Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins May Pick a Postseason Specialty

minnesota twins lamonte wade jr ian miller terrance gore new york yankees
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 92 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:30 AM

Given the likelihood that the Twins pen is covering the last four innings of an Odorizzi start, the last five of a Perez start, and then potentially a whole game since Gibby looks sick/lost, I'm hoping the Twins carry as many pitchers as possible. They'll need the starting 9 plus Schoop and Castro. Cave is a 4th OF because you don't want Arraez out there. But then, I want 13 pitchers. Yeah Wade and Miller are nice weapons but the Twins may need all the arms they can get, especially if any game goes to extras.

I totally agree with your premise, but if we need 13 pitchers in a 5 game series we're not winning. I like 14 position players and 11 pitchers. Maximum flexibility in a short series is a must I think. I am counting on Rocco going longer with Jose & Odo - and counting on these 2 guys for 7 or 8 innings - and if the series goes 5, these 2 will pitch 3 of the games. I am also counting on Duffy, Rogers & Romo to appear in all 5. Also, I don't see Rocco playing Arraez in LF in a playoff game. 5 man bench of Castro, Cave, Austudillo, Schoop & Wade. 

#22 JW24

JW24

• 178 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:47 AM

I totally agree with your premise, but if we need 13 pitchers in a 5 game series we're not winning. I like 14 position players and 11 pitchers. Maximum flexibility in a short series is a must I think. I am counting on Rocco going longer with Jose & Odo - and counting on these 2 guys for 7 or 8 innings - and if the series goes 5, these 2 will pitch 3 of the games. I am also counting on Duffy, Rogers & Romo to appear in all 5. Also, I don't see Rocco playing Arraez in LF in a playoff game. 5 man bench of Castro, Cave, Austudillo, Schoop & Wade. 

Starting pitchers tend to have a quicker hook in the post season than in the regular season. It would be nice to count on Berrios and Odo to work deep into games, but recently Berrios has been a bit of a question mark and Odo has gotten outs in the 7th inning just twice this year (and only did it twice last year). I am hoping you are correct, and both Berrios and Odo are capable of turning in great outings, but I think a deep pen will be crucial.

• ashbury, Danchat and In My La-Z-boy like this

#23 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 150 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

These are the 22 givens

1. Berrios

2. Odorizzi

3. Perez

4. Rogers

5. Romo

6. Duffey

7. May

8. Littel

9. Smeltzer

10. Thorpe

11. Dobnak

1. Sano

2. Polanco

3. Arraez

4. Schoop

5. Cron

6. Garver

7. Castro

8. Cruz

9. Kepler

10. Rosario

11. Gonzalez

So you're down to three spots and you're choosing between position players Cave, Astudillo, Wade, Miller, LaMarre, and Torreyes or pitchers Stewart, Hildy, Harper, Romero, Alcala, and Graterol.

* We can cross out Hildy and Harper, they've been lapped in the pen.

* Cave is the obvious first choice since they need a 4th OF who played it in the minors.

* If you take two more position players you'd go Astudillo or Wade?

* I have to think the pitchers who are possibilities , ranked in order, would be Graterol and Romero

* Gibson is the wild card. I find it hard to think the Twins won't keep him on the roster if healthy, even as a long reliever in an extra inning game. There's a human factor to this.

So I guess I'd bet on Cave, Graterol, and Gibson. If they shut Gibson down, I'd add Wade. But could be very wrong.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#24 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,722 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

I like it. I think the last 3 are Cave (OF/LH PH), Graterol (BP) and Gibson if he plays, Astudillo as a 3rd C and PH if he doesn't. I think Wade only gets in if Cave or Kepler is still hurt.

We are going to need at least 12 pitchers in the playoffs. With Gibson and Perexz both faltering we are going to have have at least 2 bullpen games out of 5 (I count the Perez start where he goes 3 or 4 if we're lucky as a bullpen game) so we are going to need all of Dobnak, Smeltzer and Thorpe.With the 3 starters (if you count Perez), the top 5 short guys and those 3, we're still probably one short so I would add Graterol. 

#25 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 287 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

Are LaMarre and Torreyes even eligible? I don't think so.

I'm in favor of 13 position players and 12 pitchers. (3 starters and 9 in the pen) If they can't get it done with 12 pitchers, they probably don't belong in post season. Hindenburg, Harper and Romero are definite 'no's'.

Position players: Miller is a no. Cave might be on the bubble, as is Astudillo and Wade. But if our injuries don't heal, we will need them all. Kepler, Cron and Adrianza may not be ready to play full out.

Cave has stopped hitting. Castro has stopped hitting. Cron has stopped hitting. And the Turtle is struggling. Choose the poison. I want the most versatile players in a 5 game series.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

Are LaMarre and Torreyes even eligible? I don't think so.
I'm in favor of 13 position players and 12 pitchers. (3 starters and 9 in the pen) If they can't get it done with 12 pitchers, they probably don't belong in post season. Hindenburg, Harper and Romero are definite 'no's'.
Position players: Miller is a no. Cave might be on the bubble, as is Astudillo and Wade. But if our injuries don't heal, we will need them all. Kepler, Cron and Adrianza may not be ready to play full out.
Cave has stopped hitting. Castro has stopped hitting. Cron has stopped hitting. And the Turtle is struggling. Choose the poison. I want the most versatile players in a 5 game series.

They would need a waiver for Torreyes, but he should be. I don’t think he makes the roster even if Adrianza doesn’t though. He’ll be kept around in case an infielder gets hurt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, lamonte wade jr, ian miller, terrance gore, new york yankees