Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Is It Time for a New Bullpen Paradigm?

taylor rogers tyler duffey trevor may sergio romo zack littell
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:43 AM

I like where this is going but I want to take it a step further. Half of our bullpen is guys that were starters once. Why not have them go more than one inning and make them unavailable the next day? Look for 5 innings out of your starter (less if he starts to faulter) then hand the ball to a guy like Littell for the next 2. At this point you've gotten to the 8th inning with 2 pitchers. Rinse repeat. Imagine trying to hit Odorizzi for 5 innings then getting cut down by Graterol for the next 2. 

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

#22 Linus

Linus

• 2,258 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

I like where this is going but I want to take it a step further. Half of our bullpen is guys that were starters once. Why not have them go more than one inning and make them unavailable the next day? Look for 5 innings out of your starter (less if he starts to faulter) then hand the ball to a guy like Littell for the next 2. At this point you've gotten to the 8th inning with 2 pitchers. Rinse repeat. Imagine trying to hit Odorizzi for 5 innings then getting cut down by Graterol for the next 2.

I agree with this. If you also consider that just warming up represents a considerable amount of the pitches thrown it makes even more sense to get more mileage out of them once they are warmed up. Meanwhile the other reliever that would have used doesn’t do a thing that day

#23 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 868 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

You can hold to that opinion as long as you choose, but it simply isn’t realistic.

There were thirteen pitchers with more than 200 IP in 2018 in all of MLB. That’s probably pretty close to what there will be this year as well. At 33 starts that’s barely 6 per start. Even Scherzer who led MLB with 220 IP in 2018 averaged 6 2/3 IP per start.

I agree there really aren't any pitchers that can average 7 innings a start only being allowed 90-100 pitches. To pitch 7 innings and have 105 pitches you need to average 15 pitches an inning. When pitchers like Ordo and Gibson (and a ton of others in the league) get to 0 -2 and it takes 3 or 4 more pitches to get the guy out, that isn't happening.

On top of these pitchers (IMO) feel like anytime after the 5th if they get into even a little jam they will be taken out, so they nit pick and run up their pitch count.

In the past if a pitcher got somebody 0 - 2 they didn't have to waste close pitches because the batter was in a protect mode, now they batter doesn't care what the count is they are freely swing for the fences.

#24 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 868 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

I agree with this. If you also consider that just warming up represents a considerable amount of the pitches thrown it makes even more sense to get more mileage out of them once they are warmed up. Meanwhile the other reliever that would have used doesn’t do a thing that day

On TV the other day (I think Morris) said he talked to Romo and Romo said he told the other relief pitchers not to waste all their bullets in the bullpen, they get 8 warm up pitches. (seems like good advice)

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,616 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

On TV the other day (I think Morris) said he talked to Romo and Romo said he told the other relief pitchers not to waste all their bullets in the bullpen, they get 8 warm up pitches. (seems like good advice)

No offense to Sergio but he doesn't have any bullets, just Nerf darts, so what does he know? :)

• Tomj14 likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#26 railmarshalljon

railmarshalljon

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

No offense to Sergio but he doesn't have any bullets, just Nerf darts, so what does he know? :)

Talked to Romo. He said "No offense to ashbury but he doesn't even have nerf darts, just poorly folded paper airplanes, so what does he know?

• ashbury likes this

You can't change the past, but you can still ruin your future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, tyler duffey, trevor may, sergio romo, zack littell