Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (9/12): Twins Drop Series to Nationals, Cleveland 3.5 Back

kyle gibson jonathan schoop nelson cruz mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 394 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

Nothing worse (in baseball) than watching a pitcher who is afraid to throw strikes. Gibson relied way too much on sliders in the dirt. If you are afraid of any hitter you shouldn't be out there. It was painful to watch. Gibson looked like he needs to gain about 25 pounds. It is a shame because he has been a mainstay for years and has shown streaks of reliability for lack of a better word. Last night was very discouraging not because of runs allowed but because of his entire approach and demeanor on the mound.

Tonight's lineup will be very interesting.

• mikelink45, bighat, wabene and 2 others like this

#22 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,551 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:47 AM

Thay have about 299 relievers currently.

That number seems low.

• h2oface likes this
Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#23 spycake

spycake

• 16,974 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

It's definitely fair to question why Stewart was out there with no one else getting loose in the pen. It was only 6-3 at that point, with 4 innings left, and Corbin was already at 92 pitches so we were going to see the Nats bullpen for at least 3 of those innings. Stewart hadn't pitched anywhere in over 2 weeks, and wasn't very effective before that either (5.64 ERA in MLB in 2019 before last night, 5.14 ERA at AAA too).

Now Stewart's season ERA in MLB in up to 6.66, which is always a good sign!

We were willing to have May and Rogers get loose in the 8th inning down by 4 runs -- it boggles the mind that we wouldn't have at least Hildy, Harper, or Thorpe getting loose in the 6th in case Stewart scuffled. The Twins active roster contains 18 healthy pitchers right now!

• USAFChief, h2oface, wabene and 2 others like this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,525 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:30 AM

in Stewart's defense, he hasn't pitched in a long time.On the other hand, he has been so-so all year both here and in Rochester.Will be interesting to see if he is on the team come December 1.Too bad baseball doesn't allow you to trade someone needing a fresh start for a low draft pick.

• wabene likes this

#25 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,852 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

That would be an epic collapse to not even make the postseason

I agree. The way this team is playing Cleveland easily sweeps and then it's a crap shoot as to whether or not they can squeak out enough wins against the White Sox, Royals and Tigers to beat out the Indians. Meanwhile the Rays and A's are right on the heels of the Twins from a win / loss perspective. I think this thing goes right down to the wire. They could very easily be on the outside looking in come Sept. 30th.

• bighat and wabene like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

in Stewart's defense, he hasn't pitched in a long time. On the other hand, he has been so-so all year both here and in Rochester. Will be interesting to see if he is on the team come December 1. Too bad baseball doesn't allow you to trade someone needing a fresh start for a low draft pick.

Why would they possibly keep him on the roster at this point?
  • h2oface and wabene like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,917 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

I think the Twins win at least one game this weekend. And then crush the tigers the rest of the way
  • wabene likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#28 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 173 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

Remember the Indians caught us earlier this year and things looked kinda bad then. From that perspective we have put ourselves 3.5 games up with 16 to play which looks pretty good. It's better than being 3.5 games behind. Unfortunately our health and availability problems have popped up at the end of the season where Cleveland went through their biggest problems earlier. We are in the driver seat. Now if we can just keep our foot on the gas. Go Twins.

• Mike Sixel, Danchat, bighat and 2 others like this

#29 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

I think the Twins win at least one game this weekend. And then crush the tigers the rest of the way

The one needs to be tonight. 

#30 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,721 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

I have a hard time reading "That said, there were some positive things to note." I looked at the score, at the runs given up, the walks and all I can say is that Gibson looked good walking to the mound!Sorry, I know health issues are devastating and I have great sympathy for him, but as a Twin Fan this is not how I want to see him used.Nor do I see why Stewart is here and has been given many opportunities all year. 

With an open roster and the players in today's Minor League Hitter of the Year article as well as the Pitcher of the year before that I cannot see why we do not have the best here and ready to step in.And I do not mean Ryan LaMarre. or Torreyes in the OF, but rather Larnach, Kiriloff... 

