Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/22): Twins Offense Erupts for Twelve Runs Over Royals

miguel sano nelson cruz martin perez jorge polanco eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 nokomismod

nokomismod

Twins & Gophers

• 469 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

Now the question is - who fears a Berrios, Dobnak, Odorizzi trio in the playoffs?

I don't think any team does, but the Twins lineup can outscore some other pitchers. Please give Thorpe and Smeltzer a shot at replacing Gibson and Perez.

• jokin, mikelink45, Don Walcott and 1 other like this

#22 rkevin

rkevin

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:40 PM

Cruz hits #40 of the year and #400 for his career. That, to me, is the coolest moment of the year! Just an overall class act and definitely a player to root for. He deserves the accolades. Hopefully this team can bring him a championship ring too. :)

• Jerr, SwainZag, Sconnie and 4 others like this

#23 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 54 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

Wow - Perez has officially joined Gibson as pitchers we do not want to see in the post season.

KC has to wonder why the Twins have the winning record and not them.We sure make them feel good about themselves.

Berrios really did not do well no matter how we twist the facts in his last outing and Odo cannot go more than 5.Then we have the independent league pitcher and no one else.Does anyone feel good about this going into the playoffs?

The Brewers tried to BP the games last year.It does not work in the playoffs. 

Now the question is - who fears a Berrios, Dobnak, Odorizzi trio in the playoffs?

The Brewers were one game away from a World Series appearance. I would say it's a fairly small sample size, but to say it doesn't work seems a bit disingenuous. 

• Riverbrian, jokin, dbminn and 7 others like this

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#24 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 507 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

The offense needs to go into every playoff game assuming it needs 10 runs.....

Let the homerun derby begin!

• rkevin likes this

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

The Brewers were one game away from a World Series appearance. I would say it's a fairly small sample size, but to say it doesn't work seems a bit disingenuous. 

Disingenuous a bit?It seems inevitable that it's bound to happen. The Brewers came just "this" close.

Small market teams like the Royals took the first baby steps towards the trend, last year the Brewers, and now the Rays qnd Twins (albeit almost via necessity and accidental and unfortunate circumstances) have shown the way to potentially overcome the financial handicaps of hoping to compete as a small market team- get some shutdown pitchers for the late innings that are still cost-effective in their arb years, collect a secondary group of RPs both internally and externally with varying pedigrees (but still on the cheap), and avoid putting any significant sunk costs into expensive and sparkly FA SPs that will hamper your financial flexibility for other needs (or cripple it should they blow up via injury, ineffectiveness or suspensions).

• Riverbrian and MN_ExPat like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#26 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• 1,033 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:47 AM

Brewers also had a better bullpen than the Twins. 

• h2oface, mikelink45 and adorduan like this

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.

#27 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,345 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:43 AM

This really looks like a team staggering into the post-season ... just like the 1987 team that lost, like, its entire last week of games.

After they clinched their division.
  • Riverbrian, PDX Twin and MN_ExPat like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#28 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,954 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:55 AM

Four game lead, six to go....I'll take it.

This entire year we have watched a team do things that have never been done before in this very old game.Got a feeling we are going to see things next week we also have never seen before...like not having a starting pitcher in two of the first four games?

#29 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 327 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

I think Smeltzer should also be considered as a possible starter. He can pitch more than 2 or 3 innings and right now looks to be more effective than Gib, Perez, and a few of the bullpen pitchers, who are summarily playing themselves off the team.

Milwaukee was not a total failure with their bullpen usage in the playoffs last year. Might be our only hope.

Was not at all surprised by Romero's awful outing...he has been awful all year with zero command of whatever stuff he allegedly has. but Romo did surprise me with his lack of control.

Will Twins hold Kepler out all week? Has Wade displaced Cave? Will Twins bring 12 or 13 pitchers to round one (assuming they get there) Will they leave Perez and/or Gibson off the roster for round one?

Does Astudillo get a slot? Are we very pleased at how Marwin jumped back into play demonstrating his value to the team? Is Adrianza done? Anyone concerned with Rocco's use of his bullpen?

Can Twins not choke against the 109 loss Tigers? Are the 100 loss Royals so much better than their record?

MLB now has 4 teams with 100+ losses and 3 with 100+ wins. If Twins manage to win 4 more, will this be the first time MLB has had 4 100+ winners and losers in one season?

