Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/16): Berrios tosses a strong 7.1 innings

jose berrios taylor rogers luis arraez mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

Berrios looking good. Welcome seeing Marwin. Like to see this team win 100.

The most that Cleveland can reach with 12 games left is 99 wins.

100 wins for the Twins sounds perfect.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,843 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:08 AM

Don't forget Greinke.

Verlander, Cole and Greinke are why I'm leaning towards - *GASP* - preferring to play the Yankees in the Divisional series...

I agree but it's not gonna matter anyways. The Twins don't have the starters to compete with any of the playoff teams at this point. Anything is possible i guess, but i just don't see it when you have to rely on Gibson and Perez who have both been awful down the stretch here.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

It occurred to me this morning that it feels good to be on this side of the magic number for a change.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, DocBauer and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 Nate Palmer

Nate Palmer

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:16 AM

Not sure what is depressing about Romo giving up a homerun.  An error and a walk before the home run would have been depressing. Everyone gives up runs.Everyone.Twins did a nice job of hanging in there to get a big win.

I will admit "depressing" is a little strong. I originally had some words to soften its impact but took them out. More of "meh, that kinda stinks" then a "the sky is falling!" sort of depressing.  

#25 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 435 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:46 AM

Toss a good game against a quality team and I will be impressed. Glad we got the win.

He did in his last start, against Washington.

• Jaykay, dbminn and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#26 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,463 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

After giving up a couple runs early, Berrios settled down and rolled thru the next 5.1 innings like an ACE should.Great seeing him back in the saddle.

Wasn't the blowout win I always hope for, but, a win is a win is a win.Now on to game 2 with Giolito in the dugout.Doubt we can expect the Indians to lose many of the three at Detroit, but every win reduces that magic number.I want to see it at 2 when the Twins get on the plane Sunday night.

#27 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,349 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

Remember when?

D. SpanCF
O. Hudson2B
J. MauerC
D. YoungLF
J. ThomeDH
M. Cuddyer1B
J. KubelRF
  J. RepkoPR-RF
D. Valencia3B
  M. TolbertPR-3B
J.J. HardySS

Box score from last time Twins played a playoff series in 2010.

That was a decent starting lineup. Valencia hadn't quite gotten it together yet and Hardy had an off year, but that lineup deserved to be division champs.

• Dantes929 and DannySD like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#28 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:28 AM

Berrios looked good last night. It was pretty fun listening to Joe Mays come in the booth and marvel at the movement on his curve, nice little interlude but also added something to the broadcast. (and refreshing contrast to the "in my day, everyone was tougher/better/smarter" stories you sometimes get)

Arraez just keeps on hitting. He's not going to be a power bat, but I think he'll be able to shoot enough balls into gaps to maintain a respectable enough slugging % to go with a mighty high BA & OBP. He's an absolute keeper at 2B.

• SQUIRREL and rdehring like this

#29 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,650 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

That was a decent starting lineup. Valencia hadn't quite gotten it together yet and Hardy had an off year, but that lineup deserved to be division champs.

Valencia hit .311 that year.Hardy was decent as well at .268. It was a very good lineup but the big bummer was Morneau had an OPS of 1.055 after 81 games before going down with concussion.  

• Danchat and PDX Twin like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#30 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

That hit by Arraez looked like one of those hits when I was kid playing at Rocket Park in Anoka, MN. You never knew when a batted ball was going ricochet off a stone or hardened clump of mud.

I saw the video from a couple of angles. Moncada completely guessed correctly. The ball just seemed to have a mind of its own.

"I am a base hit gosh darn it, and you can't do anything to stop me."

The most fun single of the season.

• SQUIRREL, Aerodeliria and In My La-Z-boy like this

#31 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,650 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

I agree but it's not gonna matter anyways. The Twins don't have the starters to compete with any of the playoff teams at this point. Anything is possible i guess, but i just don't see it when you have to rely on Gibson and Perez who have both been awful down the stretch here.

Take a look at the Yankees starters and tell me we can't compete with them with what we have. One guy barely under 4.00 ERA. Their strength is their offense and their bullpen. So is ours. Houston is a different story. We have about as much chance against them as our 87 team did against the Tigers. No sarcasm or snarkiness intended there.They had 9-0 Doyle Alexander with a 1.53 ERA, Jack Morris in his prime and two good other starters.We were 4-8 against them during the regular season.Twins were not likely to beat them. If anything this team has a better chance against the Astros.  

• VivaBomboRivera! likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#32 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

I liked the camaraderie on the field after the game. No big celebration but guys just hangin' and enjoying the win. Polanco and Arraez ... Sano and Gonzo... looked like family (send in the memes).

• SQUIRREL and SwainZag like this

#33 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,593 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

Toss a good game against a quality team and I will be impressed. Glad we got the win.

He did in his last start, against Washington.

Also, there are no more good opponents this season. Be prepared to remain unimpressed, I guess.

• SQUIRREL, Dantes929, JLease and 1 other like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#34 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,463 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:58 AM

I liked the camaraderie on the field after the game. No big celebration but guys just hangin' and enjoying the win. Polanco and Arraez ... Sano and Gonzo... looked like family (send in the memes).

Also took notice of those shots at the end of last nights game.Just love the chemistry of this team.That's the reason I am fearful should they trade any of the top 10. 

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#35 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 107 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

The Twins need Jose Berrios. He appears to be back on track after turning in another strong start tonight.

So messed up there for a while that some of us had forgotten what he looked like.Back in form in the nick of time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, taylor rogers, luis arraez, mitch garver