Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/17): Twins Win Wild Game on a Walk Off Hit-By-Pitch

twins vs white sox minnesota twins chicago white sox twins game recap twins win
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:31 AM

So, now we have a situation where Rogers, Duffey and Romo have all pitched on consecutive days and 3 of the last 4. Littell threw 40 last night. And even Trevor May has thrown 40 over the last 4 days. I would presume all 5 unavailable tonight. Smeltzer, Thorpe and Dobnak all had extended outings over the weekend. Smeltzer MIGHT be available. So, that leaves Romero, Hildenberger, Graterol, Stewart, Harper and Alcala.

Score early. Score often.
  • h2oface, Dman and DocBauer like this

#22 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:04 AM

Spahn and Sain and pray for rain. Perez, May, Duffy, Rogers, Littel, Romo, Harper and pray for A WIN !.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#23 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,653 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

crime
/krīm/

noun
an action or omission that constitutes an offense that may be prosecuted by the state and is punishable by law.
"shoplifting was a serious crime"
synonyms: offense, unlawful act, illegal act, breach/violation/infraction of the law, misdemeanor, misdeed, wrong, felony, violation, transgression, fault, injury; More
illegal activities.
"the victims of crime"
synonyms: lawbreaking, delinquency, wrongdoing, transgression, misconduct, criminality, illegality, villainy, felony, corruption; More
an action or activity that, although not illegal, is considered to be evil, shameful, or wrong.
"they condemned apartheid as a crime against humanity"
synonyms: immoral act, sin, evil, evil action, wrong, wrongdoing, atrocity, abomination, enormity, disgrace, outrage, monstrosity, violation, abuse, injustice, affront
"they condemned apartheid as a crime against humanity"

Evil, shameful, wrong, disgrace, outrage, atrocity, injustice, affront.Sounds like you're on board.

• Riverbrian likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#24 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

So, now we have a situation where Rogers, Duffey and Romo have all pitched on consecutive days and 3 of the last 4. Littell threw 40 last night. And even Trevor May has thrown 40 over the last 4 days. I would presume all 5 unavailable tonight. Smeltzer, Thorpe and Dobnak all had extended outings over the weekend. Smeltzer MIGHT be available. So, that leaves Romero, Hildenberger, Graterol, Stewart, Harper and Alcala...

Big opportunity for a Brusdar breakout. But don't forget, they also used 6 relievers, and three more threw 36 pitches over 3.2 innings the night before.

AMEN!

• blindeke likes this

#25 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,121 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:13 AM

There is only one thing to say after a game like that ...

SQUIRREL!

You're a nut. Or, maybe a Mounds?

• Bomba2026 likes this

#26 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 467 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:13 AM

So, now we have a situation where Rogers, Duffey and Romo have all pitched on consecutive days and 3 of the last 4. Littell threw 40 last night. And even Trevor May has thrown 40 over the last 4 days. I would presume all 5 unavailable tonight. Smeltzer, Thorpe and Dobnak all had extended outings over the weekend. Smeltzer MIGHT be available. So, that leaves Romero, Hildenberger, Graterol, Stewart, Harper and Alcala.

True - but they also put another win in the bank.

A win would be great today, but they already won the series and this has been the blueprint for most of the season.

It would be nice to get some good more innings out of Odo, get a nice lead and let Alcala make is big league debut.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, SwainZag and 5 others like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#27 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,656 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

We scored early and often last night, too.

All I want is just one more run than them ... no more, no less.
  • Dantes929, bighat and MN_ExPat like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,288 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:20 AM

Last walk off HBP in MLB?

8-31-17: Chicago at Minnesota. After the White Sox take a 4-3 lead in the top of the 9th, Max Kepler's 2 out HBP drives in Brian Dozier to complete a 2 run rally.

Winning pitcher: Matt Belisle.
  • birdwatcher, Dantes929, SwainZag and 7 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#29 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,043 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:22 AM

Might be an opportunity to see Alcala pitch.
  • DocBauer and MMMordabito like this

#30 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 868 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

IMO, that game eliminated Perez from the playoff roster, if Rocco can't trust him to get one out in the 5th against the white sox with a two run lead, how can he trust him to get any outs against a playoff team?