• nokomismod, Don Walcott, rdehring and 1 other like this

#30 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

Playoff pitchers?

Starters:

1. Berrios

2. Odorizzi

"Bullpen Game" Starters:

3. Dobnak

4. Smeltzer

5. Thorpe

Bullpen:

6. Rogers

7. Romo

8. Duffey

9. May

10. Littell

11. Stashak

12. Graterol

13. Harper

• Don Walcott and MN_ExPat like this

#31 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,345 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:57 AM

Playoff pitchers?

Starters:

1. Berrios

2. Odorizzi

"Bullpen Game" Starters:

3. Dobnak

4. Smeltzer

5. Thorpe

Bullpen:

6. Rogers

7. Romo

8. Duffey

9. May

10. Littell

11. Stashak

12. Graterol

13. Harper

I'm not sure Harper makes it.

• denarded, pbrezeasap, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#32 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 699 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

Playoff pitchers?

Starters:
1. Berrios
2. Odorizzi

"Bullpen Game" Starters:
3. Dobnak
4. Smeltzer
5. Thorpe

Bullpen:
6. Rogers
7. Romo
8. Duffey
9. May
10. Littell
11. Stashak
12. Graterol
13. Harper

My guess is that Perez would make it before Harper. Seems like a reasonable list, though.
  • pbrezeasap and wabene like this

#33 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

I'm not sure Harper makes it.

That's why he's at the end of the list. Thirteen pitchers would be a little unusual, but it may be necessary when you only have two starters you can trust? 

#34 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 707 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

If the Twins re-sign Cruz and then sign five good starters through trades or free agency, they will be a force next year.

(Note: I tried to add smiley faces to show that I'm just kidding, but they didn't show up. I don't want to get hit with another warning for trying to instill some levity.)
  • Don Walcott and rkevin like this

#35 Number3

Number3

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 512 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

Not that anyone including Miguel cares, but I take back any negatives I have uttered/posted about Sano.

Not only has he shown durability as an every day player but his offensive production has been in more and more critical situations. Maybe the grand slam against the Indians was the biggest hit of the season.

I hope its Twins/Yankees in the ALDS. If so, the real pressure is on the Yankees, not the Twins. I hope the Twins just play loose and pitchers challenge the Yankees hitters. Don't nibble. Solo homers are fine. Its 2 walks and a homer that must be avoided.

• Don Walcott, MN_ExPat and wabene like this

#36 Freddie Knuckles

Freddie Knuckles

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

Well there are some positives here. One is that Duffy has become the Twins best bullpen choice, passing Rogers. Plus Duffy seems immune to extra usage. The other good news is that that there are no amounts of weaknesses that a dozen runs a game won't cover! :)

Unfortunately the weakness some call "the Yankees" wont be covered by 12 runs.

#37 Freddie Knuckles

Freddie Knuckles

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

The Brewers tried to BP the games last year.It does not work in the playoffs. 

I mean they made it to the NLCS and pushed one of the best teams in baseball to 7 games but it apparently doesn't work? If you bullpen a game you're likely covering up a deficiency. If you can cover up a deficiency as glaring as our starting pitching and somehow make it to game 7 of the CS then i'd argue it works REALLY well. 

• Don Walcott and Jacks02 like this

#38 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,388 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

Wow - Perez has officially joined Gibson as pitchers we do not want to see in the post season.

KC has to wonder why the Twins have the winning record and not them.We sure make them feel good about themselves.

Berrios really did not do well no matter how we twist the facts in his last outing and Odo cannot go more than 5.Then we have the independent league pitcher and no one else.Does anyone feel good about this going into the playoffs?

The Brewers tried to BP the games last year.It does not work in the playoffs

Actually, it kind of did work. They swept the Rockies in three games, and took the Dodgers to 7 in a very tight NLCS. They were very close to making the World Series with that formula.

I'm not saying it will work for us, but it's probably our best shot at this point.

• mikelink45, MN_ExPat and wabene like this

#39 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,431 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

So Garver and Sano are going to combine for 85 HR in like 700 AB?

• wabene likes this

#40 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,704 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

Perez is the only Twins pitcher that has loogy potential. Neither Thorpe or Smeltzer are better vs LHB. But I’m not sure that will be enough go get him on the roster. If only there was a guy that could have been used in that role...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: miguel sano, nelson cruz, martin perez, jorge polanco, eddie rosario