Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: The Underappreciated, Hard-Luck Legacy of Kyle Gibson

kyle gibson
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,507 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:55 AM

Given what he's dealing with righ tnow, I really think he should be shut down. Nothing against the guy, I hope he gets his condition under control and has several more good MLB seasons... but right now his health needs to be his priority. 

• nicksaviking, brvama, LA VIkes Fan and 7 others like this

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,853 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:14 AM

Do folks think the FO wont try to keep him?
Why?
I dont have great confidence in the guy but he's a fine #4 or #5 guy.

If he could be kept for reasonable amount of $$ and years do it.

It will all depend on his health... We will have PLENTY of time to discuss bringing him back or not. If free agency continues the way it has been it will move at a snail's pace.

Given Gibson's age and health situation there won't be a line out the door bidding for him until Feb/March.

The Twins can spend the winter aiming higher, and if they miss, bring back Gibson.
  • SF Twins Fan and MN_ExPat like this

#23 Strato Guy

Strato Guy

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

I remember coaching a pitcher once who had all the talent in the world, but he was his own worst enemy. He would over-analyze everything and would be prone to giving up multiple runs. He suddenly couldn't throw strikes and he would implode. I wonder if Gibby is much the same way. He has the stuff and can be pitching well, but he is prone to having the bad inning. I don't think Gibson loses command. Or maybe I should say that his own mind causes him to lose his command. I do not think this is a medical issue at this point. The stuff is there, but the results are not. The mental part of the game should not be discounted.

• birdwatcher likes this

#24 sloopjont

sloopjont

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:44 AM

Mike Sixel
Yesterday, 10:58 PM
I have always been a bit of a fan. Plus he's the kind of person that seems like he's a good human.

Yes, in his mission work, which cost him his health (and from getting sick doing it probably millions of dollars). Gibson has truly chosen the better part.

• birdwatcher, brvama, LA VIkes Fan and 5 others like this

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,025 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:03 AM

I've never liked Gibson very much. Sure, he's an average MLB pitcher and I know it's good to have those guys on your team.But frankly....Gibby's not very fun to watch.

He's got to be one of the slowest workers in the game. We're talking about a minute between pitches. It feels like 10 minutes per batter. When he struggles, the half-inning can take 30 minutes or more. His bad outings get magnified because they're so painful to watch.

Another star-crossed Twin is Byron Buxton. But fans seem to be much more in Byron's corner, because it's fun to watch him play. Gibson's brand of pitching, on the other hand, is one of the reasons MLB is testing out a "pitch clock" in the minors right now. 

I know he's a good dude and I've got nothing against the guy personally. But Gibson's slow pace (and mediocre career numbers) haven't won him any fans.

Edited by bighat, 20 September 2019 - 08:05 AM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#26 JW24

JW24

• 181 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:07 AM

Given what he's dealing with righ tnow, I really think he should be shut down. Nothing against the guy, I hope he gets his condition under control and has several more good MLB seasons... but right now his health needs to be his priority. 

I would be curious if the Pineda suspension has resulted in the Twins reluctance to shut Kyle down. I imagine Gibson wants to be out there pitching and helping his team, and even more so after losing Pineda for the rest of the season. I have a ton of respect for him battling through his ailments all season and never once using it as an excuse. He is a true professional.

I feel terrible for Kyle. I hope he is able to regain his health this offseason. I am sure he does not take for granted being able to put on a Twins uniform every day, and I hope he can be healthy enough to do it again next year.

• birdwatcher, adjacent, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,471 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

I don't know what caused or kicked up his disease. There are several forms of it and every one is different.I know this, in many forms stress kicks up the disease, it is unfortunate, but time to move on, since their is no cure and do not think with baseball as the profession, that he will ever by healthy for a long stretch of time again.

#28 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,683 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:15 AM

I don't know what caused or kicked up his disease. There are several forms of it and every one is different.I know this, in many forms stress kicks up the disease, it is unfortunate, but time to move on, since their is no cure and do not think with baseball as the profession, that he will ever by healthy for a long stretch of time again.

