Cave, and Wade should be ahead of Lewis on any outfield depth chart.

Cave and Wade are not ahead of Lewis. If Lewis moves to the outfield, it's not clear anyone but Kepler is in front of him, assuming Buxton is gone in that scenario.
  • brvama and gagu like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 388 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

Cave and Wade are not ahead of Lewis. If Lewis moves to the outfield, it's not clear anyone but Kepler is in front of him, assuming Buxton is gone in that scenario.

So you're saying that if Lewis moves to OF he is immediately 2nd or 3rd on our depth chart?So basically starting somewhere on the MLB roster.

For 2020, Cave, Gonzalez and Wade are absolutely ahead of Lewis in OF.Luke Raley is too.Lewis would need to set the world on fire to be considered anywhere next season and it is likely that he is only considered for an infield spot.

Rosario would have to be gone too I'm assuming because he, Buxton, and Kepler are all clearly well ahead of Lewis until at least 2022.It doesn't make sense to me to squeeze Lewis into an already crowded and talented outfield when it would be easy to find him a spot in the infield.We don't need to clog up any OF spots when Kirilloff and Larnach seem to be every bit as good as Lewis.

Honestly Lewis probably doesn't factor anywhere in 2020 but it seems simple to mix around the infield in 2021 when Cron, Gonzalez, and Adrianza are likely Free Agents.I'm betting Lewis is still the SS of the future.

#23 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

Yeah I would put Kirilloff and Larnach ahead of Lewis in the OF pecking order assuming no Buxton.Basically, you have 2 OF spots, 1B, and 3B to divide between Kirilloff, Larnach, Lewis, Rosario, and Sano.  

That said, I would not mind Lewis in a Marwin Gonzalez role in that scenario with the ability to play any OF spot and 2B, SS, and 3B. 

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,810 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:05 PM

Yeah I would put Kirilloff and Larnach ahead of Lewis in the OF pecking order assuming no Buxton. Basically, you have 2 OF spots, 1B, and 3B to divide between Kirilloff, Larnach, Lewis, Rosario, and Sano.

That said, I would not mind Lewis in a Marwin Gonzalez role in that scenario with the ability to play any OF spot and 2B, SS, and 3B.

Rosario is gone in a year or two, if not at the end of this year.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 25 September 2019 - 06:05 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#25 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

You develop him at short. Shortstop is the most difficult position from a technical standpoint. For superior athletes like Lewis it’s easy to transition to another position from SS if/when that time comes. Not so, in reverse. That’s the point. And that’s why he’ll stay there until the bat is ready and they have a specific spot open on the big club...at that point, the transition would happen fast, and he’d be here.
  • ashbury, birdwatcher, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#26 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:51 AM

Rosario is gone in a year or two, if not at the end of this year.

He could be and I have advocated for that in the past as well. In all likelihood Buxton will still be part of the mix even if injuries keep him from consistently being part of the mix—which then leaves the scenario the same for Lewis.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,290 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:51 PM

You develop him at short. Shortstop is the most difficult position from a technical standpoint. For superior athletes like Lewis it’s easy to transition to another position from SS if/when that time comes. Not so, in reverse. That’s the point. And that’s why he’ll stay there until the bat is ready and they have a specific spot open on the big club...at that point, the transition would happen fast, and he’d be here.

I absolutely understand your logic and I don't disagree that players can be moved to different positions quickly. As a matter of fact.. players are moved to different positions quickly all the time. I'm not afraid of that type of abrupt defensive adjustment. 

However, the one thing that I am reasonably sure of it this:

When Royce Lewis makes his MLB Debut... It most likely won't be out of spring training with a static starting job to himself.

It will most likely come after an injury that requires a replacement and you don't know where the injury is going to occur. Lewis may be ready for call up with his bat and playing everyday at SS in Rochester when the MLB 2B gets hurt. 

Welcome to the majors Royce... You are in the lineup tonight at a position you have never played before. 

Again, I'm not afraid of that specific need based move... Just wondering if a little preparation before hand at the minor league level increases options for both the club and player.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 06:52 PM

I absolutely understand your logic and I don't disagree that players can be moved to different positions quickly. As a matter of fact.. players are moved to different positions quickly all the time. I'm not afraid of that type of abrupt defensive adjustment. 

However, the one thing that I am reasonably sure of it this:

When Royce Lewis makes his MLB Debut... It most likely won't be out of spring training with a static starting job to himself.

It will most likely come after an injury that requires a replacement and you don't know where the injury is going to occur. Lewis may be ready for call up with his bat and playing everyday at SS in Rochester when the MLB 2B gets hurt. 

Welcome to the majors Royce... You are in the lineup tonight at a position you have never played before. 

Again, I'm not afraid of that specific need based move... Just wondering if a little preparation before hand at the minor league level increases options for both the club and player.

If Rocco’s willing to put Arraez in a major league lineup at a position he’s never played in his life, he won’t bat an eye at doing so with Lewis if the situation necessitated it...recognizing that Lewis, by all accounts, is in a completely different class athletically than is Arraez. But yes, I’m sure the Twins don’t really mind seeing him play a handful of games in the AFL at different positions.
  • Riverbrian and gagu like this

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:30 AM

If Rocco’s willing to put Arraez in a major league lineup at a position he’s never played in his life, he won’t bat an eye at doing so with Lewis if the situation necessitated it...recognizing that Lewis, by all accounts, is in a completely different class athletically than is Arraez. But yes, I’m sure the Twins don’t really mind seeing him play a handful of games in the AFL at different positions.

