Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs KC 4:40 PM PST (6:40 PM CDT) 9/19/19

game thread twins hawt taeks
  • Please log in to reply
692 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

The Twins took two steps forward toward the goal of winning the division during the series of games against the Sox. Unfortunately, after that second step, the Twins paused and, well, Cleveland decided they need to keep pace. It's hard to watch when one can almost touch or see the Twins with the division title.

*So whatif I had to reach a bit to fit in this song.

On the upside, if the Twins keep trucking on they should win the division.

Now, KC is in town and the Twin will need to keep moving on toward a division title.

And, with that, another chapter in series game thread openers comes to a close. Please stay tuned, as there more thrilling chapters to come!

And now, for that which we all have been waiting for, some stuff to ponder:

*A portentous list needs a pretentious opening.

1. Shag carpet: Charming relic or insanity disguised as fashion?

2. Platform shoes: Fashionable or unconscionable?

3. Bell bottom pants: To die for or to die of embarrassment for?

4: Pet rock: Clever fad or fad foolishness?

Pitching for the Twins:

Kyle Gibson

Pitching for KC:

Mike Montgomery

5. Play ball!

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, David HK and 5 others like this

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,145 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

Disclaimer: Today marks a momentous day. Today is a wedding day for the author.

No, not my wedding, Rather, my daughter will be making the walk. Therefore, the author will not be around to post lineups and if someone would be so kind as to pick up the slack, that would be grand.

Thank you.

-Blake

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, birdwatcher and 11 others like this

#3 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,850 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

This feels like a must win game. Cleveland will beat Detroit (again.) If we let them pick up another game, all bets are off.

• bighat likes this

#4 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,569 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Disclaimer: Today marks a momentous day. Today is a wedding day for the author.

No, not my wedding, Rather, my daughter will be making the walk. Therefore, the author will not be around to post lineups and if someone would be so kind as to pick up the slack, that would be grand.

Thank you.

-Blake

Congrats!

Did ya make it to the church on time?

With a little bit of luck... the Twins might win?
  • Blake and David HK like this

#5 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,063 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

These are the games that everyone's been pointing to since August.

"Don't worry", they've been saying. "Twins draw KC at the end of the year, these are automatic wins and the division is locked up!"

Okay then. So here we are. Time to go collect an automatic win tonight. It's in the bag, right?

#6 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 277 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

I will have to watch the game on replay after work tonite which is ok. Twins need to win every night, hit 300 or more Bombas and have everyone healthy for Oct. Is Gonzalez hurt again? I can't wait till Fri night when we are going to the game! Gibson is pitching so I have nothing more to say....
  • bighat likes this

#7 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

This feels like a must win game. 

I'm not picking on you, howeda, when I say this ... but I have seen this throughout the season ... that this is a 'must win' game. I think every game is a must win in that we need to accumulate wins, not that it's dire. I don't really believe in the 'must' unless we are on the verge of elimination. Go out and win as many as we can, that's my directive, not that it's a 'must' situation. It hasn't been a must situation all season long. The must only comes in, as I said, if we are on the verge of elimination. We aren't. Yeah, I'd feel better knowing we were already there. And yeah, stuff can still happen, badly. And yeah, we could win the next 4 and Cleveland lose the next 3 and we'd be done. But ... a must win? Wasn't then, isn't now. But we still need to win as many as we still can. So ... win already, Twins! :)

• Blake, stringer bell, DocBauer and 2 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#8 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,097 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

The Twins could have used Ryan McBroom last night.

• tvagle and Diesel like this

#9 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

Montgomery is the best pitcher the Twins will face in this series, which is like saying he's the prettiest pig in the peg, but Skoglund, Sparkman and Lopez are all terrible. 

• Blake, Danchat and Bomba2026 like this

#10 Musk21

Musk21

• 335 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

Lineup has been posted. Still no Kepler, Cron, or Cave...