I read that there is a link between e.coli and diseases such as ulcerative colitis. And I'm guessing that was the beginning of it. He said he was dealing with it all season, so the timing makes sense. It's so unfortunate for him. Just when he is putting it together ... stuff happens. I guess that's life and nothing is a for sure thing, but he's certainly had his share of it.

• birdwatcher and wabene like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#29 spycake

spycake

• 16,787 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:24 AM

they shoulda drafted mike trout. 

Ok only one of Trout and Gibson is currently on the IL so think again.

Technically Trout isn't on the IL either, so I'd say it's a wash between him and Gibson. :)

• HitInAPinch likes this

#30 TerwilligerBuntsOne

TerwilligerBuntsOne

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:09 AM

My guess is that we just witnessed Gibson's last start in a Twins uniform, and he may be a bullpen option in October. He may end up as a #4/5 starter for someone on a cheap 'prove it' deal. However, I am not sure that there will be a long line of teams calling on him. 

His legacy as a Twin will be complicated.By all accounts, a true asset to the community off the field.However, a career of mixed results. The recent illness situation is unfortunate. He is often his own worst enemy, as he is prone to nibbling at the corners rather than attacking the strike zone.

As far as #4/5 options for next year, I would think that Falvine would first look at some of the young guns in waiting -- who will also be cheaper -- someone that is more likely to fit the mold of attacking the strike zone.

• Dman and bighat like this

#31 BD57

BD57

• 193 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:15 AM

Following up ...

I have no ill-will toward Kyle.By every appearance, he's a good man, someone you'd want representing your baseball team off the field, and I've never read a word about him being anything other than a good teammate.

He had a run where he was a very effective pitcher - it looked like he'd figured things out, gotten some "swagger," some belief in his stuff, where he'd go after hitters and get them out.

That's gone now, and has been for a while.He pitches as if he believes every single mistake he makes is going to wind up in the upper deck; he just doesn't seem to believe his stuff is good enough to get guys out.

Long time ago, I heard Frank Viola tell a story, about when he was "green," wondering it he could get major league hitters out, and having trouble throwing strikes because of it.His catcher at the time - whoever it was - basically told him "we're throwing it down the middle, whatever we throw tonight." Frank complied, discovered his "stuff" was pretty good, and gained the confidence to go after hitters.

Once Frank got to where he wasn't so afraid of making mistakes, he made fewer of them, and his "good stuff" became even more effective.

Kyle simply doesn't believe in what he's doing.At least, that's what I see.

Edited by BD57, 20 September 2019 - 09:16 AM.

• lukeduke1980 and bighat like this

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,853 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Could be a reason why Gibson is under appreciated. Too many meh to bad starts sprinkled in with some gems.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, Danchat and 9 others like this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,554 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

It will all depend on his health... We will have PLENTY of time to discuss bringing him back or not. If free agency continues the way it has been it will move at a snail's pace.

Given Gibson's age and health situation there won't be a line out the door bidding for him until Feb/March.

The Twins can spend the winter aiming higher, and if they miss, bring back Gibson.

This. Plus, a team that wants to spend as little as they do can't afford to pay more than minimum for a number five pitcher, as some call him.

It's all about health at this point.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#34 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

As a human being, Gibson is awesome. Really, a terrific guy.

In the current state of his pitching/baseball career, he is bad. Watching him struggle against one of THE worst teams in baseball, just inexcusable at this point. However, I blame some of this on Baldelli and the management for allowing Gibson to pitch in a meaningful game, given what he has/is dealing with physically. All things considered, Gibson pitching last night was pure negligence by Baldelli and his staff.

I am a fan, for the most part, of Baldelli and what he has shown as a manager, but it is decisions like these that make me shake my head. Slide Smeltzer or Thorpe into Gibson's spot in the rotation, and go from there. Gibson shouldn't be on the playoff roster either at this point.