I have tried to think of something classy like the old Boston Braves - Spahn and Sain and pray for rain to cover Berrios and Odorizzi but I can only rhyme it with dizzy! 

I will add one thing about Pineda - I do not want him back, talk about letting down your team.Such terrible timing and devastating impact. 

#31 spycake

spycake

• 16,974 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:21 AM

Too bad baseball doesn't allow you to trade someone needing a fresh start for a low draft pick.

Hey, if you play the guy who needs a fresh start, you may improve your draft position. :)

If another team wants him, you can trade him for international bonus pool money, or for a low minors lotto ticket. It's effectively the same thing. (I'm not sure I want to expand the trading of draft picks, even low ones.) Of course, it's also possible no team wants him that badly, and will simply wait to put in a claim when he is inevitably waived.

Actually, with the ban on trading 40-man roster guys in August/September, I wonder if this "we've-got-to-get-something-in-return-for-him" mentality could hurt a team. Maybe we really are ready to move on from Stewart, or even Diplan, and we might rather take a look at Alcala or Jax right now -- but the only way to clear Stewart or Diplan off the roster at the moment is to lose him on waivers or release them. So we feel stuck with them until after the season/postseason.

#32 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,181 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

They aren't up because this front office is risk adverse. Or maybe they plan to trade them, and they are more valuable this way. Either way, they are more worried about the future than the present. Floor over ceiling, just like always.

Or maybe it’s just too early for these guys - remember how we rushed Hicks and Buxton to the majors before they were ready? I would have called up Rooker, he should be healthy now.
  • bighat, wabene and In My La-Z-boy like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#33 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

Or maybe it’s just too early for these guys - remember how we rushed Hicks and Buxton to the majors before they were ready? I would have called up Rooker, he should be healthy now.

Will be interesting to see how this team handles Sept next year when we can only expand to 28 players. We'd be fresh out of team if this were the rule this year. I think the FO would have made different choices this year if that were the rule. Maybe it will be a positive. With very limited call ups you're more likely to see a Kiriloff or Rooker added I think.

• Danchat likes this

#34 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

Tonight or Sunday are the only games in this series that the Twins have a chance at winning.

They face Clevinger on Saturday, who absolutely dominates the Twins. That will be an L.

#35 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Oh, and Kohl Stewart has no place pitching in a MLB game that isn't an absolute blow out. Last night's game was not that, so why he was used is absolutely unacceptable by Baldelli and his staff.

The guy isn't a major league pitcher, and should be outrighted as soon as possible.

• laloesch and bunt_vs_the_shift like this

#36 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,307 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:08 AM

I have to quibble with the idea that there was anything redeeming about Gibson's start last night.His WHIP was 2.57.He gave up 73% hard contact.Who cares if one of his pitches can't be hit if all the others are batting practice.

• Danchat and Battle ur tail off like this

#37 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,525 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Tonight or Sunday are the only games in this series that the Twins have a chance at winning.

They face Clevinger on Saturday, who absolutely dominates the Twins. That will be an L.

I agree, yet, whenever I think something like that the unexpected happens.Doubt there is much of a chance but Thorpe or Schmeltzer could throw 5 shutout innings after Dobnak does the same in an inning as the opener.Arraez should get a hit and score giving the Twins a 1-0 win.

• wabene likes this

#38 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,537 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

Hard to come to the conclusion that in-game management is a strength of Rocco's...so far. Last night, was one of the more bizarre examples of that (although, I doubt it impacted the outcome).

Edited by jkcarew, 13 September 2019 - 10:26 AM.

• wabene likes this

#39 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,043 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Shane Bieber is pitching Sunday, he's going to get Cy Young consideration and is arguably Cleveland's best pitcher.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#40 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

Shane Bieber is pitching Sunday, he's going to get Cy Young consideration and is arguably Cleveland's best pitcher.

Yes he is. Tonight is huge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, jonathan schoop, nelson cruz, mitch garver