Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Make Every Night "Obscure Twins Jersey" Night

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Owner
  • 6,074 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:31 AM

Maybe you got carried away with Tsuyoshi Nishioka. Maybe you (okay, me) were a little too excited about Jeff Cirillo. Maybe you bought a Buddy Boshers jersey in a Rumplemintz-fueled haze. Whatever.

It’s time to embrace that crazy. Last night on Twitter an obscure Twins fan (ok, me again) proposed that next year Target Field have an Obscure Jersey Night. Twins fans wear the jerseys they have relegated to the back of their closets, giving those players one last moment in the bright lights of Target Field.

The comments are a gold mine. Byung-Ho Park. Kurt Suzuki. Joe Crede. Jose Offerman. Brendan Harris. Clete Thomas. That third baseman who hit .400 for part of a season so Ron Gardenhire wouldn’t sit him. Was that Luke Hughes? Who knows? I’m blocking it out.

Rich Becker. Kirby Puckett was bumped out of center field by Rich Becker!?! I don’t even have a problem with that; I just find it amazing we don’t talk more about Rich Becker. Who was replaced by Otis Nixon. Who I vaguely remember losing two fly balls in the Metrodome’s teflon roof in his first home game with the Twins. Yet someone out there has a Nixon Twins jersey. I’m sure of it.

Jeff Reboulet. Orlando Hudson. Livan Hernandez. Vance Worley. Ryan Doumit. Bombo Rivera. (Ok,that’s me again. I have a Bombo Rivera jersey. It was custom made. No regerts.) Rondell White. Chris Colabello. Jon Rauch. These are major leaguers who are not going to get a number retired or a Hall of Fame ceremony. Some of them will be lucky if they’re invited back to TwinsFest. They deserve a night like this.

So do the people who bought their jerseys. In fact, obscure jerseys don’t just deserve a night; they deserve every night. They deserve a mini-series. If the Twins make this event happen, I vow Twins Daily will do a series about the players about whom we all lost our collective heads.

(This site was made for that series. Forget the majors – we could do one on the minors. We could do one on each level of the minors. I mean, I was Ride or Die on Micheal Nakamura in 2002. We could probably do a story just on players with a surname of Mike. Nakamura. Restovich. Lamb. Pelfrey.)

So let’s make this happen. The Twins can work on the event for next year, but we have one homestand left. Let’s quit denying our past and acknowledge it. Wear your obscure Twins jerseys to the games this week and declare, loud and proud “It’s OK to love and lose!”

(But it’s also OK to love and win, too.)

Click here to view the article
  • glunn, nicksaviking, Craig Arko and 2 others like this

#2 scottz

scottz

• 692 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:39 AM

This is a great idea that could go MLB-wide. It’s fantastic. I’m only sad that I have no Jersey to participate.

Where did you get the custom made Rivera jersey made? Was it on a jersey of the era? I could go for a Willie Norwood jersey.
  • Sconnie and David HK like this

#3 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 717 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:27 AM

I'm sad that Boof Bonser or Brett Boone weren't mentioned.
  • nicksaviking, Sconnie and David HK like this

#4 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,011 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

I knew there would be at least one reason that I should have bought a named jersey.Can I draw a picture of a name and pin it to the back of my jersey like that young Vols fan?

Hmmm ...Motter or Heston

#5 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• 254 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

I knew there would be at least one reason that I should have bought a named jersey.Can I draw a picture of a name and pin it to the back of my jersey like that young Vols fan?

Hmmm ...Motter or Heston

I think you better...

"Twins Daily commenter bullied by other Twins Daily commenters for homemade jersey receives season tickets from Twins and authentic autographed Thad Motter jersey."

• woolywoolhouse and PDX Twin like this

#6 Gernzy

Gernzy

• 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

I'd so break out my Delmon Young jersey for that night.

And yes I have a Delmon Young jersey...

• Steve Lein, nicksaviking, 70charger and 5 others like this
I bent my wookie...

