Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Are we done with Gibson? Once and for all

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Vagnavs

Vagnavs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 115 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

I'm hoping this is one of last times we see Gibson. He has had one good year and every other year has been above 4 ERA. He actually broke off talks with the twins on an extension. We might have saved ourselves from a terrible deal.

Edited by Vagnavs, 15 September 2019 - 02:32 PM.

• Thrylos, darin617, blindeke and 5 others like this

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,551 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:34 PM

He started the year weak from E Coli he got trying to help people less fortunate. When he got strong again, he was getting good again. Then he got sick again, and isn't recovered. It's hard to figure out what he'll be like next year when healthy.

I'm ok with whatever they decide, but I don't think people realize how bad pitching is in the AL. Gibson was actually not bad.... When compared to his peers. Not great, either

Edited by Mike Sixel, 15 September 2019 - 02:35 PM.

• luckylager, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 14 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#3 Jester

Jester

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:40 PM

I hope so.

• Thrylos, operation mindcrime and Bandit34 like this

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,396 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

Would you pay $36 for three more years of Gibson? That is the Big question. Not that expect people to be knocking down the door, but we will get a multi-year offer.

• gman and Diesel like this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#5 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 294 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Would you pay $36 for three more years of Gibson? That is the Big question. Not that expect people to be knocking down the door, but we will get a multi-year offer.

With his ulcerative colitis, I don’t see the market. It’s a permanent condition. Feel really bad for the guy, but I think there are better options.
  • beckmt, tarheeltwinsfan, jz7233 and 1 other like this

#6 insagt1

insagt1

Ft Myers Miracle

• 287 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:14 PM

the odds of him returning in any event are slim

• operation mindcrime and Bandit34 like this

#7 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 396 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

Gibson is one of those guys that had a lot of talent but never really used it to its full potential. Some pitchers don't have enough trust in their stuff, he's one of them. Will be very happy to see him go!

• operation mindcrime likes this

#8 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

Gibson has always had stuff that gets whiffs, but he's put together only one really good season. Yeah, this could be pretty close to the end for Gibby in a Twinkies uniform. Twins have several good prospects coming up, and the rooks up today look like they might just pan out. 

Gibson can go be an overpriced #4 for some other team. 

• beckmt, Danchat, operation mindcrime and 1 other like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

Gibson has always had stuff that gets whiffs, but he's put together only one really good season. Yeah, this could be pretty close to the end for Gibby in a Twinkies uniform. Twins have several good prospects coming up, and the rooks up today look like they might just pan out.

Gibson can go be an overpriced #4 for some other team.

Maybe you are seeing something I’m not. I haven’t been wowed by Graterol, Thorpe or Smeltzer. And if the Twins don’t retain Gibson, Odorizzi, Pineda or Perez, all three are likely penciled into 2020 rotation.

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,551 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

AL starting pitchers with at least seventy innings....Gibson was 43rd in ERA. How many better pitchers will be available this off season?

The twins need at least two, if not three, starters....
  • Twins33, Sconnie, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,873 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

He started the year weak from E Coli he got trying to help people less fortunate. When he got strong again, he was getting good again. Then he got sick again, and isn't recovered. It's hard to figure out what he'll be like next year when healthy.

I'm ok with whatever they decide, but I don't think people realize how bad pitching is in the AL. Gibson was actually not bad.... When compared to his peers. Not great, either

This is why I think Gibson might actually be a really good buy low candidate on a one year deal.

If you can get him for $6-7m with the sickness cloud over his head, I roll the dice on that every time.

• Twins33, nicksaviking, Danchat and 8 others like this

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,152 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:15 PM

Maybe you are seeing something I’m not. I haven’t been wowed by Graterol, Thorpe or Smeltzer. And if the Twins don’t retain Gibson, Odorizzi, Pineda or Perez, all three are likely penciled into 2020 rotation.

Sure, but that doesn't mean we should overpay Gibson just so we have someone to fill the space. We are allowed to sign other FA starters and trade for them too.

• Thrylos, Vagnavs and operation mindcrime like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#13 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:21 PM

This is why I think Gibson might actually be a really good buy low candidate on a one year deal.

If you can get him for $6-7m with the sickness cloud over his head, I roll the dice on that every time.

Gibson is not going to take anything less than 10 million a year. He might want a multiyear contract.

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

Sure, but that doesn't mean we should overpay Gibson just so we have someone to fill the space. We are allowed to sign other FA starters and trade for them too.

Free agents have to want to come to Minnesota. The Twins have not had much success luring top FA starters. Their best success story in the last ten (twenty?) years might be Ervin Santana who was suspended for the first half of his first season and missed big chunks of two others.

Also, how many teams are likely to trade away good, controllable starters for the pieces the Twins are willing to offer?

Edited by yarnivek1972, 15 September 2019 - 04:38 PM.

• wabene likes this

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,873 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

Gibson is not going to take anything less than 10 million a year. He might want a multiyear contract.

I don't know about that. If he can't pitch effectively for the rest of the season, that's going to make a lot of teams hesitant to give him $10m and a multi-year deal would basically be off the table, at least at the money level Gibson would want to commit to more than one year.

• rdehring likes this

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,501 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

I'm not sure if we know what he will or will not take. What I will say is that this is his position, there's a good chance he's retiring. I don't see a team giving him a 1 year deal at 8 figures given his health as it is right now. That's a degenerative condition with which there's little cure. He can only hope that proper treatment this offseason that he can manage it. 

I agree with Brock, he's a buy low guy. I don't think anyone should be ruled out at this point, as the Twins most definitely will need SP help... I really do hope though that they don't go cheap on that this offseason. This offense should be special for a while. Get some good pitching. 

• glunn, Dman, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,628 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:30 PM

Free agents have to want to come to Minnesota. The Twins have not had much success luring top FA starters.

If the Twins actually make the highest bid, and it's turned down, they won't want to directly say so, but they have their favorite reporters to whom they can make off-the-record hints to that effect and get the message into the papers and other outlets.

They don't dare play that kind of PR game falsely, lest the player in question quietly say, "um, no," when asked to confirm.

And so, in turn, when we don't see these scoops published by the usual outlets, it's a pretty good indication that that didn't happen. Players aren't turning down our good money. They're turning down our inferior money.

• glunn, Thrylos, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,551 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:32 PM

Need three. Has any team ever added three good, new, starting pitchers in one off season?
  • glunn, Twins33, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,152 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

Need three. Has any team ever added three good, new, starting pitchers in one off season?

Well, "good" is a pretty general term here. Would it really be out of the realm of possibility to add something like 2 #3 starters and a #5?

Just a hypothetical situation here... but say the Twins re-sign Odorizzi for something like 3/$50M, trade for Chris Archer for a couple sizable prospects (trying to get Archer back to what he was as a Ray), and then maybe somebody like Michael Wacha on a less expensive deal. You could then have the 5th spot of the rotation go to Thorpe/Smeltzer/other option. I'd like to see them aim higher than this, but I don't think my scenario is out of the realm of possibility.

• LA VIkes Fan, SF Twins Fan and bighat like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,210 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:23 PM

Not to my knowledge.:)

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!