Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Collapse?

injuries nicked depth cleveland series
  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 16,951 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:32 AM

Gibson missed under 2 weeks so basically the minimum amount of time you can spend on the IL.

Sure, his IL stint wasnt' that long, but I think there are still some questions about how he will perform, especially given the nature of his injury and his last few performance prior to going on the IL.

We held Cruz, Kepler and Cave out with very minor injuries to play it safe.Everyone is acting like they are on life support unlikely to contribute ever again.

That's been my reply to the "we must call up Kirilloff" posts, so I agree to an extent -- but until they actually come back from these "very minor injuries", there will be questions about how effective they will be upon their return. For example, Cave hasn't played in almost a week now and was slumping in the week prior to that too.

For that matter, recall that Marwin was originally expected to be back within 10 days so he wasn't even placed on the IL, despite it still being a few days before expanded rosters. Buxton was originally a "late scratch" too, and had several moments when he was near a return. Not that I expect Kepler and Cave to miss the rest of the year or anything, but it's worth questioning what level of contributions we can expect from them in the near future until they're actually back and performing.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and ScrapTheNickname like this

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,785 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

I'm not worried. But it's going to be ugly vs the Astros in the playoffs.
  • gunnarthor, brvama, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,348 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

I strongly disagree with "we'll win because of the schedule" arguments. Always have.

And for the record, the lineup we've put out the past couple nights is barely better than Detroit's, probably not better than KC's, and unquestionably worse than Chicago's.

• birdwatcher, Blake, diehardtwinsfan and 8 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 spycake

spycake

• 16,951 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:56 AM

This is a what if scenario and we don't really know where it will be by then but they are still better than what we face by a large margin.

Cleveland could be eliminated by then or have a wild card locked up already. 

Washington will probably be in the thick of the wild card hunt at that point too.They have the Braves, Phillies, Cardinals, and Indians left.They would really want to make sure they have home field advantage too.

There is still some uncertainty at this point, of course. But I thought it was worth noting, especially since it's the last 3 games of the year and Washington is currently up 3.5 to host the wild card game just 1 day after the season ends. FWIW, Fangraphs projects them to take the 1st wild card by 4 games (of course, they project us to win our division by 5 too :) ).

#25 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,039 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

I strongly disagree with "we'll win because of the schedule" arguments. Always have.

And for the record, the lineup we've put out the past couple nights is barely better than Detroit's, probably not better than KC's, and unquestionably worse than Chicago's.

I hear you. The Astudillo-Adrianza-Wade-Schoop-Castro part of the order last night looked very Detroit-ish. Cruz and Rosario are in deep slumps and non-factors right now.

It's really up to Polanco and Arraez right now to do all the damage. And Garver, when he plays.

• birdwatcher, ScrapTheNickname, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#26 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,141 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

I am going to enjoy this season, no matter how it turns out.

The late season injury bug hit and that's not something that can be planned for. Even the Twins depth has been hit by injuries.

There are a lot of upsides to this year: Team has some good bats and some of the talent that needed to step up has stepped up. 

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, nokomismod and 9 others like this

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,234 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

Concur. The White Sox worry me. A lot.

• brvama, Oldgoat_MN, Dman and 1 other like this

#28 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,737 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:13 AM

Also, I'd quibble and say Gibson "is coming back" rather than "is back" -- tonight will be his first start in a couple weeks, and I guess it remains to be seen how he will perform. (It's possible we're still seeing some performance issues with Cruz too, even though he is back.)

I would quibble with Cruz being back too. I think his wrist is still hurting him,. You can see him wince when he checks his swing. He's in a big slump - .179/.256/.286 over his last 7 games. Is it just a normal slump or is he trying to play hurt?Also, let's not g forget to add Sano to the list of players out. 

• ScrapTheNickname likes this

#29 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 464 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

Cruz, Kepler, Sano need to be healthy for the postseason.I really don't have a sense of their situations. It would be a great time for Rosario and Cron to get hot and carry the team through the next 2 weeks to allow the aforementioned 3 to rest assuming that the rest will help their conditions.

• brvama likes this

#30 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,737 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

I hear you. The Astudillo-Adrianza-Wade-Schoop-Castro part of the order last night looked very Detroit-ish. Cruz and Rosario are in deep slumps and non-factors right now.

It's really up to Polanco and Arraez right now to do all the damage. And Garver, when he plays.

Right On! Garver, Arraez and Poloanco are carrying the team right now at the plate. I think both Cruz and Rosario are hurting and would be out if the other starters were playing. They are little help right now and it's hard to see them being forces down the stretch of we can't give them a couple of days off to rest up and heal a little.Is Sano coming back soon? He would help. I never thought I'd be pining for the return of Jake Cave but I am after watching LaMonte Wade try to hit. Astudillo is fun to watch but has no business playing every day on a contending team. Same for Schoop. This is ugly and it ain't getting prettier any time soon. 

• bighat likes this

#31 TwinkieTownKiller

TwinkieTownKiller

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

If they come out of Cleveland even a game and a half up, it would take a legitimate collapse to lose the division. Even half a game would be tough. Don't underestimate how easy it is for Cleveland to lose winnable games themselves.

#32 adjacent

adjacent

• 241 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

Related to this: Any new on Marwin? That guy was plugging so many holes... If he can come back would be huge.

#33 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,026 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

Cleveland is off tonight so they would have an advantage outright if Twins have an all nighter and then have to go to Cleveland.

Appears that at least a one hour delay is going to happen ... Odorizzi should just head to Cleveland as scheduled.

#34 BrianTrottier

BrianTrottier

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 116 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

Terrible luck that everyone is hurt for the stretch. What's the point of making the playoffs if you're not healthy anyway? 

To try and win the World Series.Every team has injuries. Hopefully the players don't go in with that same fatalistic attitude.

• brvama, IndianaTwin, RaymondLuxuryYacht and 1 other like this

#35 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

Here are the runs allowed rankings over the last 14 days.I think our offense will compete with them...

30th place White Sox - 84

29th Tigers - 75

28th Royals - 69

Edited by SomeGuy, 12 September 2019 - 10:43 AM.

• denarded, Oldgoat_MN, Danchat and 1 other like this

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,785 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:56 AM

Twins are fortunate to be in such a terrible division.
  • Oldgoat_MN and jkcarew like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#37 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,702 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

I am an all out fan - bring in Kiriloff, we need a bat and someone fresh.

• nokomismod likes this

#38 denarded

denarded

• 120 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

Odds of winning the division are still at 95%, postseason odds are at 98.9%. A collapse is highly unlikely.

Gibson and Cruz are back, Kepler and Cave are listed as "any day."

13 of 17 games are against the awful Tigers, Royals, and White Sox.

Cleveland has series against Twins, Phillies, and Nationals left (9 of 15 games are against contenders compared to our 4 of 17).

Phillies are toast and are going to have the same effort Anaheim is showing

Wikipedia is for suckers

#39 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,667 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:19 AM

Garver should get at least 11 more starts the rest of the way. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

he gone!

#40 JW24

JW24

• 188 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:19 AM

Twins are fortunate to be in such a terrible division.

Yet unfortunate that this season, where the Twins have maintained position as one of the 5 best teams in the MLB, they have to deal with a division rival who is one of the 6 (or so) best teams in all of baseball.

This thread would be non-existent if it wasn't for the fact two of the best teams in baseball reside in the AL Central. The only other division that does not have a pretty clear winner is the NL Central, which is the most aggressively average division in the MLB.

• brvama and twinbythebay like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injuries, nicked, depth, cleveland series