Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Collapse?

injuries nicked depth cleveland series
  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#61 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,082 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:17 PM

they're not gonna win a playoff game with that lineup they put out last night

FIFY

• blindeke likes this

#62 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

The topic is collapse. The relevant competitor is Cleveland.

And/Or the wild card.....but sure. Read something into the post that wasn't made.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#63 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

I seem to recall people claiming the apocalypse was here a month or so ago on the one day Cleveland took a 1/2 game lead and that the Twins would get buried by the end of the season.

Not to say there is no cause for concern regarding injuries and a three game series in Cleveland, but baseball.

• brvama, Oldgoat_MN, wabene and 1 other like this

#64 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:27 PM

I seem to recall people claiming the apocalypse was here a month or so ago on the one day Cleveland took a 1/2 game lead and that the Twins would get buried by the end of the season.

Not to say there is no cause for concern regarding injuries and a three game series in Cleveland, but baseball.

A funny thing about the apocalypse. Occasionally I read the comments section of the Cleveland Plain Dealer* and their fans claim the apocalypse at the very times when the Twins claim we've entered heaven. Who's right? Can there be two apocalypses?**

*Was a newspaper ever better named?

*Yes, there can be.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 12 September 2019 - 02:28 PM.

• brvama likes this

#65 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 199 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, I plead guilty to that.

#66 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,638 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:32 PM

It’s hard to characterize a 90 plus win season as a collapse. If the Twins fail to make the playoffs (or even end up as a wild card) it will be because 2 or 3 teams got insanely hot down the stretch.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 12 September 2019 - 03:32 PM.

• brvama, LA VIkes Fan and wabene like this

#67 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,802 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

I guess that's what we all have to remember; this has been a fun year even if we do wind up with the proverbial turd in the punch bowl. When was the last time we had meaningful Twins games in the second half of September and possibly beyond? Other than 2017 of course. 

#68 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,331 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

Let’s not forget the Twins-Indians series is in Cleveland... we play much better on the road, so I wonder if that will help. (For those wondering, Cleveland is slightly better winning home games)
  • wabene likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#69 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,511 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

Concur. The White Sox worry me. A lot.

This year? Not so much. Next year and beyond? Absolutely concur.
  • brvama and beckmt like this

#70 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,643 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

If this team collapses and doesn't make the playoffs I will not view this as a "fun" year like some of you seem willing to do.

I'm sick of good enough. I'm sick of making strides. I'm sick of people giving them a pass because bombas are fun. Hitting the most HRs in the league and missing the playoffs would be a participation trophy, and nothing to be proud of.

Stop accepting mediocrity or the organization has no reason to go out and make the necessary moves to become more than that.

• Highabove, beckmt, notoriousgod71 and 6 others like this

#71 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

If this team collapses and doesn't make the playoffs I will not view this as a "fun" year like some of you seem willing to do.

I'm sick of good enough. I'm sick of making strides. I'm sick of people giving them a pass because bombas are fun. Hitting the most HRs in the league and missing the playoffs would be a participation trophy, and nothing to be proud of.

Stop accepting mediocrity or the organization has no reason to go out and make the necessary moves to become more than that.

Agreed.
  • laloesch, Tomj14, bighat and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#72 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 545 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

This season is almost done. To many injuries and poor pitching. On the brite side it was a great season.

#73 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,798 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:55 PM

The sky is officially falling.

• birdwatcher, notoriousgod71, bighat and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#74 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,643 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

The sky is officially falling.

I'm not quite ready to say it is, but if it does I won't give them a free pass for standing there and letting it squash them.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#75 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,470 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:40 PM

I feel a lot better with Kepler and Sanó in the (rained out) lineup today and with the word that Cave and Gonzalez are almost ready. The starting rotation is on fumes IMHO, but I believe the Twins will find a way to win a game or two vs. the Tribe.
  • brvama and 70charger like this

#76 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,050 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:27 AM

Concur. The White Sox worry me. A lot.

Why. There is nothing in their last two months that say they are more likely than not to beat you. Giolito is the only pitcher you have to worry about. He is arounf as many innings pitched for a year

#77 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,050 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:37 AM

This year? Not so much. Next year and beyond? Absolutely concur.

2005 was an aberration in White Sox history. They will find a way to implode

• wabene likes this

#78 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,050 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 04:48 AM

Gloom and doom at Twins Daily . I guess it is how some view the world. The overly optimistic usually don't last too long. There isn't reinforcement for the viewpoint

• RaymondLuxuryYacht likes this

#79 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,466 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:30 AM

Gloom and doom at Twins Daily . I guess it is how some view the world. The overly optimistic usually don't last too long. There isn't reinforcement for the viewpoint

Moderator's note: Your post prompted me to re-visit this thread. My reading of it is that it's rather balanced. And let's please not go off on a tangent that discusses the discussion, nor tries to lump groups of posters together. People are entitled to hold opinions.

• SQUIRREL, stringer bell and In My La-Z-boy like this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#80 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 414 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

If we fail to make the playoffs, it was not a fun year. It was, to be perfectly honest, a year that I will want to quickly forget. "You play the game to win. Hello?" Herm Edwards. 

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injuries, nicked, depth, cleveland series