Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins 2019 Minor League Hitter of the Year

trevor larnach jaylin davis zander wiel lewin diaz brent rooker
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

How much do you guys take into account age/level? Because I look at Gabe Snyder clocking in at #8 and I just don't see it. He's 24 in low-A ball and was...fine? I'm much more impressed with Travis Blankenhorn who had a fairly similar batting line against better competition in tougher environments and at a younger age.

For these awards, not at all. Performance vs. league average/scoring environment I do try to account for somewhat, but not age. Can't fault a guy for where the Twins put him.

When it comes to prospect rankings, however, stuff like age/level plays a massive role.

• Dman, DocBauer and dbminn like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,479 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

Let's not rip Ted for leaving the two best hitting season in the organization (even Larnach wasn't that close) completely off his ballot.

Let's instead rip Ted for his first two choices: 65 games worth of Rooker...and Wiel, who ranked 9th on his own team in OPS (players with at least 100 PA). 3rd on his own team if you want the threshold to be 300PA...but that would easily eliminate Rooker :)

#23 mlhouse

mlhouse

• 724 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

Just my opinion but Jaylin Davis should not have even been eligible for the voting as he did not finish the year as a Twins prospect.

I think it was great for him though as he got his call up to the show.Jumping to 35 minor league home runs and a AAA OPS > 1.000 was a great year. 

Also, Luis Arraez should be the minor league hitter of the year.  All of those minor league statistics are great, but he has a .412 OBP with the Twins in over 300 PA. 

#24 Kanonen80

Kanonen80

• 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

Is Rooker okay? He took a line-drive to the groin in the OF, right? If he's not been heard from since July, I worry something terrible happened...

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,684 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

Is Rooker okay? He took a line-drive to the groin in the OF, right? If he's not been heard from since July, I worry something terrible happened...

I am not sure... but he played in 2 games in the GCL before that season was cancelled due to Hurricane Dorian. 

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,684 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

Just my opinion but Jaylin Davis should not have even been eligible for the voting as he did not finish the year as a Twins prospect.

I think it was great for him though as he got his call up to the show.Jumping to 35 minor league home runs and a AAA OPS > 1.000 was a great year. 

Also, Luis Arraez should be the minor league hitter of the year.  All of those minor league statistics are great, but he has a .412 OBP with the Twins in over 300 PA. 

Major League numbers were not to be used in the vote consideration as well. 

#27 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:48 PM

For these awards, not at all. Performance vs. league average/scoring environment I do try to account for somewhat, but not age. Can't fault a guy for where the Twins put him.

When it comes to prospect rankings, however, stuff like age/level plays a massive role.

Can't you just a little, though? If he was a better hitter, he would have gotten a promotion.

I'm not saying I'd weight it like I would the prospect ratings, but when you're naming the Minor League Hitters of the Year, ignoring it completely seems a bit off because it suggests a player is better than they really are. Like all twins minor leaguers, I'm rootin' for the guy, but...I dunno if he belongs on the list.

#28 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,593 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:01 PM

Can't you just a little, though? If he was a better hitter, he would have gotten a promotion.

I'm not saying I'd weight it like I would the prospect ratings, but when you're naming the Minor League Hitters of the Year, ignoring it completely seems a bit off because it suggests a player is better than they really are. Like all twins minor leaguers, I'm rootin' for the guy, but...I dunno if he belongs on the list.

Just looking at his monthly breakouts... Snyder started well then hit a slump at exactly the wrong time, otherwise I think he would have gotten a mid-season promotion to high-A. Then he turned it around, and produced the season he did. It all comes down to timing, sometimes.

It's only his second year in the pros, so there are competing motivations how quickly to move him. He's both old (calendar) and young (pro experience).

• DocBauer likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,657 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:12 PM

Hello, my name is Byron, and I'm a Twins fan and Twins milb fan.

