Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Who is the Twins Team MVP?

minnesota twins mvp twins mvp max kepler jose berrios nelson curz
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,472 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

This is hard... I guess that's a good thing.

I lean towards Garver and Polanco, given they are both playing premium D positions where offense tends to be depressed, and they are destroying those roles offensively while doing decent defensively. Big draw back on Garver is that he doesn't play enough... though to be fair, I don't understand why he hasn't gotten time at 1B during Cron's various DL stints.

• Brian450 likes this

#22 LeatherAntenna

LeatherAntenna

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 124 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

Kepler, without a doubt has blossomed into something special. I see next year another jump into elite MLB company.

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:46 PM

Not a slam dunk, but I'd go Max.

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 verninski

verninski

• 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

Kepler, not only because of his offense, but also that he had to change positions defensively as well and has done a great job!
  • IndianaTwin and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,593 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

Polanco for me.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#26 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,355 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

Kepler, not only because of his offense, but also that he had to change positions defensively as well and has done a great job!

That’s exactly where I was going. With Buxton’s injury, he had to switch positions and didn’t slow down offensively.

#27 peterb18

peterb18

• 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

Kepler

#28 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,745 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:22 PM

Keplanco.......followed by Crugers.
  • Otwins and Sconnie like this

#29 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,379 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:03 AM

fun team, lots to like. but they woulda been sunk without rogers.

• VATwinsFan likes this

#30 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 107 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:04 AM

Keeping my powder dry on this one until after the Division is clinched.

Until then, I invite the Twins Daily community to consider a related question.

#31 TheRealCupOfJoe

TheRealCupOfJoe

Elizabethton Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:16 AM

Max Kepler.Then Garver, then Cruz.

#32 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,139 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

First half would have been Polanco. He and Kepler have been the most healthy and are both having great seasons. Cruz has missed too many games but he's still in the running. It's such a well-rounded team.

#33 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,667 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

It's a tough one.I'd go with Kepler, Cruz or Rogers.

he gone!

#34 Twins_Fan_For_Life

Twins_Fan_For_Life

• 22 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

Odd that Odorizzi was only mentioned in comments once and not at all of the article. And Eddie was only mentioned in passing in the comments and not in the article. I'm not saying either one of those guys are the MVP but they are certainly worthy of mention.

#35 flatlanddad

flatlanddad

• 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

What about Buxton? I don't have time to look up the stats, but it seems that the team did the best in terms of W-L when he has been in the lineup. They've been able to hold on without him, but I'm betting the record with him out of the lineup is not as good as when he was in it.

#36 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,223 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

Kep for offense, defense. Cruz for being the heart and soul of this team. Second place in the "heart and soul" category is Gonzales.Third place for H & S category is La Tortuga for always hustling and keeping everyone loose. Falvey and Levine for assembling this group. Rocco for being in charge on the field. This has been a fun team to watch and to cheer for.

#37 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,593 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

What about Buxton? I don't have time to look up the stats, but it seems that the team did the best in terms of W-L when he has been in the lineup. They've been able to hold on without him, but I'm betting the record with him out of the lineup is not as good as when he was in it.

It was a fun stat, and I ran with it as much as anyone, but it depends too much on a small sample of games relative to the full season, for my taste.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Odd that Odorizzi was only mentioned in comments once and not at all of the article. And Eddie was only mentioned in passing in the comments and not in the article. I'm not saying either one of those guys are the MVP but they are certainly worthy of mention.

Eddie Rosario has only an ever so slightly above league average OPS. And that league average includes catchers and shortstops and center fielders. I like Rosario, but I don't feel like his play is worthy of mention for team MVP.

#39 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,764 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

How can a guy who played in about half the games this year warrant any consideration?

#40 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,764 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

It was a fun stat, and I ran with it as much as anyone, but it depends too much on a small sample of games relative to the full season, for my taste.

Take his last five appearances.The Twins won all five games, but he was only a late inning defensive replacement and had no impact whatsoever.Until we get anecdotal and actually point out instances where he saved runs in tight games and changed the outcome I find those numbers dubious

• ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins mvp, twins mvp, max kepler, jose berrios, nelson curz