Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Collapse?

injuries nicked depth cleveland series
  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#81 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• 149 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:49 AM

I guess that's what we all have to remember; this has been a fun year even if we do wind up with the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. When was the last time we had meaningful Twins games in the second half of September and possibly beyond? Other than 2017 of course. 

#82 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 1,004 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:51 AM

No substitute for playing well.

It's how baseball works -- what have you done for me lately, because any team can come back from any deficit or blow any lead because there is no clock.

Twins control their destiny.

And, they need to play well and win ONE GAME in Cleveland out of three.

Piece of cake.

• brvama, wabene and In My La-Z-boy like this

#83 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 178 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:01 AM

No substitute for playing well.

It's how baseball works -- what have you done for me lately, because any team can come back from any deficit or blow any lead because there is no clock.

Twins control their destiny.

And, they need to play well and win ONE GAME in Cleveland out of three.

Piece of cake.

Excellent attitude. Beautiful day - Wish I were there. Lets win 2 today!

• Sconnie, wabene and FlauerPauer like this

#84 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,059 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

People should be concerned. Big 3 game stretch and we have injuries all over the place. Getting swept in my opinion will be pretty close to season over. I don't see us coming back from that. We need to take a minimum of two. Flip side, we have two today. Take them both and I'll be sleeping a lot easier. Lose them both and it's Vikings season.

• 70charger likes this

#85 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,256 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:09 AM

If this team collapses and doesn't make the playoffs I will not view this as a "fun" year like some of you seem willing to do.

I'm sick of good enough. I'm sick of making strides. I'm sick of people giving them a pass because bombas are fun. Hitting the most HRs in the league and missing the playoffs would be a participation trophy, and nothing to be proud of.

Stop accepting mediocrity or the organization has no reason to go out and make the necessary moves to become more than that.

Yeah. Watching your team fall apart in the final weeks of the season, play terrible baseball, and give up a historic 14.5 game lead isn't "fun" to me, either. Cleveland has won 5 of 6. The way they pounced on the Twins immediately last night wasn't "fun".

What is fun? Watching the Twins play and win a ball game. If we can wrap up the division or a playoff spot, that's fun. Stealing a win this afternoon in Cleveland would be fun, we just need our boys to go out there and do it!

#86 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,591 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:13 AM

There is a lot of worry here, this afternoon game will be tough.Need to steal at least one here, though Cleveland's road is still tough with 6 games against Philly and Washington both trying to get to the wild card will not be easy (especially Washington which has great pitching against a mediocre Cleveland lineup).

#87 Linus

Linus

• 2,413 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:56 AM

Double bullpen game. No problem! We our only two starters lined up to take the series and one gets rained

#88 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,115 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

Eh, it ain't over 'til it's over. Yeah ... I see the darkness ... I also see the light at the end of the tunnel ... I'll wait until said tunnel caves in on me. Until then ... there's still hope. I'm clinging to the hope.

• Dman and wabene like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#89 DesertTwinsFan

DesertTwinsFan

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:14 PM

How does it look now? Took the first two in Cleveland! Big sigh of relief. Division isn't won yet, but if the Twins can't hold the lead at this point, they aren't playing playoff-worthy ball or Cleveland is or both.

The odds of winning the division thing makes me laugh once again. Maybe they haven't updated it since the Twins swept today, although their record has been updated, but last I checked (granted, a few days ago) they had ~ 95% chance of winning the division. Now it's at 77%. And predicted number of wins would have the Twins going 8-6 against Cleveland (1 game) and the rest of the Central. While they have the Indians going 9-4 against the Twins, Philly, Washington, and other division foes. WTF?

• 70charger and Bandit34 like this

#90 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 414 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:20 PM

How does it look now? Took the first two in Cleveland! Big sigh of relief. Division isn't won yet, but if the Twins can't hold the lead at this point, they aren't playing playoff-worthy ball or Cleveland is or both.