(This where everyone know inclined to say "hello, Byron, lol)

I love the prospect lists as well as the monthly and year-end lists! And I thank everyone for all the time, effort and thought that goes in to daily reports and these special lists.

#1] I am ashamed to admit that when I looked at past winners I had totally forgotten Oswaldo Arcia and who he was. Just not like me.

#2] I completely understand and appreciate that these hear end lists are NOT a prospect ranking. So when I read said lists, and the performances of pitchers and hitters listed, and I DON'T see top prospect names listed due to injuries and the such, it makes me feel all the mkre warm and fuzzy about the depth of tne system.

I have no problem with Larnach as #1, but agree Davis would be there with more time in the system.

I am both excited and chagrined when I look at what Wiel did this season, and his steady but under the radar progress through the system, and wonder not only if their is a place for him on the roster in the future, but whether there is even room for him on the 40 man.

Going to agree with Mike that I think Jeffers is on a fast track. I don't know about next season as there is not only his bat to continue improving, but his catcher skills as well. From day 1 I've heard the FO likes him behind the plate. If their love is substantiated, what a surprise steal he may turn out to be!

Just wanted to comment a bit on honorable mention Blenkenhorn. From the outside looking in following him from day 1, I see a very talented ballplayer who has yet to put it all together. Despite steady progress and development, be remains a player without a position. The potential to play 2B and 3B seems to be there. He seems to be solid in the OF as well. The TALENT is there to play almost anywhere. And I understand part of the milb process is working guys in different places to increase their value and find their best spot, eventually. And versatility is important. But I sometimes wonder if a player can be moved around too much.

I have made comments in different threads that I believe the Twins organization has enough depth EVERYWHERE, that they could hold on to their top 4 prospects and STILL make a very attractive package of prospects to a team looking to trade a quality SP in a re-build. While I am not anxious to move Blenkenhorn, we're I a potential trade partner, this is one prospect I'd have my eye on. By no measure has he arrived yet, but there is just so much athleticism and potential available that he could be really nice in a year or two.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#30 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,479 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

My point is that Davis has a lot of company in similar performance (rate-wise) in triple-A, and there's not many for Larnach in the FSL so that became more impressive for me. Larnach was also just as good as Davis in the Southern League.

Was Larnach as good as Diaz in the Southern League? Or the Florida State League?

#31 jrod23

jrod23

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 145 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

Seth reached out to me after seeing my ballot. He likely thought I was crazy, and there’s probably no denying that. My thought process was to leave both Davis and Diaz off in an attempt to award someone still within the organization. Unquestionably though, Davis has the best year among hitters that player on the Twins farm IMO. My goal wasn’t to slight Jaylin or Lewin by any means.

Ted.I'm not doubting because I'm not a writer, but I'm just curious.I'd love to hear your write-up per player there.This list is about right though.Would love to see Blank get more love.He seems to really have matured and figured some things out.Let's keep feeding him some consistency.

Jeffers, I don't think I'd say he was a steal, but I'd say he could turn out to be a reach that really paid off.

Regardless, I'm excited to see the Twins come October, but I'm sad to see the MiLB season end.

Thanks guys for all the the work you do to get us MiLB rubes some Twins reading material.

#32 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Was Larnach as good as Diaz in the Southern League? Or the Florida State League?

This is a fair point to explore, but again, for me the time in the organization (and each league in this case) is a big factor. 

Diaz slugged extremely well in the FSL (and then the SL), and .290 batting average isn't shabby either. But Larnach had a .382 OBP versus .333 for Diaz. 

Different methods, similar performance in advanced metrics. It's a what's your preference thing.

If we had a most improved award, Diaz certainly would win this comparison as he was flat out not good in the FSL last year, but Larnach is my guy based on all the other considerations. 

I still had Diaz 4th, so it's not like I forgot about him!

• glunn and Dman like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor larnach, jaylin davis, zander wiel, lewin diaz, brent rooker