• bighat likes this

#35 Florida Loggerman

Florida Loggerman

Elizabethton Twins

• 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

most of this is on Gibson himself to ask to be taken off the roster now!He is very medically ill, and this has totally controlled his entire being along with not allowing him to be a average pitcher for the club. So, if Gibson doesn't tell the Twins to take him off the everyday roster so he can focus on his health, the Twins need to tell him after last nights debacle that he is being removed from the playing roster, and of course as well as not being on the playoff roster either.as far as next season, yes, I think he would be ok as a #4=5 starter, but how did that work out again for us thinking the exact same thing with Perez??? Perez was solid early in the season, but when the weather as well as the hitters heated up, Perez also has really struggled to be considered a option for brining back for next season.Gibson, No for next year, time to move on, Perez, I like him but just not enough to hold down a everyday pitching roster spot, I'd prefer to have the Littel's, Thorpe, Smeltzer, etc, play for youth, and that gives at least some future options, with Gibson and Perez, we already know both of these guys issues and for sure there struggles when the season is warming up and these arms are expected to at least make it through the 5th inning without putting his team behind early. 

#36 etwink

etwink

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

Oooh, I really hate the idea that we need to give a guy a break because he’s “hard luck”. The dude is making millions and the FO needs to decide if he’s worth, essentially, a whopping raise (due to experience) when he’s ending the season in such an awful way. The one thing in his favor is that our minor league system doesn’t seem to be able to churn out capable starting pitching on a consistent basis. I mean it’s been Gibson and Berríos and then.....uh....wait it’s coming to me....right, no one. So, given that the league has figured out Perez and the FO is going to have to decide whether to bring back Pineda....Gibson might just be a good bounce-back candidate.
But I’m not going with the emotion of Gibson being hard-luck, any more than Buxton being hard-luck. You play with what you got and right now Gibson isn’t maximizing what he’s got.
  • mikelink45 likes this
🇨🇮

#37 spanman2

spanman2

• 262 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

He has been a professional in every sense of the word and represents the franchise well.Overall I would say his career has been that of an average MLB pitcher.If I were the FO i would have conversation about him getting healed up/rested up and staying well this offseason.i would offer him a 2 year deal.My guess is that he is/would be a great teacher/example for the young arms coming up.He would be a solid 4th or 5th starter if we enhance the staff in the offseason.Do we resign Odo/Big Mike add etc?Several decisions need to be made on that front.If he wants to explore more than a 2 year deal I would wish him the best in that endeavor.WIN TWINS!

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#38 Strato Guy

Strato Guy

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

Does anyone here remember the conversation Paul Molitor had with Gibson on the mound in the summer of 2017? Gibson was pitching that day much like he had the first half of the year. He was not having a good year and was nibbling too much. At least, as memory serves, Moliy thought so and chewed him out on a trip to the mound. Molly was much more animated than usual, so you could see something unusual was going on. Anyway, Gibson started throwing his 4-seam fastball more and threw it for strikes. He challenged hitters more and started to pitch much better after that mound visit! Not only in that particular game, but for the rest of the year.

• DocBauer, HitInAPinch and Wyotwinsfan like this

#39 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,142 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

He may end up as a #4/5 starter for someone on a cheap 'prove it' deal. However, I am not sure that there will be a long line of teams calling on him. 

And this is one reason I don't see him back with the Twins. Historically, all MLB players want to test the market when they finally get free of team control. And they don't like it when the team who just controlled them gives them a low offer. Even if it's justified for medical reasons.

• bighat likes this

#40 adorduan

adorduan

• 691 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

A small point but arbitration can cause issues between club and player, but Gibson took his arbitration loss and moved on.a couple of quotes about it.

“We all are very fortunate in here.”

“At the end of the day, I’ve got a job. I’m surrounded by a lot of good people who care about me and I’m still going to make a great salary to play baseball,” he said. “It’s a win-loss situation that I’m still pretty satisfied with.”

• brvama, tarheeltwinsfan and bighat like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson