Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/22): Twins Offense Erupts for Twelve Runs Over Royals

miguel sano nelson cruz martin perez jorge polanco eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,243 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

(Note: I tried to add smiley faces to show that I'm just kidding, but they didn't show up. I don't want to get hit with another warning for trying to instill some levity.)

With my Android tablet emoji buttons won't show up I have to create them the old-fashioned way with punctuation marks. Oh the drudgery :-)!

#42 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

So Garver and Sano are going to combine for 85 HR in like 700 AB?

Only if they manage to hit 21 HR's over the last 6 games.
  • Shaitan likes this

#43 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,512 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

That's why he's at the end of the list. Thirteen pitchers would be a little unusual, but it may be necessary when you only have two starters you can trust? 

Yeah ... it's going to be a tough choice ... and I'm not sure about 13. And like someone above said, I think Perez will be there over Harper. But I really have no idea what the actual will be and I'm certain there will be some surprise in there.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#44 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,530 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

Only if they manage to hit 21 HR's over the last 6 games.

I meant 75, I think. But it's still wild.

#45 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 823 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

This really looks like a team staggering into the post-season ... just like the 1987 team that lost, like, its entire last week of games.

Staggering? They just won 3 out of 4 and won the series. They've won their last three series despite still dealing with a slew of injuries. If that's staggering, sign me up.

• wabene likes this

#46 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,892 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

...Are the 100 loss Royals so much better than their record?

MLB now has 4 teams with 100+ losses and 3 with 100+ wins. If Twins manage to win 4 more, will this be the first time MLB has had 4 100+ winners and losers in one season?

The Royals have won 36.3% of their games this year. In the recent series against the Twins, they won 25% of the games. I'd say they're exactly as good as their record. Average probability of a team with the Royals record of getting swept in a 4-game series? 16%. Average probability of a team with the Tigers record of being swept in a 3-game series? 35%. (So for an 'excellent' team...sweeping even the Tigers in a 3-game set is a coin flip, at best.)

The extreme records are a symptom of the unprecedented tanking in the league, IMO. Those marginal wins that would go to 'normal' bad teams are not being recorded by tanking teams...they get spread around the league with the better teams gobbling up more than their share. 

• wabene likes this

#47 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 412 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

My 'eyes' would say, if I dropped in from outer space and watched this past series...and saw the guys the Royals have, I would not think of them as a 100 loss team. they just seem better than that...at least against us...we never seem to be able to just 'blow them away'. (is that a function of them or us!!!)

(I think Garver and Sano combine for 65 HR's, right?)

Do I think Tigers are as bad a s 109 losses? Indeed, And I hope the Twins have no problems adding to that total.

#48 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

Perez is the only Twins pitcher that has loogy potential. Neither Thorpe or Smeltzer are better vs LHB. But I’m not sure that will be enough go get him on the roster. If only there was a guy that could have been used in that role...

Maybe you've lost me, but it sounds like you've been clamoring someone. Did we get rid of a loogy this year that I don't remember?

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#49 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:44 PM

Maybe you've lost me, but it sounds like you've been clamoring someone. Did we get rid of a loogy this year that I don't remember?

The Twins acquired Ryan O’Rourke in August. And inexplicably didn’t add him to the roster despite not having any other loogys.

#50 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,881 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:58 PM

Hate to pile on the kid, but very disappointed in Romero. His stuff is HARD and NASTY, both FB and slider. His stuff has real life and good movement. But it has to be thrown for strikes more often to actually do anything. Watching him it looks like he's trying to spot the ball instead of keeping it in the zone and letting the natural movement take over.

A lot of better and more experienced eyes here than mine. It just looks like "don't think, just throw the ball" might go a long way here.
  • ashbury likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#51 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 823 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

Hate to pile on the kid, but very disappointed in Romero. His stuff is HARD and NASTY, both FB and slider. His stuff has real life and good movement. But it has to be thrown for strikes more often to actually do anything. Watching him it looks like he's trying to spot the ball instead of keeping it in the zone and letting the natural movement take over.

A lot of better and more experienced eyes here than mine. It just looks like "don't think, just throw the ball" might go a long way here.

The tools are there, but it's like he just doesn't really know how to pitch. terrific velocity with some movement on the fastball. A nasty hard slider that's hard to hit. He's got some weapons, but maybe he just can't control it?

I'm glad to see him getting some time so we can see what he looks like against MLB hitters, but clearly he's got a ways to go. Maybe working with the MLB staff and getting plenty of video on him will help them develop the right offseason program for him?

#52 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

Freddie Toliver comes to mind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, nelson cruz, martin perez, jorge polanco, eddie rosario