#7 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

Self-Appointed, Chief Executive Twins Daily Lurker

• 395 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

This is your annual automated reminder that Drew Butera is still a big leaguer. Time to hit eBay up for a Sweet Drew throwback...

• David HK and FlauerPauer like this

Charter Member of the 2019 Twins "Home Run to Hot Dog Eating Contest." One Dinger; One Dog.

"In order to have a testimony, you have to have a test." Teddy Bridgewater

#8 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 756 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:29 AM

I'm out, I give my old jerseys to charity. Heck, my Mauer jersey is already blessing the less fortunate. Great idea, though.
  • nicksaviking, PDX Twin and David HK like this

#9 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

Would absolutely scour Ebay for a Jason Tyner or Caleb Thielbar jersey 

• Sconnie and David HK like this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,757 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

Hmmm, should I crack out the Sam Deduno jersey for this, or the Scott Diamond?......decisions, decisions. 

• John Bonnes and nicksaviking like this

#11 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:58 AM

James Baldwin.

Henry Blanco.

• John Bonnes and nicksaviking like this

#12 Boots Electric

Boots Electric

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:28 AM

Why not do this as a twins daily event or for the pub crawl. 

• Parker Hageman, nicksaviking, twinsnorth49 and 4 others like this

#13 Ben B

Ben B

• 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

I love this idea. I once saw a Bret Boone Twins jersey -- jersey, not a shirsey -- at the Dome. A friend of mine has a Nishioka one he got on clearance somewhere for a couple bucks.

Personally, I have Carl Pavano and Bartolo Colon shirseys that I wear regularly, along with my more standard Johan Santana one.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#14 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,331 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

I took my son to a game back in the day, and the only disappointment of our day was the inability to score a Mike Lamb t-shirt jersey.

• tborg and David HK like this

#15 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,495 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

The way to do this, is to go with the classics...with a twist...

4 - not Bob Allison or Paul Molitor...instead: Chip Hale

6 - Vic Wertz (the one who hit the 430-foot out to Willie Mays) - 1963

7 - Jimmie Hall; or two-time world series champion Greg Gagne

14 - Glenn Borgman

28 - Vic Power (62-64)

29 - George Mitterwald (1966)

34 - Jose Morales (late 70's)

• Monkeypaws, Longdistancetwins and David HK like this

#16 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,752 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

I was at a game recently and saw a Lyman Bostock Jersey. That was a cool one to see. I would love to break out a Gene Larkin Jersey.

Maybe we could have a disgruntled former Twins Jersey night and pull out our David Ortiz, Chuck Knoblauch, etc... Jerseys. That could be fun too...

• Longdistancetwins and David HK like this

#17 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

Around the year 2000, I was at the Twins Pro Shop, pining over the thought of getting a jersey, but not feeling like I could justify the purchase given that we didn't have gobs of money and had two young kids.

I've also always been reluctant to get named stuff, since there's such a good likelihood of guys getting traded. As I flipped through the rack, however, I came across one with my name on it. I'd forgotten that I share a surname with a relatively unknown relief pitcher of the era. I went ahead and bought it, and still have it hanging in my office. People assume I had it custom-made.

• David HK likes this

#18 zwiefz

zwiefz

• 43 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

Wish I had bought that discounted(still like $90) Joe Vavra jersey at the proshop a couple years ago.Didn't know they made jersey's for the coaches.  

Full disclosure, I almost did buy it anyway. My wife and I bought the best dog ever from him just as he got hired by the Twins.It always seemed like he(the dog) would recognize him every time he popped up on TV.

Second random thought...I remember once Jeff Reboulet wearing a shirt in the locker room that said "Forget Mike, I Want to Be Like Puck".I searched everywhere for that shirt.

#19 big dog

big dog

• 3,041 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

Tried to buy an Alexi Casilla shirt for my daughter, who was in middle school and thought he was really cute. The woman at the Target Field counter looked at me like I was crazy.
  • Monkeypaws and David HK like this

#20 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

• nicksaviking and David HK like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)