Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Collapse?

injuries nicked depth cleveland series
  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,717 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

I agree. They are playing very well, as is Oakland and Tampa Bay, although the Rays have a tough schedule the next several games. If Cleveland catches the Twins, we'll have seen an incredibly fun season end with the Twins not even getting 1 playoff game.

While not mathematically eliminated from the division, I think Cleveland has been thinking Wild Card since the Twins-Cleveland doubleheader.
  • Blake and twinsnorth49 like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#122 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,800 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:13 PM

If Cleveland catches the Twins, that means the Twins play a Wild Card game.

Unless you expect Tampa to basically win out.

Not sure I buy the logic. Each division has two 90+ win teams. Of these, Cleveland has the weakest record. If they overtake the Twins, it will have to involve a lot of Twins losses, and the Twins might easily have a worse record than TB and Oak. Oakland might be about to overtake the Twins in number of wins. Said another way, the Twins' magic number relative to either of them is currently higher than for Cleveland.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#123 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,273 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:19 AM

Not sure I buy the logic. Each division has two 90+ win teams. Of these, Cleveland has the weakest record. If they overtake the Twins, it will have to involve a lot of Twins losses, and the Twins might easily have a worse record than TB and Oak. Oakland might be about to overtake the Twins in number of wins. Said another way, the Twins' magic number relative to either of them is currently higher than for Cleveland.

Huh? Cleveland and Tampa Bay have identical records, so if the season ended today, they would have a one-game play-in game to play Oakland. The Twins magic number to clinch a wild card is identical to their magic number to clinch the division--3.

#124 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:33 AM

My point was that it will be quite hard for Cleveland to catch the Twins. It's even more unlikely that both Cleveland and Tampa catch the Twins.

The more teams in play for the same position, the more unlikely it becomes that one will go ice cold while the rest get red hot and for it all to happen at the exact same time.

#125 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,800 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

My point was that it will be quite hard for Cleveland to catch the Twins. It's even more unlikely that both Cleveland and Tampa catch the Twins.

The more teams in play for the same position, the more unlikely it becomes that one will go ice cold while the rest get red hot and for it all to happen at the exact same time.

Because the Twins are so close to clinching, it would require a lot of losses by them. That makes the Magic Number they have against the other teams more correlated than if we were further out from season's end.

It occurs to me that the same logic, that more is better, was behind the financial collapse triggered in part by bundled mortgages that individually were sketchy investments but thought to be safer when in a big group.

• Blake and Sconnie like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#126 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,659 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

yeah, I was not sleeping easy until we sept that double header... they have a 3 game lead and a cake schedule. Yes... it's feasibly possible... but I'd be a bit surprised. They have to play .500 ball this week to take the division.Cleveland and Tampa for all intents and purposes have to win out. It's doable, but highly unlikely. 

#127 big dog

big dog

• 3,042 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:40 PM

yeah, I was not sleeping easy until we sept that double header... they have a 3 game lead and a cake schedule. Yes... it's feasibly possible... but I'd be a bit surprised. They have to play .500 ball this week to take the division.Cleveland and Tampa for all intents and purposes have to win out. It's doable, but highly unlikely. 

We actually have a 4-game lead.Six games to play, magic number is 3.

Go Twins!

#128 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,781 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

Cleveland will lose another game, the Twins will win 2 more.....done deal.
  • Blake likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injuries, nicked, depth, cleveland series