1. C Mitch Garver ®
2. SS Jorge Polanco (S)
3. DH Nelson Cruz ®
4. RF Eddie Rosario (L)
5. 3B Miguel Sano ®
6. 1B Marwin Gonzalez (S)
7. LF Luis Arraez (L)
8. 2B Jonathan Schoop ®
9. CF Ryan LaMarre ®

• Bomba2026 likes this

#11 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,496 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

I don't think Kepler plays unless this gets down to a couple games in hand. No need to rush him back. Rather have him for a potential playoff run than have him for a couple games and he gets hurt, again.

• Danchat, DocBauer, IndianaTwin and 1 other like this

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,900 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

I'd have liked to have seen Rosario sit on the bench for a series after his inexcusable stroll out of the box admiring his double.
  • PDX Twin, wabene and Bomba2026 like this

#13 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,496 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:34 PM

I'd have liked to have seen Rosario sit on the bench for a series after his inexcusable stroll out of the box admiring his double.

Punishment can be done in different ways such as "fining" him a couple thousand or so. No need to bench our top run producer.

• Bomba2026 likes this

#14 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,850 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:45 PM

I'm not picking on you, howeda, when I say this ... but I have seen this throughout the season ... that this is a 'must win' game. I think every game is a must win in that we need to accumulate wins, not that it's dire. I don't really believe in the 'must' unless we are on the verge of elimination. Go out and win as many as we can, that's my directive, not that it's a 'must' situation. It hasn't been a must situation all season long. The must only comes in, as I said, if we are on the verge of elimination. We aren't. Yeah, I'd feel better knowing we were already there. And yeah, stuff can still happen, badly. And yeah, we could win the next 4 and Cleveland lose the next 3 and we'd be done. But ... a must win? Wasn't then, isn't now. But we still need to win as many as we still can. So ... win already, Twins! :)

I acknowledge there are different levels of must win games. Obviously this is not the highest level. But we've been on "we got this" mode since Saturday. If we lose tonight and Cleveland wins, we've basically given back everything we gained on Saturday and are back to nervous scoreboard watching and hanging on for dear life.

• SQUIRREL likes this

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,900 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:54 PM

Punishment can be done in different ways such as "fining" him a couple thousand or so. No need to bench our top run producer.

The small amount that teams are allowed to fine them under the CBA is practically pocket change for them. I can't imagine that has any affect at all.

His run production is a matter of circumstance. He's barely an above league average hitter.
I really like Rosario, but this is completely unacceptable. I don't want to hear about learning from it. He's not a rookie, it shouldn't happen in the first place.
  • Dave The Dastardly likes this

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,425 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

The small amount that teams are allowed to fine them under the CBA is practically pocket change for them. I can't imagine that has any affect at all.

His run production is a matter of circumstance. He's barely an above league average hitter.
I really like Rosario, but this is completely unacceptable. I don't want to hear about learning from it. He's not a rookie, it shouldn't happen in the first place.

I don't think players can be fined for play under the CBA.

They can be fined for off field activities, but not for bad play.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#17 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,366 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:17 PM

I don't think players can be fined for play under the CBA.

They can be fined for off field activities, but not for bad play.

This seems like something that *could* be better dealt with by teammates than by management. If Cruz, Castro, or one of the other senior players simply sat him down and said "This is not OK. You are hurting our team's chances of winning," it should be enough to make him think a little more carefully. If not, then flip him to a team that overvalues his physical skills and is willing to neglect the mistakes and flailing at balls outside the strike zone.

• SQUIRREL and wabene like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#18 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:25 PM

With Gibson pitching who knows whats to come, but we could really use a win to get off on the right foot against the Royals.I'd have a short leash tonight, and it's crowded out in the pen.Hit the ball tonight!

he gone!

#19 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

By my count the Twins are 33-16 in the first game of a series.

I say they win rather comfortably this evening.

• wabene likes this

#20 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

Gonzalez in the line up seems to give it more pizzazz IMHO.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, hawt taeks