As usual, I'm talking in broad strokes. I have no idea what Royce Lewis is defensively. I've read reports but I typically don't take a ton of stock in those reports when I'm not sure who is writing them. However, with him playing other positions in Arizona (which I'm all for) it suggests that there are better defensive shortstops available. 

If that's the case (not saying it is). I only see benefit to both Royce and the organization if he can play multiple positions in Rochester. Develop a super utility player like Marwin, Like Bellinger, Like Bryant. A guy who can play every day and play at whatever position the team needs him to play each day.  

Personally, I believe the Twins will have similar depth next year to what they had this year. We need Marwin, Arraez, Astudillo and Adrianza just to get through the season. 

I agree that Baldelli was fearless when it came to moving Arraez around to get him AB's (he had to) and I love it because I love depth and the required flexibility that comes with depth.

However... despite my happiness for this willingness... I'm wondering why they wouldn't prepare in advance for it at the minor league level... instead of cold at the MLB level, even if I'm not afraid of cold. 

Bellinger is an amazing player and it's hard to lower his value at all... but he is indeed less valuable to the Dodgers if he was limited to only playing 1B because Muncy would have to play less as a result once you lock him into 1B throwing away Bellinger's flexibility.  

When Lewis knocks the door down with his bat... We don't know what position we will need him to play. We don't know who will get hurt to open a roster spot. 

If Lewis was Tatis like defensively at SS... Never mind... let him stay at SS. Then you start prepping Polanco to play other positions because Lewis is going to take his spot at SS. If Lewis is average at SS and he can make catches with the range he showed in the video above. He's is more valuable than Bellinger is defensively.  

I'd start making him a Bellinger at the minor league level and then wait for that bat to finish cooking. 

And I say this... not knowing what Lewis is capable of as a defensive player. I really have no idea. Just a fundamental discussion.  

• DocBauer and HrbekRules like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#30 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

As usual, I'm talking in broad strokes. I have no idea what Royce Lewis is defensively. I've read reports but I typically don't take a ton of stock in those reports when I'm not sure who is writing them. However, with him playing other positions in Arizona (which I'm all for) it suggests that there are better defensive shortstops available. 

If that's the case (not saying it is). I only see benefit to both Royce and the organization if he can play multiple positions in Rochester. Develop a super utility player like Marwin, Like Bellinger, Like Bryant. A guy who can play every day and play at whatever position the team needs him to play each day.  

Personally, I believe the Twins will have similar depth next year to what they had this year. We need Marwin, Arraez, Astudillo and Adrianza just to get through the season. 

I agree that Baldelli was fearless when it came to moving Arraez around to get him AB's (he had to) and I love it because I love depth and the required flexibility that comes with depth.

However... despite my happiness for this willingness... I'm wondering why they wouldn't prepare in advance for it at the minor league level... instead of cold at the MLB level, even if I'm not afraid of cold. 

Bellinger is an amazing player and it's hard to lower his value at all... but he is indeed less valuable to the Dodgers if he was limited to only playing 1B because Muncy would have to play less as a result once you lock him into 1B throwing away Bellinger's flexibility.  

When Lewis knocks the door down with his bat... We don't know what position we will need him to play. We don't know who will get hurt to open a roster spot. 

If Lewis was Tatis like defensively at SS... Never mind... let him stay at SS. Then you start prepping Polanco to play other positions because Lewis is going to take his spot at SS. If Lewis is average at SS and he can make catches with the range he showed in the video above. He's is more valuable than Bellinger is defensively.  

I'd start making him a Bellinger at the minor league level and then wait for that bat to finish cooking. 

And I say this... not knowing what Lewis is capable of as a defensive player. I really have no idea. Just a fundamental discussion.  

The way to ensure that Lewis is NOT as defensively flexible as he could be in the majors, would be to waste significant time developing him at 2nd, 3rd, and center field in the minors, to later find out you want/need him to play every-day SS in the majors. SS is by far (other than catcher) the most difficult position to play from a technical standpoint. The Twins will be smart to let that development run it's coarse before moving him around significantly.

Edited by jkcarew, 01 October 2019 - 11:04 AM.

• gagu likes this

#31 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,290 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

The way to ensure that Lewis is NOT as defensively flexible as he could be in the majors, would be to waste significant time developing him at 2nd, 3rd, and center field in the minors, to later find out you want/need him to play every-day SS in the majors. SS is by far (other than catcher) the most difficult position to play from a technical standpoint. The Twins will be smart to let that development run it's coarse before moving him around significantly.

Whatever the path it takes I guess. The end result is what I'm mostly interested in. 

If Lewis can play multiple positions... I'd like to see him utilized at multiple positions. If I have to wait until he reaches the majors to actually create that type of player. I'll have to wait until he reaches the majors.:)

• Mike Sixel likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, jorge polanco, luis arraez, miguel sano, marwin gonzalez