I am not a Perez fan, but it seemed like the first time ever (I am sure it wasn't) that he was trying to be economical with his pitches, he only had 64 pitches in 4 2/3 innings. The hits he was giving up in the 5th were not pounded besides Engel. (Garcia rolled it though the shift on the right side, Abreu hit a bloop to right on a really good pitch low and away, and Moncada hit a single to right.

Kind of a double edge sword for the starters, run up your pitch count and get pulled early or try to keep the pitch count down by throwing strikes and giving up some hits and get pulled early, it is no wonder why Ordo and Gibson nibble all the time.

• Dman likes this

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,653 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

We scored early and often last night, too.

All I want is just one more run than them ... no more, no less.

So maybe score early, often and continuous.I know we scored 5 runs in the 3rd but there is a reason Smalley and Morneau say you have to change the number when you score big early. 

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#32 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,734 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:54 AM

Ok, I know he doesn't deserve the win and that he didn't pitch well but my old coach used to preach that you never knew how many runs you needed to score or how many you needed to limit the other team to until it was all over so you just need to keep plugging.That two run homer hurt but Harper hung in there and battled to keep it at just two runs. As it turns out that was exactly what was needed.. I won't give him a lot of credit but i will give him some. 

Cmon at least a-- misdeamor 

• Riverbrian, Dantes929 and MN_ExPat like this

#33 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

So I get home at midnight expecting to watch the replay of the game and pre season Wild hockey is on......really? This sucks.

I thought in Minnesota everything hockey just short of Lou Nanne's career NHL highlight reel takes precedent over all.

• bighat likes this

#34 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,528 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

At least you won’t be forcibly removed from a bar anymore, for requesting to put the Twins game on. :)
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian, Circus Boy and 1 other like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#35 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

On the play at 3B, don't know why McCann double-clutched unless Moncada was not at the bag yet, which, if true, Wade was weighing that as part of the equation of making a break for it.

I went to bed after the Anderson bomb.

Three times now this season that's happened that the morning has a happy ending included.

Right. A lot of times the base runner, in that situation, isn't stealing off of the catcher. Rather, a number of other factors (such as the fielders positioning, etc.).

#36 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

I confess...I turned it off after the two runhomer in the top of the 12th.I was nodding off anyway...I need to watch the replay.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

Big opportunity for a Brusdar breakout. But don't forget, they also used 6 relievers, and three more threw 36 pitches over 3.2 innings the night before.

AMEN!

The White Sox aren’t trying to clinch a division title.

#38 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

A win is a win, but the ineptitude of the White Sox really got Rocco off the hook last night - why is Harper being used in high leverage situations at all? It made no sense to bring him in when you had a rested Graterol or Romero. I assume he is saving Dobnak, Smeltzer, and Thorpe for the weekend but come on - using Harper in that situation was a bone headed move.

Having Odo go 7 tonight would be huge, but unexpected. Twins have struggled against Nova too, so maybe tonight is the night they bust out.

• bighat likes this

#39 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,528 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:45 AM

Right. A lot of times the base runner, in that situation, isn't stealing off of the catcher. Rather, a number of other factors (such as the fielders positioning, etc.).

The radio guys said Wade had a great secondary lead, and broke for third instantly.

Great hustle, great play. What more could you ask for.
  • Circus Boy and MN_ExPat like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#40 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,169 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

I feel bad for Harper. He had a good season going earlier on. He pitched in a lot of big spots and pitched well for us. He shouldn't be disparaged and cast off like he's nothing (I've read other comments about him here).

Yeah, instead of lamenting the use of Harper, we might want to consider how lucky we are that they've introduced us to 7-8 relievers since his demotion that are better options than he is.

I find it interesting that we disparage all these pitchers, and remarkably they end up being good enough for some other team: Magill, Eades, Morin, Parker, Mejia (who'd I miss?) are all playing for someone else. Harper would find a home real quick-like. What does that tell us?

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian and SoDakTwinsFan4 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins vs white sox, minnesota twins, chicago white sox, twins game recap, twins win