The odds of winning the division thing makes me laugh once again. Maybe they haven't updated it since the Twins swept today, although their record has been updated, but last I checked (granted, a few days ago) they had ~ 95% chance of winning the division. Now it's at 77%. And predicted number of wins would have the Twins going 8-6 against Cleveland (1 game) and the rest of the Central. While they have the Indians going 9-4 against the Twins, Philly, Washington, and other division foes. WTF?

HUGE day for the Twins today! HUGE!

• diehardtwinsfan, Oldgoat_MN, 70charger and 1 other like this

#91 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 699 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:25 PM

It’s almost like long baseball seasons have ups and downs.
  • Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, stringer bell and 6 others like this

#92 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

Change the stats above and have Cleveland sweeping the Twins, and there isn't a game 163. I could very well see that happening if the Twins continue to score 2 runs per game.

This aged well.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair and DesertTwinsFan like this

#93 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:09 PM

So it's now September 15th and the Twins are well established in first place.

When do Minnesota fans actually acknowledge that this is a *very* good team?

• SQUIRREL, Twins33, brvama and 3 others like this

#94 70charger

70charger

• 4,420 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:55 PM

How's 2032 work for ya? I may be feeling nostalgic then...

Edited by 70charger, 14 September 2019 - 11:55 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#95 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,050 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:32 AM

If they would not acknowledge it before yesterday, why would they change now? There will be some qualifier

• RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#96 blindeke

blindeke

• 530 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:06 AM

OK I take it all back.

• birdwatcher and wabene like this

#97 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 545 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:24 AM

When they can consistently win against teams with a winning record.

#98 DesertTwinsFan

DesertTwinsFan

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:08 AM

Full disclosure: I also previously posted about the Twins' poor record vs. teams above .500, just before the Boston series, but in reality, it's not so bad in the AL at least: 

Houston 4-3

Tampa Bay 5-2

Cleveland 9-9 as we all know chance to take the series today (interesting 4-6 at home, 5-3 away)

Boston 3-3

Oakland 3-4

NYY 2-4

If you want to throw in Texas, at just 2 under .500 - 6-1

NL - Bombed. Lost all 4 series 1-2 against NL East teams above .500 (says something about the strength of that division), split with Milwaukee.

32-35 overall (throwing out Texas)

Sure AL Central is weak, but also note the Twins are 20-12 against the East and 23-10 against the West.I recall that some of their past playoff teams struggled to hit .500 against those divisions. They won every series against teams under .500 this year, so they are consistent. The Twins deserve to be where they are, hopefully win today although now they should still be able to comfortably take the division anyway, and finish strong. I've seen many Twins playoff teams (and other Minnesota teams for that matter) limp into the postseason losing their last games to poor competition, even when the games still had some meaning. Even resting some, I feel they should still beat up the remaining competition. Finish strong, guys!

• 70charger and wabene like this

#99 spycake

spycake

• 17,694 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:25 AM

When the Vikings season ends? :)

Seriously, though, this is an odd place to post this, Brock. The OP of this thread certainly wasn't saying the Twins were not a very good team, just that they were very banged up at the moment and still had some work to do to win the division. Both of those things were undoubtedly true a few days ago (much less so now, thankfully).

Beyond that, this language is subjective -- I suspect some fans might reserve the "very" good qualifier for success beyond the regular season, especially after the TR years, which isn't unreasonable and has yet to be tested this year.

This just seems like an invitation to sniping about other posters...

#100 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:33 AM

When the Vikings season ends? :)

Seriously, though, this is an odd place to post this, Brock. The OP of this thread certainly wasn't saying the Twins were not a very good team, just that they were very banged up at the moment and still had some work to do to win the division. Both of those things were undoubtedly true a few days ago (much less so now, thankfully).

Beyond that, this language is subjective -- I suspect some fans might reserve the "very" good qualifier for success beyond the regular season, especially after the TR years, which isn't unreasonable and has yet to be tested this year.

This just seems like an invitation to sniping about other posters...

Oh, it wasn't meant as a snipe at all. We all had reservations about the team after all the recent injuries and they basically wrapped up the division by dominating the second-place team in a doubleheader.

The team has a good shot at 100 wins for the season, something most of us have never seen.

The Twins are a very good team.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injuries, nicked, depth, cleveland series