Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Bronx Bombers Catch the Bomba Squad. Can Twins Regain Record?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• 329 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Here's hoping the Yankees get that record. What a gimmick! I don't care one bit who gets the record and do not truly understand why it was such a big deal to begin with. I do, however, care about winning the division. I was actually rather disappointed that Rosario spoke up the night they lost and yet broke the record for HRs. I think the team ought to have been highly disappointed because that dumb record means absolutely nothing. But that loss to a bad Tigers team? You bet the guys had a right to be disappointed that night. 

• JW24 and Platoon like this

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

The Yanks (mostly fans on Twitter) celebrating tying the Twins HR total in a game they lost to the worst team in baseball is what mostly set me off.

You mean these guys? :)

baseballyankeefans.gif

• glunn and JW24 like this

#23 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

I think it's very meaningful that the Twins finally have fielded a team that can hit HR's at a rate at/near the top of the league. It's an important part of being able to consistently win games. Especially in this era, where opponents WILL hit HR's.

Do I care about the record? Not in the least. Between the evolving approaches to hitting, and complicit acts of MLB (balls, new parks, etc.), the record was always destined to last about a day and a half.

• USAFChief likes this

#24 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,349 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:38 AM

Well, I don't want the Twins swinging for the fences because. They will get home runs or not get home runs. Cruz, Kepler and Sano have to stay healthy and the Twins have to feel comfortably playing Sano. 

I want Cave to get three more dingers so the Twins can at least have that record (12 players with 10+ home runs).

But the key is still winning the division and then advancing from there.

Imagine if the Yankees had Stanton all season. They would be 30 homers ahead of the Twins.

• Halsey Hall likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#25 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,469 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:50 AM

More important is for the remaining healthy three or four guys to keep barreling up as many pitches as possible. Home runs are nice, but when you've got runners on base, it's vital to keep the line moving. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#26 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 85 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

Here are two things more important than home runs:

• Don't needlessly give up outs
  • Don't give up walks

Do them and you don't have to live or die by the long ball.

• Platoon likes this

#27 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• 2,729 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

The Yankees have played two more games than the Twins. If you take away the Yankees two games (because the Twins have not played those two games yet) the Yankees would be eight home runs back, because that's where they sat two games ago.

But a more accurate way (in my mind) of thinking about it is that with two games in hand, it means the Twins are "up" as many home runs as you think they'll hit in those two games. For the season, that's about four home runs up. But for the last week-plus, that's just two home runs, which Rick Anderson's pitching staff should have no trouble making up. 

Huh?? 2 games. 1.97 home runs per game. 1.97 x 2 = 3.94. Rounded off to 4.

#28 spycake

spycake

• 16,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

Imagine if the Yankees had Stanton all season. They would be 30 homers ahead of the Twins.

I don't think so -- his replacements have hit quite a few too. Yankee DHs this season have 37 HR -- and that didn't really take away HR from other positions either. 

Split HR
C 37
1B 25
2B 19
3B 31
SS 42
LF 25
CF 28
RF 31
DH 37

Stanton himself "only" hit 38 last year, in 158 games.

Encarnacion, Voit, Mike Tauchman, Mike Ford -- all of those guys have hit plenty of HR in 2019 in place of Giancarlo Stanton.

Edited by spycake, 11 September 2019 - 12:16 PM.

#29 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 104 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

I'd rather win a World Series than have the Home Run record....We showed the Yankees we can play with them and I don't think this team is afraid of them...

#30 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,080 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:38 PM

I 'liked' some of the posts because they were in tune with my thoughts on this. I think the most interesting thing about the HR record could be its permanence of MLB decides to go back to a real baseball next year and in the future. To me this is sort of like moving the mound in to 54' and being impressed by the amount of strike outs pitchers are accruing! :).
  • h2oface, jkcarew and VivaBomboRivera! like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#31 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,240 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

To me this is sort of like moving the mound in to 54' and being impressed by the amount of strike outs pitchers are accruing! :).

They did that? Now the numbers start to make some sense! :)

• Platoon and VivaBomboRivera! like this

Always put the important things ahead of mere dire emergencies.

#32 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,402 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:09 PM

I 'liked' some of the posts because they were in tune with my thoughts on this. I think the most interesting thing about the HR record could be its permanence of MLB decides to go back to a real baseball next year and in the future. To me this is sort of like moving the mound in to 54' and being impressed by the amount of strike outs pitchers are accruing! :).

I'm with you...mostly. I agree with the sentiment that the numbers can't be interpreted in terms of where they would fit historically. About every record related to HRs is falling...most overall, most by a team, most in a month, most by a rookie in his first X games, most by a player before his 21st birthday...ad nauseam.

Still, I don't expect the 2019 team number to have much permanence. Two reasons. One, I don't think it's JUST the ball. Two, I think MLB very much wants the HRs. I think they see it as "well, if batting averages are going to be low, and strike-outs are going to be high, we need lots of home runs". And since the BA and K trends don't seem to be easing up any time soon, I'm not expecting MLB to be in any kind of a hurry to inhibit the HR trend...including materially 'correcting' the baseball.

Edited by jkcarew, 11 September 2019 - 04:19 PM.

#33 Hawkeye12

Hawkeye12

• 134 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

The Yankees got to play the Orioles 19 times vs the Twins playing them 6 times, so eventually things were going to even up.  

#34 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

The home run record for a season is it's own thing. It is not connected to getting to and winning in the play-offs. It doesn't have to be one or the other, even in one'e own mind. They are separate accomplishments that may or may not happen. It doesn't lesson one to care about one more than the other. Not caring about one doesn't make the other more likely to happen. Records are fun. Always have been. Always will be. That is why we keep track of them.

Edited by h2oface, 11 September 2019 - 05:23 PM.

#35 Marv Gustafson

Marv Gustafson

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

Maybe Pineda, Cruz, Polanco, or Rosario can hook them up with some "help"🙄

#36 Marv Gustafson

Marv Gustafson

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:17 PM

Maybe Pineda, Cruz, Polanco, or Rosario can hook them up with some "help"🙄

#37 Marv Gustafson

Marv Gustafson

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

Oops, didn't mean to post twice. What can I say, other than I am old.😏

#38 jjswol

jjswol

• 73 posts
  • LocationMinnesota or Florida

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

Why the big to-do over a possible home run record? It is only wins and losses that count in my book. A home run record is nice but not as nice as an AL Pennant waving over Target Field.

[FONT=arial black]jjswol
[/FONT]

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,049 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:43 AM

Team Season Home Run Record flags don't fly forever.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,246 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

Team Season Home Run Record flags don't fly forever.

yeah, and no matter who holds it, I suspect it gets broken in the not so distant future.