Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Arizona Fall League Preview: Royce Lewis Headlines Twins Prospects

royce lewis dakota chalmers ben rortvedt luke raley moises gomez
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,667 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Chalmers is the one I'm most interested in....

#2 on my list.

He has a long way to go, but looks like the pure stuff is there to be a major steal.

Better control, fresh and healthy 2020, he finishes at AA???
  • Steve Lein likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:07 PM

I may have missed this, I thought Kirilloff was playing in the fall league?Is he dealing with an injury?

He was on the initial roster, but then removed for unspecified reasons. Probably giving him a rest as he dealt with ailments almost all year.

I had a hope for a second that meant the Twins were going to call him up, but alas...

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,609 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:09 AM

Royce Lewis plays the first two games at 3rd and then center field, and crashes hard into the wall in center making a great catch, and homers the next at bat. So he didn't get hurt, it seems. But he crashed into the wall hard. That's all we need...... Lewis to get hurt playing outfield. SMH. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Royce Lewis of the <a href="https://twitter.com/...f_src=twsrc^tfw">@Twins</a> showing what he can do in CF! <a href="https://t.co/iQomzQp69q">pic.twitter.com/iQomzQp69q</a></p>&mdash; MLB&#39;s Arizona Fall League (@MLBazFallLeague) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBazFallLeague/status/1174879424702926849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 20, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twi....com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry. I guess I don't know how to get the video here. Looks like the embed in website option isn't gonna work. It's on the MLB Twins site, though.

https://www.mlb.com/...mer-great-catch

Edited by h2oface, 20 September 2019 - 05:12 AM.

• jokin likes this

#24 TL

TL

• 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

Love that he is playing some CF. With analytics helping to better place infielders to where the ball is likely to go (the shift) it feels like CF may be over-taking SS as the most important defensive position. Plus with Buxton’s injury history and potential remaining bad blood due to service time manipulation he may not be long-term at CF for the Twins. From what I’ve seen written he has a chance to be an excellent CF.
  • Steve Lein, birdwatcher, jokin and 1 other like this

#25 Twinsfan12

Twinsfan12

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

Rortvedt has only played 2 innings behind plate in game 1 but Ben threw out a guy who had 33 stolen bases during the regular season. He has a cannon of an arm, and is an excellent reciever. He's starting tonight.
  • SQUIRREL, Steve Lein, birdwatcher and 1 other like this

#26 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

So Lewis has yet to start a game in the AFL at SS....hmmm.....

#27 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 187 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

Do the MLB teams have input on where they want players to play?Meaning fact Lewis is in CF is that with input, and/or approval of Twins?I believe there was talk of transition to CF one day, just wondering if that was Twins request, or manager believes different player is better at SS and wants Lewis bat in lineup.

#28 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Do the MLB teams have input on where they want players to play?Meaning fact Lewis is in CF is that with input, and/or approval of Twins?I believe there was talk of transition to CF one day, just wondering if that was Twins request, or manager believes different player is better at SS and wants Lewis bat in lineup.

In general, teams do have input on how they want the players used, but they aren't hard and fast rules unless say, they only want a coming back from injury pitcher to throw one inning and not back-to-back days (which doesn't happen in the league anyway).

I would guess the Twins want Lewis to play as much as they can get him in. With this roster that also has Jose Devers and Geraldo Perdomo on it, that means Lewis needs to be put elsewhere. Both those guys are far superior defenders at the SS position, so might as well expose Lewis to other spots.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis, dakota chalmers, ben rortvedt, luke raley, moises gomez